Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving WOW for a while?

• 08-08-2009 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Ok so my prepaid subscription ran out a few days ago (before the patch, typically enough) but I'm heading into 6th Year come September and WoW was a great laugh... but I think I'll drop it for a while. Do you think I'm doing the right thing? WoW just takes up a lot of time (and hard drive space...) and I spose I could play at the weekend but it seems a waste to pay for the subscription for a couple of months and only get a few days out of it.

What do you guys reckon? If I leave how long will Blizzard keep my character data? Good lord if I lose my priest and paladin I'll go insane :pac: Anyway thanks, any replies are awesome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Kick the habit for a year and then forever. :p

It's not worth doing it at the same time as your leaving, as someone who used to play at a fairly hardcore rate, I'd say that it's impossible to properly balance WoW and studying. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

The characters will be there whenever you come back. They don't delete them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

€50 says you dont last the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

I am very very glad that WOW wasn't around when I was in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

It's really not a hard habit to kick. The only thing I miss is the instances.. Onyxia's Lair is great craic. But it's just the same bloody thing from 1 to 80 with a few new abilities. The gameplay is mostly kill this, fetch that, use this item on this x amounts of time... I only played it for so long because I've a real life friend on it and I moved house so it was a good way to have a laugh and keep in touch.

Kiith I take cash or cheque :P

edit: and thanks WellyJ! Can anyone else back this up??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

WellyJ wrote: »
    I am very very glad that WOW wasn't around when I was in school.

i so agree, i would have failed my leaving.

which would have sent me to the dole queue

which ironically would have left me with more time for WoW.
    :D

to the OP, yep, quit for a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

Give it a break, at least up until the christmas holidays. It will be so rewarding to dedicate more time to the leaving, and then when you are finished your characters will still be there waiting :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ive left wow twice once for about a year second time for about six months . it dosnt matter how long you leave it for your charactors will always be there.

gl in the leaving cert. hope you do well your making the right decision leaving wow for the leaving cert. just dont replace this addiction with anything thats not study

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

agree with everyone there OP. Leave it off for a year, your education is more important than WoW and speaking from experience and im sure alot of other people will agree that you wont concentrate as much.

Something that you might consider is to un-install the game so if you do want to play you'll have to download all those horrible patches again :p

But seriously, dont play for the year, you could play for your xmas holidays as another poster said but then you wont want to stop playing when you get back to school. At the end of the day its up to you but if you do want to do well in your final exams I wouldn't recommend it.

edit - dont delete your characters and gear because if your characters are low level when you come back to WoW at summer they wont be here, as in level 30ish and below, if their above that delete them if you want they will still be there when you send in a ticket to get them restored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

Go hardcore, join a 25man raiding guild, blow off school, better yet don't even go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

sunzz wrote: »
    Go hardcore, join a 25man raiding guild, blow off school, better yet don't even go.

100% agree.... you dont NEED school seriously :D

Enjoy your youth as a gamer, you can always get some kind of job when this recession is over. And if you work for a good company they might even help you with further education fee's :eek:
    Or maybe even start your own business and become a zillionaire
    Or maybe even join the army and get a good apprenticeship and free education
    or ... or.. or ... so many possibilities other than SCHOOL AND COLLEGE :rolleyes:

Some people stand by and worship the school and education system... I strongly disagree with it I think it sucks donkeys genitle area. But thats just my opinion :D

+
    Kiith wrote: »
    €50 says you dont last the year.

What he said :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,633 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Give it up for a while man. I gave it up for my final year in college and there's no way I would have done as well as I did, let alone pass if I had my spare time taken up with raiding and dailies.

As said, save it as something to look forward to next summer if its constantly pissing rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I gave it up after Christmas in 6th year and really put the head down for the rest of the year, I guess it all depends on how well you want to do and whether you have to give up wow to be able to get those results, all depends on the person really.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I highly recommend you give up WoW. I play it fairly casually at the moment, I have a lot of hobbies I juggle around.

WoW wasn't around when I did my LC, however the game Quake was. Too much time in Quake ended up in myself doing terribly in my leaving cert. Managed to get into college somehow, quit playing quake and got a 1st class honors in my degree.

It's all about priorities, what's yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Yeah it's decided lads.... No more WoW for me until next summer (if at all). Thanks for the feedback on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Give the game up to be honest you wont miss anything even if its for a year. Gave it up my self for 6 to 7 months and back playing again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

I quit WoW 10 months ago (just before Wolk came out) after playing it for a few years. Uninstalled the game, deleted the patches I had and didn't buy Wolk. Do that and quitting it is easy. I honestly don't miss it at all and I have no inclination to go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I quit WoW 10 months ago (just before Wolk came out) after playing it for a few years. Uninstalled the game, deleted the patches I had and didn't buy Wolk. Do that and quitting it is easy. I honestly don't miss it at all and I have no inclination to go back.

Tbh, I only quit because my ex and I broke up and she'd been number one in our raiding guild and moi was number two. If that hadn't happened I'd still be playing.

When you don't play you begin to see just how much time you wasted on WoW. I'd recommend you find something less silly to make up for the free time you'll have all of a sudden, gym/sports/music/whatever, but anything to keep ya busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I play casually these days. I dont think I dedicate to the hard core raiding that some partake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

We miss you!!!!! <3

Having said that I haven't played myself for 3 months and have no inclination towards going back at the moment. Didn't really get in the raiding groove much in WotLK. I kinda disliked the homogenisation of the classes and the whole 10 man and 25 man stuff being the same instances. I could see why they took the design decisions but it just sucked the fun out of it for me. I think there was a huge over reaction on Blizzard's part to the raid stacking that was necessary in Sunwell, this was a problem but at the same time it was a problem borne out of Blizzard making the instance so hard. I didn't understand them making the raids very easy AND removing the need to stack certain classes. A normal guild only stacked classes because they had to because Sunwell was so very hard (rolling bloodlusts needed etc.) not because they wanted to. I loved having seperate 10 and 25 man raids instances too, gave the game so much more variety and fun.

My class (Enhance Shaman) was definately overpowered (at least PVE wise) in TBC but what I enjoyed about it was being a buffer with decent damage, I would have been happy with a nerf while keeping the class role. Now I have great damage but no buffs that other classes can't bring which has kinda broken (at least for me) my enjoyment of the game. Everyone being basically A.N. Other DPS is just boring.

• Advertisement
Advertisement