Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soil pipe running under extension

• 08-08-2009 3:54am

One of my neighbours is getting an externsion built on to the back of a 1950's bungalow.

To minimise costs, the builder has taken a "short cut" with the routing of the soil pipe and instead of going around the peremeter of the extension it runs under part of it.

The section of pipe is a single piece of pipe (no joins) and there are AJ's either end of the pipe run.

A friend of theirs states that this type of construction is "illegal" and that any building inspector/engineer would demand the builder removes it and runs around the perimeter, the builder is adamant that it's OK and we have asked others who work in the building trade, they also think it's OK.

But the friend still insists the installation is wrong!

My understanding is that it's OK but not "best practice".

Any comments? Technical only, this is not a legal query!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

It is not 'illegal' to pou a soil pipe beneath a building. It is also not good building practice to do it.

A soil pipe should only be brought beneath a building section where there is no other alternative. There is in this case so it should be avoided.

If a pipe is going beneath a building it should be encased in concrete where it passes underneath foundations, walls, etc.

An old mentor of mine always insisted any pipe going underneath a building should be fully encased in concrete making it expensive therefore forcing the builder to consider all other options first. It is not a practice to be carried out to save money, very bad workmanship, imo.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Assuming it is a private sewer (probably is as it is running to back of house) sounds o.k. to me - pretty commom parctice when your doing extensions in the city.

Once pipe is haunched in concrete, continuous, with no joints or connections to other wastes, and is accessible either end (by ajs as you mentioned) should be no problem whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

1: One of my neighbours is getting an externsion built on to the back of a 1950's bungalow.

2: My understanding is that it's OK but not "best practice".

Any comments? Technical only, this is not a legal query!

1: Roscommon getting over populated:)

2: I agree . One of the problems with the divert around the extension idea is given that the existing invert level on the left and right of the proposed extension will not change means that the longer pipe run around the extension wont have the right gradient if it is to match up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭denisor

This to my mind is fine once it's in concrete, it's the only way to do it in built up areas, say where a soil runs along the back of a terrace of dwellings and one house extends over it, putting an inspection aj at either side is also good practice, along with one continous pipe, the alternative idea of going round the buillding and possibly not having a suitable fall along with 4 bends is not to my mind the better way, the shortest, direct way from a to b for waste is best, as opposed to bends slowing the run down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

it will be grand. get him to air test the pipe when he backfills it.

if the is no joins or bends have an aj at both ends is grand!!! ensure the fall is enough and thats it.

bury and forget.!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just to add....if pipe is above foundation level, i.e. foundations are under the pipe, make sure to incorporate lintel to form ope in rising walls. If pipe is under the foundations incorporate layer of steel mesh both to the top and the bottm of the foundation - top one approx. a metre or so either side of foundation or better still, ask engineer to inspect and specify.

Thanks all, that's what I thought.

Just need to tell the friend to stfu ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭denisor

Thanks all, that's what I thought.

Just need to tell the friend to stfu ;)

Good call, ( visualizing that scene in Airplane, when even the nun ques up to slap the hysterical passenger!)

Advertisement