Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Brom V Newcastle United Match Thread - 08/08/09

• 08-08-2009 8:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭

Live on BBC 1 and BBC HD from 5:15pm this evening.
    Kick off: 5:30pm

Streams: http://www.justin.tv/vip_euro_2/popout

I'll add some more when my Firefox stops being a pain in the ass.

After around 3 months of what can only be described as a sh*t storm, Newcastle United embark on what will most likely be, our most difficult season to date.

After months of speculation regarding takeover deals etc, we are still none the wiser as to what is happening on Tyneside.

And so players have been leaving the club and as of yet we have not brought any new faces in and so we are left with a very short and unbalanced squad going into our first game at The Hawthornes this evening.

Pre season has been hit and miss with our defeat in the hands of Leyton Orient being our most embarrassing result.

I was reading an interview with Steven Taylor and he was saying that the players are now working well with each other and that the mood is good in the dressing room.
    Well I've no doubt we'll see if this is the case come kick off this evening.

As horrible as pre season and BS speculation has been, I would be more than satisfied with the 3 points this evening to give ourselves the best possible start to this tough campaign.

Team news:

West Brom: Striker Ishmael Miller is out with a cruciate problem, while midfielder James Morrison is doubtful with a heel injury and winger Chris Brunt is struggling.

Newcastle United: AFAIK Guthrie and Butt will both miss this game with injuries so it's anyone's guess who will be starting in the centre of midfield for us this evening.

With that said:

TOON TOON

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Looking forward to this. I find Newcastle a fascinating club. It will be interesting to see how they cope with such bad management.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

C'MON the Toon! Have always had a soft spot for Newcastle UTD. Hope they return to the PL ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Someone like Taylor or Harps need to say a few words about Sir Bobby in that dressing room before hand.

Sir-Bobby-Robson-RIP-001.jpg

If they can't put a shift in for that great man, then we haven't got a hope this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

This is on BBC1? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

bryanjf wrote: »
    This is on BBC1? :confused:

Tis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

after watching the boro game its easy to see this season has kicked off in top gear .. gonna need a performance from the start, and without a manager or a clue whats going on yet this good be a tough tough game and set us off in one direction or the other very quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Newcastle - English soccer's equivalent of the Dublin football team. Lots of hype but never really do anything. That said they have a lovely stadium and probably the best supporters in the land.

Good luck this season - except against Forest :wink:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've thrown some streams into my original post in case any of you can't get near a TV to watch this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »

Tell me about it mate.

I was just down at The Track, a bookies where I live, and they were offering 3/1 for Newcastle to win the match. Decent value I thought. Was gonna have a little flutter but decided against it. Anytime I've bet on Newcastle to win they've always lost so don't want to continue that trend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Any sign of the team yet?

Any sign of the team yet?

Not yet but I reckon it should be online in the next 5 or 10 minutes.

EDIT: Steve Harper, Ryan Taylor, Jose Enrique, Steven Taylor, Fabricio Coloccini, Alan Smith (c), Jonas Gutierrez, Damien Duff, Kevin Nolan, Shola Ameobi, Andy Carroll
    Subs: Tim Krul, Tamas Kadar, Geremi, Kazenga LuaLua, Joey Barton, Xisco, Nile Ranger

WBA TBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

That_Guy wrote: »
    Not yet but I reckon it should be online in the next 5 or 10 minutes.

EDIT: Steve Harper, Ryan Taylor, Jose Enrique, Steven Taylor, Fabricio Coloccini, Alan Smith (c), Jonas Gutierrez, Damien Duff, Kevin Nolan, Shola Ameobi, Andy Carroll
    Subs: Tim Krul, Tamas Kadar, Geremi, Kazenga LuaLua, Joey Barton, Xisco, Nile Ranger

WBA TBC

Alan fukcing Smith as captain. Hughton you're clueless.

Where the fcuk is Barton!?!

Nolan and Shola in the starting 11 spells ugly ugly football.

ziggy wrote: »

Not sure to be honest. He should really be starting IMO. Take Nolan out of there.

Very strong team we've got out though. I just hope they can play well together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

In fairness not too bad a team. Few options on the bench too.

C'mon the Toon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Used to love Geremi. Totally forgot about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Talksport are reporting that Bartons had a bust up with Houghton so thats the reason he's on the bench.

Cake Man wrote: »
    In fairness not too bad a team. Few options on the bench too.

C'mon the Toon

Good to see Kadar and Ranger on the bench. Strong enough bench (bar Geremi).

We really should beat West Brom today. Here's their team.

Scott Carson, Gianni Zuiverloon, Jonas Olsson, Shelton Martis, Marek Cech, Youssouf Mulumbu, Jonathan Greening (c), Chris Brunt, Robert Koren, Chris Wood, Luke Moore
    Subs: Dean Kiely, Filipe Teixeira, Reuben Reid, Simon Cox, Leon Barnett, Graham Dorrans, Craig Beattie

Martis is such a liability at the back for West Brom so I reckon Jonas should have a good time of it today against him.

We'll need to be very wary of Brunt and Luke Moore though. Both possess a fair bit of pace so we'll need to be on our toes and close them down.

They've a strong enough bench too. Well strong options with regards attackers in Leon Barnett and Craig Beattie.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

JimBob85 wrote: »
    Talksport are reporting that Bartons had a bust up with Houghton so thats the reason he's on the bench.
    Joey Barton never fell out with anyone in his life:D

blinding wrote: »
    Joey Barton never fell out with anyone in his life:D

Except his mother when he was born.

So lads, what do ye reckon this bust up is about??

Maybe he told him not to smoke his cigar in the dressing room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah looking at their team, it's not fantastic by any means, we can beat them, just depends how much all the off-field matters will affect us on the field.
    That Chris Brunt is handy enough for them, decent left foot on him. Jonathan Greening decent enough too.
    Have a feeling we'll get something out of this game.....hopefully. :)

Cake Man wrote: »
    Yeah looking at their team, it's not fantastic by any means, we can beat them, just depends how much all the off-field matters will affect us on the field.
    That Chris Brunt is handy enough for them, decent left foot on him. Jonathan Greening decent enough too.
    Have a feeling we'll get something out of this game.....hopefully. :)

Gotta think positively. I'll be interested to hear what Shearer has to say in the coverage on BBC.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Gotta think positively. I'll be interested to hear what Shearer has to say in the coverage on BBC.

Well this is on their site now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/8191320.stm

JimBob85 wrote: »

Nice. Give him the bleeding job.

Anyway I'll be off to watch the match. Be back at half time for the hopeful celebratory posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Iolar wrote: »
    Any working streams lads?

One here.

http://atdhe.net/8352/watch--west-brom-vs-newcastle-united

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Entertaining start. Newcastle were really let off the hook there with some poor defending, shocking finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

http://iraqgoals.net/ch5.html as well

Good start, same ol same ol, looking shakey at the back, giving the ball away when under no pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

4 years since Alan Smith scored a league goal :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Good match so far, nice to have championship games on BBC this year, means I can keep an eye on swansea.

Hopefully later in the season, where there are a few games one at the same time, they will be doing the multi screen thing so you can choose your match rather than being stuck watching Newcastle and Boro all season.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Good match so far, nice to have championship games on BBC this year, means I can keep an eye on swansea.

Hopefully later in the season, where there are a few games one at the same time, they will be doing the multi screen thing so you can choose your match rather than being stuck watching Newcastle and Boro all season.

The BBC only have the rights to show 10 Championship games till 2012

Ipswich v Newcastle on Sep 26th
    Derby v QPR on Oct 24th
    Cardiff v Notts Forest on Nov 1st.

Todays game and the other 3 are the only ones confirmed so far.

Jasus, duff in microcosm there, 1:1 and he has to go back to the halfway line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Really need to attack more. WBA midfield looks rubbish.

Ameobi standing still when he should have been in on Carson there, wake up lad!

Andy Carroll looks like he could be a really good player at this level.

you beat me to it, really strong game so far

Pity Ameobi isn't reading him at all.

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Pity Ameobi isn't reading him at all.

who has he ever read, comparable with Gary Doherty, donkey

M5 wrote: »
    who has he ever read, comparable with Gary Doherty, donkey
    Harsh on Gary Doherty.

anyones stream working?

edit got one

Coloccini really is useless.

Carroll is playing far too deep, he's behind the play far too often.

Someone needs to pull him aside and give him a little shout to let him know that when the wingers are ahead of him he's DOING IT WRONG!!!!!!!!

Coloccini really is useless.

He was soooo good when he was 21 at Milan, dunno what happened to him in Spain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

BBC HD is pissing me off at the moment

when the ball goes in the bright areas of the pitch

the contrast/brightness changes non-stop

M5 wrote: »
    anyones stream working?

edit got one

Got a link?

also, The wingers need to switch, jonas is doing alright on the left but Duff is totally one footed and needs to be on the opposite side to work to his best, he is wasted on the right.

think Colocini is WBA best player

• Advertisement
Advertisement