Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Brom V Newcastle United Match Thread - 08/08/09

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Finishing fail

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's been said a million times, but man, newcastle's defence is an absolute shambles.

super stuff from krul again.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

Headshot wrote: »
    there ya go newcastle score
    and i was about to say we all know what happens next .. thank god, always a nervey time after we score

Kruel looks a great shot stopper
    Should have done better imo. Straight at him and he parried it right back out, should have stayed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

who put money on newcastle at HT

duff's a different animal this half.

good to see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Should have done better imo. Straight at him and he parried it right back out, should have stayed up.

for a 21 year old making his league debut and only his second game for the first team e is doing very well (except for that corner a while back).

Seaneh wrote: »
    for a 21 year old making his league debut and only his second game for the first team e is doing very well (except for that corner a while back).
    Oh he is, did very well earlier to save it for said corner, needs a bit more composure though, which will come with experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

who put money on newcastle at HT
    Wish I had

Duff is making some nice breaks now as well .. amazing what a goal can do to him

• Advertisement

Wish I had

ah shouldve chance a fiver ;)

just need 1 team to win, prefer west brom

there's...............joey!

and Barton coming on .. well done Chris ... now why didn't he start?? :confused:

Who's coming off though?

Should throw Smith up front n take off Shola

this.

Well the talksport chatter about a row between barton and the boss seem to be a load of ****e, seemed on pretty good terms just now while they were chatting.

nolan off

krul again.

for all newcastle's general dominance in possession, albion have easily had the best chances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you want to be a hero at St James Park make sure you are a keeper.

Carroll going off

looks like it's carroll coming off.

am i missing something? shola's playing sh*te right?

SlickRic wrote: »
    looks like it's carroll coming off.

am i missing something? shola's playing sh*te right?
    He is sh^te

this game has gotten awfully sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

Bring xisco on for the last 10 mins, give us a bit of pace up front..

• Advertisement

Krul = World class shot stopper in the making.

Newcastle lacking pace in the middle, they have bags of it on the wings but their middle six are so slow.

They would really benefit from some real pace.

Will he get a run in the team though?

And remember David Marshall in the Nou Camp

Barton doing very well since he came on.

bloody draw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Happy enough with the draw, that will be one of the toughest of our season so can't complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Doesn't look too comfortable at the meat and two veg stuff though. How many times have we seen a keeper make some good saves in a game, and still be a beaten docket long term?

WBA will feel a little hard done by I think. The good news for Newcastle is that they just played one of the toughest ties they'll have all year. However, the cracks are there for all to see. For me, getting rid of Spider Man and Coloccini are musts. They had very poor games, making silly mistakes. Find a way to offload them, and give the resulting game time to younger players at the club. If you have to have poor players involved, they may as well be young players who want to be there and improve.

If you can keep the likes of Duff, Nolan, Smith and Barton around you will have players that are top echelon at this level. Whether their ability is negated by their cost and interest level is another matter of course, it wouldn't be the first time a club with off the field problems won games on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Krul was absolutely fantastic today. Did really well. I saw him when he was in goal for us against Parma two seasons ago and did extremely well then too.
    Great to have two fantastic keepers at the club.

Coloccini looked a little bit more composed in the second half than he did in the first but he needs to take that fancy football aspect out of his game especially when in the corner in our own half. Ridiculous carry on. Just belt the ball and clear it that way.

Duff was much better in the second half. He moved around a lot more and was finding a lot of space. Glad he got the goal. I personally think he should have been captain over Smith but what can you do. Got Duff at 4/1 to score anytime. Quids in.

Smith played very well today. I was very impressed with his overall performance. Tackled very very well and worked very hard to get the ball back for us whenever we lost it.

Jonas doesn't seem to enjoy Championship football in the slightest. He had it all his own way in the first half but West Brom wised up to him and had two players on him at all times. Bit of a diver really tbh and I don't like seeing that from him seeing as he impressed me greatly in his first season at Newcastle.

Ameobi was wasteful and we really need to get another out and out striker in there because Ameobi is NOT a prolific goal scorer. I personally think Xisco should have been playing ahead of him tbh.

Nolan was extremely quiet throughout bar him setting Duff up for that goal.

There's a lot of positives I can take out of that game but we really need to strengthen our squad considerably. There's 45 games left in the league alone minus FA Cup and Carling Cup games so we can't expect to rely on the squad of players we have now because it's not going to happen.

Newcastle supporters were fantastic as ever and really made some fantastic noise for us today which is what we need on the road and especially at home.

Hopefully something will materialize next week regarding potential buyers for the club so we can strengthen our squad in key areas.

Good performance overall but we really need to tighten up and keep the ball a bit better.

Roll on Reading next week.

SlickRic wrote: »
    krul again.

for all newcastle's general dominance in possession, albion have easily had the best chances.

Wait a minute.... That's just what the commentator said. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Couple of things i noticed. Coloccini for Newcastle is a liability, he's very clumsy and gives away silly frees. Duff seemed to be back to near his best at times in the second half and it was a lovely finish for the goal. Nolan was steady, Smith played well, put in some great tackles, worked hard and showed some nice touches and flicks. Krul was unreal, although he did get a rush of blood to the head now and again.

For a club in crisis Newcastle showed enough today to suggest they have the stomach for the fight.

grenache wrote: »
    Couple of things i noticed. Coloccini for Newcastle is a liability, he's very clumsy and gives away silly frees. Duff seemed to be back to near his best at times in the second half and it was a lovely finish for the goal. Nolan was steady, Smith played well, put in some great tackles, worked hard and showed some nice touches and flicks. Krul was unreal, although he did get a rush of blood to the head now and again.

For a club in crisis Newcastle showed enough today to suggest they have the stomach for the fight.

I could've told you that last season. ;)

Spot on though with your other analysis though apart from maybe Nolan who wasn't really in the game all that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

That_Guy wrote: »
    I could've told you that last season. ;)

Spot on though with your other analysis though apart from maybe Nolan who wasn't really in the game all that much.

Nolan was alot better in the second half when obviously hughton told him to get more forward, leave alan smith do the grunt work in midfield, i must say i though smith was awesome today.

Nolan was alot better in the second half when obviously hughton told him to get more forward, leave alan smith do the grunt work in midfield, i must say i though smith was awesome today.

I just hope he continues on these type of performances because we really do need someone like that in midfield. Someone who can control the middle of the park and track back.

Really was incredible today so fair play to him. He may not have scored since 2005 but his work rate is sensational and has to be admired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Biggest problem with Coloccini is his positional sense, especially with set-pieces. I also get the feeling that his confidence must be low, there were several times when he allowed himself to be pushed off the ball or lost a ball to indecision.

Carroll also has the potential to be a real star, only if Newcastle play to his strengths. Play the ball to his head and he'll knock it down to an attacking player 90% of the time. If you play the ball behind the defenders, he is surprisingly quick that he should be able to outpace most defenders.

Even with a depleted squad, Newcastle were clearly a class above one of the strongest teams in the Championship. If they can keep things consistant, they should easily get promoted this season.

Biggest problem with Coloccini is his positional sense, especially with set-pieces. I also get the feeling that his confidence must be low, there were several times when he allowed himself to be pushed off the ball or lost a ball to indecision.

Carroll also has the potential to be a real star, only if Newcastle play to his strengths. Play the ball to his head and he'll knock it down to an attacking player 90% of the time. If you play the ball behind the defenders, he is surprisingly quick that he should be able to outpace most defenders.

Even with a depleted squad, Newcastle were clearly a class above one of the strongest teams in the Championship. If they can keep things consistant, they should easily get promoted this season.

You've got it spot on but in the first half Carroll was playing too deep at times for my liking. Ameobi up front on his own simply won't work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement