Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired xbox 360 joypad

Options
  • 08-08-2009 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Will a wired xbox 360 joypad work on the pc? Specifically with a games for windows live game.

I can see the xbox for windows controller on amazon but I can't find it in a bricks and mortars store locally.

Cheers,

Woden

[edit] some research says yes but confirmation would be great [/edit]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Yup

Have been using one without any issues for a couple of years
    Vista and Windows 7 will pick it up automatically, but XP will have to connect to the interweb to get drivers afair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

cheers.

/toddles off to the store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Can you still get wired controllers in Ireland?

I'm in America and they can't be found for love nor money. Instead it's this wireless adapter bull**** that is nearly impossible to find on its own so you have to fork over about $60 for the pleasure of having it with another gamepad.

Best PC gamepad is the xbox 360 one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

its impossible to find one in a store, ive been looking for one for a good while

at the moment they only have the wireless pad and receiver packs, as they dont even sell the recievers seperately anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I picked one up in Game in Galway about a fortnight ago. Sometimes HMV get a few in.

They're bloody rare, but they can be found if you look.

They work fine with Vista, anyway. Hell, most games seem to configure the buttons automatically to Xbox defaults. Handy. On the other hand, support for other gamepads seems to be dying off. I happily used a PS2 controller via adaptor for years, but newer games like Prototype don't seem to register any controller besides the Xbox one. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Yeah picked it up this afternoon. No problems here realised when I got back there was a compatible with windows vista thing also on the top right hand side of the back of the box.

Was picked up automatically and tried it out with Saints Row 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I got 2 of these, just as good as the original 360 one, autodetects in Vista same as an original M$ one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I recently bought the wireless Xbox360 controller for use with windows, Its 40 euro in most game stores in the city center and you get the wireless receiver with it, I was playing loads of games with it, Really handy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    I recently bought the wireless Xbox360 controller for use with windows, Its 40 euro in most game stores in the city center and you get the wireless receiver with it, I was playing loads of games with it, Really handy.

30 euro in gamestop today, boss

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I got 2 of these, just as good as the original 360 one, autodetects in Vista same as an original M$ one
    I wouldn't go as far to say they are just as good, because it really depends on what you're using it for. The analogue sticks are smaller and triggers really cheap and weak on the Madcatz controller, but the d-pad is superior. So, if you're mainly going to play FPS, you're best off paying extra for the official controller, and if you want to play arcade games on the 360, buy the Madcatz SFIV FightPad which has a superior d-pad to both the Madcatz and official 360 controller.

I've bought two of those Madcatz controllers, and on the first the right-trigger's spring came off within a month without excessive play, and the second now inputs 'right' on either the d-pad or analogue on its own. The build quality isn't great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

second hand pads ftl

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the one I got wasnt. Just came from china. But it was an official pad. Same packaging, same everything. Just the difference between getting it from microsoft who got it from the chinese or getting it from the chinese.

check out the seller though man, has a good record. New item, 20 bucks /w/ shipping.

ebay is grand you just need to give it a little faith. Havent been duped on anything yet Ill tell you that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    I wouldn't go as far to say they are just as good, because it really depends on what you're using it for. The analogue sticks are smaller and triggers really cheap and weak on the Madcatz controller, but the d-pad is superior. So, if you're mainly going to play FPS, you're best off paying extra for the official controller, and if you want to play arcade games on the 360, buy the Madcatz SFIV FightPad which has a superior d-pad to both the Madcatz and official 360 controller.

I've bought two of those Madcatz controllers, and on the first the right-trigger's spring came off within a month without excessive play, and the second now inputs 'right' on either the d-pad or analogue on its own. The build quality isn't great.

Fps, Ewww. I use kb & mouse. I just cant use a controller for FPS anymore. I got the controllers for Grid as its the only one I needed them for, so they're good enough for my needs. I take Your point tho, maybe they're not good enough for FPS, I've no idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

30 euro in gamestop today, boss

You serious? That's where i bought it! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i got mad catz xbox wired pad in argos other day 30
    it was 22 in belfast
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I got one in game last year, I had to ask for it though they didn't have them on the shelves.

I thought I heard on here that the wireless controller would work with a standard bluetooth thingiemabob.

Advertisement