Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy long lead?

Options
  • 08-08-2009 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

We adopted a labrador puppy there a month ago and although we've fetched him off lead once now it really makes me nervous to let him off lead, and I always put him straight back on the second I see another dog. He's 5 months old and as we're not going to neuter him until 18 months I know soon he'll be a particularly big wander risk.

I was just wondering if anyone knew where we could buy a long (close to 50 ft) lead to play fetch with him and make sure he gets the exercise he needs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Nevermind, did the math on the 20m one available on zooplus, aparently that's 65 feet. sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Xiney - is that a retractable lead? I have a bichon and I have gone through more leads than I care to think about. Do you know of any good retractable leads?

Sorry if this hijacking your thread. I will start a new thread if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

no, it's a field lead for a labrador.

I've never owned a retractable lead (flexi do a giant one which is supposedly ok for labradors but I don't know if I believe that) so I don't know much about them, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You're better off with the field lead the retractable ones can get stuck or sometimes you can't roll them in quick enough. With the field lead you can wrap it around your arm when walking on the road and then when in an open area unravel it so probably safer than the retractable.

Off to check out the field leads been looking for some myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

We got our 50ft lead off eBay - worked out very cheap even including postage. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭vodkababy

I got a thick rope in a hardware shop, bought a clip for the end and melted the end and put strapping around it and made my own lead. It works and is cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

vodkababy wrote: »
    I got a thick rope in a hardware shop, bought a clip for the end and melted the end and put strapping around it and made my own lead. It works and is cheaper.
    Except when the dog makes an unexpected bolt for something and you end up with rope burn! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭vodkababy

Top Dog wrote: »
    Except when the dog makes an unexpected bolt for something and you end up with rope burn! :eek:

No, it's a soft rope I got, for exactly that reason :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

maxi zoo have some if that helps they seem pretty cheepas well:)

Advertisement