Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

theres no hope for us :(

Options
  • 08-08-2009 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/bord-snip-boss-paid-836435000--for-just--45-days-1854874.html
    ECONOMIST Colm McCarthy was paid a fee of €35,000 for telling the Government how to cut public spending by €5bn, it was confirmed last night.

But the An Bord Snip Nua Chairman was the only member of the board to get paid.

The cost of tea, coffee and sandwiches for the group hired to make recommendations on how the Government could stop wasting money came to over €2,300. And the taxpayer will have to fork out a further €1,038 on couriers.

The group held 52 formal meetings on 45 separate days, giving Mr McCarthy €777 for each of those days.

But given that some meetings did not last a full day, Mr McCarthy's average daily rate comes closer to €1,000

Shame on you Colm and co! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

ei.sdraob wrote: »

Why?

If the Irish economy (big if I realise) is able to recover as a result of An Snip Nua he's really been paid very little. Amazing that everyone else did it without any payment at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

greendom wrote: »
    Why?

If the Irish economy (big if I realise) is able to recover as a result of An Snip Nua he's really been paid very little. Amazing that everyone else did it without any payment at all

These people are telling the government what to do while:
    The cost of tea, coffee and sandwiches for the group hired to make recommendations on how the Government could stop wasting money came to over €2,300

Am I the only one who can spot the irony here? :rolleyes:

And yes all the ministers have to do is visit boards :D and get answers without any payment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Yes, but you got this information from a tabloid newspaper. €35,000 is not excessive for this service, in fact it's very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    These people are telling the government what to do while:

Am I the only one who can spot the irony here? :rolleyes:

And yes all the ministers have to do is visit boards :D and get answers without any payment :)

I don't see any irony - great, fantastic value if it works out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

I don't think it's too draconian to expect someone on €1,000 a day to buy their own lunch.

After all, I'm a public servant on a lot less (not that you'd believe it according to some threads on here) but shock horror, if I want a cup of tea, I have to pay for it myself.

Hypocritical bolloxology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Yixian

As far as I can tell from over here, McCarthy is basically the single biggest threat to the future or Ireland :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Yixian wrote: »
    As far as I can tell from over here, McCarthy is basically the single biggest threat to the future or Ireland :D;)

everything you know is wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭rs

Somehow, I really fail to see what the big deal is here.

Everyone other that McCarthy was giving up their own time for no money and people quibble about them having free tea and sandwiches? How many people here would work for the next 45 days for no money? Fair play to all of those who gave up their time for nothing other than a coffee and sandwiches.

The 35k for McCarthy is a lot, but obviously a lot less than he would usually charge for such services. Why should he work for free?

The government wanted a report on how to cut costs. They found someone who could deliver it, they agreed a price for his time and he produced a report. This is how a free market works. If this does not suit people, there are still a few communist countries out there.

Given the government had a significant number of people working on this for the best part of two months and only had to pay out 38K in total. I think they got a bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

How can government buying services be considered a part of "free market", the opposite of market is government. There can be no "free market" as long as there is government.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

typical indo populist crap

he didnt just work for 45 days anyway
    what about prep work for the interviews
    research........data analysis , evaluation and producing the report itself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

if his report is implemented , it will be the best money this sorry state ever spent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

irish_bob wrote: »
    if his report is implemented , it will be the best money this sorry state ever spent

Exactly

And besides the report was in fairness a considerable body of work that took some time to compile.

I'm as against this government as you can get but some of the lines the Indo papers take is starting to get poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭deisebabe

I'm as against this government as you can get but some of the lines the Indo papers take is starting to get poor

I dont get it. The article just seems to have the details, a ridiculous response from labour, and a more inteligent response from an economist.

I agree that if this works out it is money well spent, and considering what he could be earning that amount seems fair enough. Also much as this government wrecks my head the least that could be done for the volunteers was some sambos and tea. Sure you'd do that for any volunteers. Just a shame the cheap a$$ government cant take it out of their own pockets since they are the ones that have failed at their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Considering the amount of money that was spent on the tribunals over the last number of years, that nothing good ever came out of, this is a bargain at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I think it was a reasonable fee for a professionals time. I'm happy anyway!

Advertisement