Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courses in cat 5/6 and or fibre optic

Options
  • 08-08-2009 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

I'm an apprentice electrician and I'm looking to do some courses in the above. I do both domestic and commercial wiring where we run cat 5 cable and sometimes terminate them into a patch panel and RJ-45 sockets. The thing is we just leave it at that and I've no idea what they are used or what they can be used for.

So if anyone could point me towards some good courses that would be beneficial then I'd much appreciate it.

I have never worked with Fibre optic cable but I guess it'll be used more in the future and I'd like to know more about it.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Del,

There are only one or two place in Ireland that do it, tonnes in the UK as usual so as a rule they are very very expensive to do. There are two types of courses. the one day give you a brief run down on systems, rules, terminations. The second is a week long city and guils certified course. the certified ones are roughly 1000 - 1400 euro each and the day course prob 200-300.

If you do one, whats going to surprise you is not "what structured cabling can be used for" but how many mistakes you and your senior sparks were probably making while installing. Cat5e/cat6 can be used for nearly anything. Data, voice, video, audio, alarm, CCTV, you name it..

Anyways the only ones I know that do it are Wood communications. Google them and you'll get their details. they do courses every couple of months..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Del007

Cheers for that

The cost doesn't bother me as I'm able to claim it all back but at the moment I wont be able to take days off, hopefully they run courses on Saturdays. I'll give wood communications a bell on Monday.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Swindon

would there be alot of jobs relating to this course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Right now no, but i all sepends where you are. In my business I do three main services. Certified computer networks, Toshiba Telephone Systems and CCTV. The sectors that have been hit with the "R" are telephones systems, as these are a major expense so people are putting new installs on hold to excuse the pun and the networks are mainly repair and maintenance. Networks is a good business if there are new offices, commercial services opening but all those have stopped. Im kept busy none the less but I am one of the few people in my county actively doing it and I am a licenced installer for a high quality brand.

Over the next few years these sectors will recover..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Del007

I contacted Wood communications, they don't run any courses on Saturdays and as I've just started a new job I don't want to be asking for time off. I'll keep looking

• Advertisement
Advertisement