Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lymhoma

Options
  • 08-08-2009 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Just found out our 12 year old collie cross has lymphoma. My heart is broken.

I found him on the side of the road in a ditch 12 years ago and my Dad let me bring him home. He had either been abandoned by his mother or owner. He turned into the sweetest, happiest dog in the world.

He's never had medical problems in the past apart from eating poison as a pup (feckin farmers!), but he pulled through it. Because he is a mix everything he's made of hardy stuff I thought he would live a lot longer.

A few weeks ago I noticed a lump under is throat. It wasn't bothering him so thought nothing of it. However in the last week, he stopped eating his food and was depressed so we broght him to the vet and he broke the bad news. Every gland in his body is swollen. He gave him some shots and steroids which perked him up and he's back(ish) to normal for now.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of Lymphoma? How long did your pet live after diagnosis? Last thing we want is for him to suffer.The vet said he looked very healthy otherwise but I fear the day he will take a turn for the worst...

Sorry I just needed to share....:(:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I'm really, really sorry to hear this.

My rottie cross, Gus was diagnosed with lymphoma on July 31st last year, he died exactly a month later. We decided not to go down the chemo route. He was only 5, always been healthy, but got a red eye, which I thought was an allergic reaction to something, took him to the vets, they said it could be an allergy, or could be something else. They took some bloods, and he was diagnosed within a week.

I was told that life expectancy was 4-6 weeks after diagnosis.

I really feel your pain, please enjoy the time that you have left together, and make sure you spoil him rotten. Their lives are just too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

i'm really sorry , i do hope things work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Hey Kazooie so sorry to hear about your little fella. Here's my story
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055611194

She's still going strong (diagnosis April '07).

It's a tough one..and good luck to Rex.Its a very common disease and unfortunately he will succumb to it(it goes into remission it cant be cured). It sounds like he's on Pred at the moment. Ask your vet about the chemo protocols that can be done (if you are willing to go down that route). Any questions or help i can give you please PM me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

I'm so sorry to hear your news. My mum's dog was diagnosed with lymphoma at the beginning of November 2008 and passed away on December 29th 2008. She was almost 14 and otherwise in very good health. Mum noticed lumps on her neck and shoulders but as she was well ignored them. She mentioned it to me and I advised having them checked anyway. Her lymphoma was very advanced when it was diagnosed and mum decided not to put her on chemo. Her meds were increased gradually and she was active and well literally up to the end. She was a little lethargic for all of the day before she died. During the night her breathing became laboured but she wasn't distressed. She seemed to get weaker and weaker so mum called the vet who put her to sleep at around 6.00am. She passed peacefully lying on her blanket beside the fire. Mum had decided to watch and wait - as soon as she saw her quality of life diminish she decided she'd call the vet which is what happened even though I was praying she'd pass in her sleep.
    Mum was devastated but had come to terms with it at the end. She had quality time with her and was grateful for that.

Advertisement