Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions re. FCA1 Form

Options
  • 08-08-2009 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

completing the new FCA1 form having received my Extension of Firearm Cert letter from the Gardai.

I have a few questions:

1. Pulse Application Number (in the top left of Page 1). I don't know what this is. I have my Pulse ID. Anyone know if this is completed by the Gardai?

2. Section 2.3. References. I already have a Firearms Cert. Do I still have to give character references?

3. Section 3.2. Accessories. Sights/Other. Are we to list the make of any telescopic sight?

Thanks for all you help,

Paul.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Hello all,

completing the new FCA1 form having received my Extension of Firearm Cert letter from the Gardai.

I have a few questions:

1. Pulse Application Number (in the top left of Page 1). I don't know what this is. I have my Pulse ID. Anyone know if this is completed by the Gardai?
    It says "for use by An Garda Siochana". You start with Section 1.
    2. Section 2.3. References. I already have a Firearms Cert. Do I still have to give character references?
    They're referees, not references. Just a couple of people who know you and are over 18 I think. Let them know you're using their names though.
    3. Section 3.2. Accessories. Sights/Other. Are we to list the make of any telescopic sight?
    This is only for sights that are considered 'firearms' under the firearms acts such as laser pointing sights or light intensifier sights.
    Thanks for all you help,
    You're welcome.

I think there's a thread on here about the form and I have a walkthrough posted early in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 big jon 55

does anyone know wat the proof of competence is??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

big jon 55 wrote: »
    does anyone know wat the proof of competence is??

just state your experience to date ,have you done any firearm related courses ? .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

jwshooter wrote: »
    just state your experience to date ,have you done any firearm related courses ? .

For first time shooters only. If its a re-application for an existing firearm then no need to fill it in.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 big jon 55

no i havent done a coarse, bt ive been shooting in ranges for like 5 years. should i just write that down??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 burke08

first time application...
    just wondering what am i supposed to write for the proof of competence bit??

thank in advance.

You're best bet lads is to attach a copy of all courses taken and passed. If you haven't done any courses then (big jon) try get a letter from one or all ranges you shot on or the one you shoot on most, stating you are a practising member/particpant of the range and that you at all times showed competency, safety and awareness of other shooters to a satisfactory (very satisfactory) level. Or something along those lines.

Burke what are you applying for? I'm not a 100% on what you should do for a first time application. If its shotgun my advice would be to visit a local clay range (icpsa affiliated if possible) Ask for a coach and do a few basic safety and shooting procedures with them. Then ask for a cert of competency from them. Same basic rules if its .22 rifle. Go to a local rifle club/range and follow the same procedure. Problem you may have is some clubs may or may not accomodate you. Ask and see. I'm sure some lads here may have better/easier options.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

it an o/u shotgun. i do a bit of clay shooten but its not a clay range / icpsa affiliated. i might go to a proper club and see about a few leassons/safety procdures.

thanks fr the advice.

Keep it comen if any other ideas out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Thing is, there's no list of approved courses. In fact, there's no suitably accredited course anywhere in the country. So the number one rule is; if your Super wants you to do a course - ask him what course he wants you to do.

Otherwise, you could go spending lots of time and money and he might just say "that doesn't count" at the end of it.

i was in the barracks today..

They said just write that you no how to use a gun and that you've been out with your family and that you family/friends have shown yoy the safe way to handle a gun.

Dont know if this will do the super but may just sent it in and see......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Gortglas

State max number of rounds of ammunition applied for (M):

As this is my first shotgun, what is the appropriate answer here ?

(I will be using it for shooting game, and am a member of a gun club).

Gortglas wrote: »
    State max number of rounds of ammunition applied for (M):

As this is my first shotgun, what is the appropriate answer here ?

(I will be using it for shooting game, and am a member of a gun club).
    Ask the members of your club what would be the best amount. Those guys would be best placed to give you advice as to what you may need.

As a general rule, you would decide based on your access to a local gunshop and how many rounds you would use between visits.

There's no point in having too much, but you don't want to run out either, so it's a case of getting the balance right.

They said the would normally but 4 or 5 boxes each at the start of the year, but just want to get a number that will not raise eyebrows of the super..

They said the would normally but 4 or 5 boxes each at the start of the year, but just want to get a number that will not raise eyebrows of the super..
    Is that for the whole year?

Remember this question is about how much ammo you can possess at any one time, not how much you are going to use in a year or a week or whatever.

No, not for the whole year.

I thought the question related to how much you can purchase at any one time.

Anybody give me a good number to but on the form, that would be sensibel and not raise questions ?

No, not for the whole year.

I thought the question related to how much you can purchase at any one time.

Anybody give me a good number to but on the form, that would be sensibel and not raise questions ?
    There's no problem with questions once you have the answers ;)

That's what I'm trying to get you to do here. You need to figure out what you need and why you need it, that way you can justify it to your Super. It's as simple as that.

So you work out how much you'll use in a given time period (that being the time within which you can go to your local gunshop and stock up) and you put that down on the form.

So if you're asked you can then say, I will use X rounds in a (insert time period here) which is how often I'll be able to get to the gun shop.

There's no point asking what'll raise your Super's eyebrows as we don't know him and his eyebrows could be more or less sensitive than my Super's :D

eh thanks.. I think.

Anybody tell me what they put on the form or is it a gaurded secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

It really depends on your activity but I am going to put down 500 but maybe 1000 as I use the shotgun a lot.

I was at a clay shoot on Sunday and between 4 of us we went through nearly 500 cartridges.

So ideally I'd like to be able to buy 2-4 slabs of cartridges, if you buy 1000 carts you are in a better position to bargain.

I use my gun a lot but if I only used it every now and then I would ask for 250. That way you'd have enough carts to tide you over a clay shoot and a good few days rough shooting/wildfowling and decoying without having to run back and forward to the dealers.

Also often to get the best deal you have to travel a considerable distance and its quite annoying if you you can only buy 4-5 boxes after the time spent travelling.

eh thanks.. I think.

Anybody tell me what they put on the form or is it a gaurded secret.
    It's not a secret, but everyone is different. Can you not work out what you need based on what I'm telling you?

Your club members told you as well, are you one of those people who ask for advice and just ignore it? :mad:

I put down 1000 cartridges. I do a good bit of clays (more than i would game shooting). I keep about 100 - 150 game cartridges in stock and as i get to my dealer once every 2 - 3 weeks and use 250 cartridges each weekend for clays i figured 800 - 900 would do between visits to the dealer. So to be on the safe side i put down 1000 to keep me covered.

As rrpc said its about the amount of ammo you have in your possession at any given time. My understanding is if you have 500 on your licence and have 250 on you but 350 in your house and got an inspection you are over your limit. Don't feel that you can ask for 10,000 just because its on the application but at the same time don't put down 100 if its only going to last for a week and you can't make it to the shop to get more for 3 weeks.

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote: »
    It really depends on your activity but I am going to put down 500 but maybe 1000 as I use the shotgun a lot.

I was at a clay shoot on Sunday and between 4 of us we went through nearly 500 cartridges.

So ideally I'd like to be able to buy 2-4 slabs of cartridges, if you buy 1000 carts you are in a better position to bargain.

I use my gun a lot but if I only used it every now and then I would ask for 250. That way you'd have enough carts to tide you over a clay shoot and a good few days rough shooting/wildfowling and decoying without having to run back and forward to the dealers.

Also often to get the best deal you have to travel a considerable distance and its quite annoying if you you can only buy 4-5 boxes after the time spent travelling.
    ezridax wrote: »
    I put down 1000 cartridges. I do a good bit of clays (more than i would game shooting). I keep about 100 - 150 game cartridges in stock and as i get to my dealer once every 2 - 3 weeks and use 250 cartridges each weekend for clays i figured 800 - 900 would do between visits to the dealer. So to be on the safe side i put down 1000 to keep me covered.

Thanks folks.

Advertisement