Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway - Claremorries

Options
  • 08-08-2009 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello everybody,
    I am new here and I need your help.
    I finally got a job in claremorries but I live in Galway and I am not willing to move there. I am gonna get a car soon. The job is starting in 2 months time.
    So my question is:Is going from Galway to Claremorries horrible, considering the traffic or going out from Galway is not as bad as coming in?
    My job will be about 3 days a week there and I am wondering what s the best way to get there.
    Is there anyone who would be considering car sharing?
    This is very challenging for me because in terms of money, I am not going to earn more that what I am earning now. I will have actually more exspenses but it's a good company and in time of recession I decided to take it ( I haven't found anything in Galway city as a special needs assistant).
    So I am looking for some good advice and consolation :)

Thank you

ML

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved to city forum since the journey originate there

As to question, it takes about an hour to get there, give or take for Tuam that should be the only bottleneck on the way, except for Claregalway, but as you said traffic will be flowing towards Galway so roads should be ok.
    Petrol cost return journey 10-12 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

I don't mean to be pedantic, but don't you mean Claremorris (in Mayo, yeah?)

It's roughly an hour commute via Tuam from Galway City. The N17 takes you all the way. Depending on your work hours and factoring in time spent travelling, you would have much cheaper living expenses in Claremorris than Galway. Come back to Galway @ weekends or something.

I was up in Claremorris recently and parked right in the middle of the town using Pay & Display. To my surprise I was able to park for about 3 hours for something like 60 cent and have lunch for well under a fiver. If in Galway, all my money would have been spent on the parking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Gaelscoil Dara are looking for a part-time SNA

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Marial79

Well, Yeah I mean claremorries.
    I think I won't need to spend money on the parking because, I guess, I can park where the company is and I won't spend much momey on the lunch because I'll be cooking it (I am an italian woman he he).
    The petrol makes me more worried but I am afraid of moving to claremorries. I am so well settled down here in Galway, with friends and the stuff that is always happening here, and claremorries has got just 2.500 inhabitants.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Petrol cost is a very rough estimate and can vary greatly depending on your car and style of driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

id move

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Going from Galway to Claremorris is a handy trip. Claregalway and Tuam are okay in the mornings going in that direction. Come to think of it, they are not much of a problem anymore for morning traffic coming to Galway. Anyway, petrol prices have risen again over the weekend and perhaps you might consider the job opportunity mentioned in an earlier submission. But Claremorris with its 2,500 population, or whatever, is not really a scary place. Even if it is in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Claremorris has a Tesco Petrol Station so there is your cheap fuel sorted. You will be against the traffic both ways so it won't be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Id stay in Galway if you are settled and like it there. As previous people said, you will be against the traffic both ways and its only for 3 days per week. If the drive gets too to be too much of a headwreck, then consider moving down, once you start working in Claremorris and get to know people there you will be able to suss out whether you would like to live there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The thing about going against the traffic is it only takes one gob****e to cause tailbacks as nobody can over take with the constant stream of traffic going the other way. There are hard shoulders that they could use to let others by but gob****es rarely show anybody that courtesy.

It's a long drive but if your only doing it 3 times a week it's not to bad. Claremorris is an alright town but compared to Galway it would be dull.

They do have very cheap fuel down there though.

• Advertisement

You can also go the back way to claremorris and avoid both tuam and claregalway. I know from were I live the back way is much faster and we would always use it going to knock or Sligo(join the n17 in Claremorris).

I havent time now to map out the route(I will try later if I get a chance) but its Galway to Headford to Shrule and then turn off just after shrule and back roads all the way to claremorris.

Advertisement