Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In need of help

Options
  • 08-08-2009 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

How's it going? I'm looking for advice on wine. My girlfriend birthday is coming up and she likes chilean white wine so i'd like to but a nice bottle to have with dinner. I'd don't drink so i have no idea what to buy or where to buy it. It doesn't have to be chilean and i don't mind mind spending up to about €20. I live in south dublin if that makes any difference? If anyone could suggest something she might like it would be very much appreciated. Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

There is this white wine called "piss in the bottle" 1999 cost u about €25.99 available at all good wine stores:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rej

It all depends on what you are going to be eating really.. O'Briens wines stores usually have good staff that can advise you on what will go with your dinner best

If you are not too bothered about matching your wine to your meal, then your best bet is to go for a pinot grigo based wine.

Or if you want instead, Tescos have good sparkling wine selection. starting at about 10euro for their own brand cava up to whatever you are willing to pay for. Jacobs creek sparkling wines are very nice too. Personally I prefer demi-sec because its sweeter than brut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 davidoh23

We'll be eating Sea Bass

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Sounds like she likes round fruity whites.

Don't be afraid to go into O'Breins and ask for recomendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Two Tracks would go well with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I moved from Dublin to Cork earlier this year and I really miss the density of good wine shops in the south Dublin area.

You said your girlf likes Chilean whites but that doesn't give enough information as to what her tastes might be (though there is a good chance that she normally gets Casillero del Diablo or Santa Rita Chardonnay or Sauv Blanc!).

Anyway, the wines below are all beautiful, and most people would enjoy them.

64 Wines in Glasthule are very good. Here are three beautiful whites from them:

*Pieropan Soave €18 -> Available in other wine shops too.
    *Franz Haas Pinot Bianco €19
    *Dona Rosa Albarino €17 -> Donnybrook Fair may sell this one too.

I don't know which part of south Dublin you live in but there is always an O'Briens closeby and I really rate their range. The staff are often, but not always, knowledgeable. I worked there before I knew anything about wine and I would usually just recommend the current specials.

Anyway, here are two gorgeous O'Briens whites:

*Astrolabe Awaterre Sauvignon Blanc €20
    *Domaine Baumann Muscat €19 (possibly not available any longer...)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Cloned Alien

A great fruity white wine is a new one i tried its superquinn own label chablis for €10. They do the french range from 7 to 12 euro and got great reviews in the irish times. Always worth a try wont get them anywhere else. They are flying off the shelves so that says something

Advertisement