Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build! --- INPUT/Advoice Please ---

Options
  • 08-08-2009 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Hey lads.

I have been away for what seems along time, Because of this i want to build a new PC.

I have been doing alot of reading over that last few days since i got back. And by have i missed alot. When i left x38 platforms where the sh!t.

now we have x58, i7 CPUs HD 4870x2s and 295s. DDR3 Tri Cannel. SSD HDDS

I am a bit behind if i am to be honest.

So my question is this.

With a budget of 1500 Euro for everything.

What would you lot recommend.

Few things to keep in mind.

It will be overclocked. ( So maybe watercooling )
    It is for gaming only. ( as i have my old server for everything else )
    will be Running Windows 7 or Vista Ulmta or maybe il just stay with xp

I was thinking of something like this
    specu.jpg

I was also thinking maybe wait a bit for the new hardware to come out and see if this lot drops in price or get something newer.

Cheers lads.
    specxql.jpg

The above spec is just to show you where im coming from!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

They question is....

what resolution screen are you planning to play games on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

Effluo wrote: »
    They question is....

what resolution screen are you planning to play games on?

well i normaly played 1680x1050

But that all depends on if i go with a 22" or 25.5" Monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

If you want to spend 1500 on a new system for gaming no one is gonna stop you but, after a certain point when building a gaming pc the performance for price increase rapidly declines. Nor will it give you much more pc gaming longevity.

If it's solely for gaming then i'm sure most people would recommend an am3 build amd phenom-be processor with ddr3 ram with either a 4850-4870 for gaming under 1980x1020 and a 48701gb-4890 for gaming at or over 1980x1020.

Especially if you're gonna be overclocking then these components would be more than enough to play nearly every game on max.
    Also with the am3 boards there's more room for upgrading as that format is gonna be around for a while to come with the ddr3 memory.
    Then in a year and a halfs time when your graphics card can't play the newest game at high settings, then just upgrade that.

Those ssd's are supposed to increase load times quite a bit though...

If it was me and i had 1500 i'd get a tri-core am3 be, ddr3 and a 4890/4870 for around 800-1000

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Darkphenom

Nice selection - you didnt factor in water cooling though!

I was wondering if someone could explain to me what D0 stepping in the intel i7 920 means?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Darkphenom wrote:
    Nice selection - you didnt factor in water cooling though!

Pfft. He listed a Megahalems, water-cooling would push his temps miles up :D
    I was wondering if someone could explain to me what D0 stepping in the intel i7 920 means?

A slight nanometer-scale revision of the CPU's structure (particularly in regard to power handling, signal degradation traps and various other known issues) combined with improvements in the lithographic process result in a CPU that's somehow packed with even more win. The improved power tolerances means it can start off at lower voltages, yet can also tolerate higher ones than before. It also maintains better stability all around compared to the early C0 design. End result is a slightly cooler and noticeably faster-clocking chip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

do you really need that mouse :rolleyes: i mean 15 programmable buttons aswell as all the macros you'll have on the G19!! id go for a G9 instead plus it doesn't light up like a disco ball. Is DDR3 miles better then DDR2? i mean you can pick up a slick 12GB DDR2 pack for cheap enough now. If your still in the process of sussing things out, you should look at a guy called maxishine on youtube. He buys every new piece of kit and overclocks it to test its OC'ing abilities as well as a host of other things like cases and montiors. He was basically my go to guy for my latest upgrade.

Thanks for the posts lads.

But i have nothing but reading over the last few days trying to get back in the "know" and a bit of feedback from Flaccus ,But now i have changed a few things around and this is what looks like il be going with

Intel Core i7 965 3.20Ghz (Nehalem) Extreme Edition (Socket LGA1366) - Retail

EVGA Classified Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard (141-BL-E760-A1)

Patriot Viper II 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) Triple Channel + 3D Mark Vantage Benchmarking Software (PVT36G1600LLKB)

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card x2

Intel X25-M Mainstream 80GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive (SSDSA2MH080G2C1) x2

Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD103UJ) (for storing my imagez etc )

Samsung SH-S223L/RSMN 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer Lightscribe ReWriter (Beige/Black/Silver) - Retail

Coolermaster HAF 932 Case - Black (No PSU)

Corsair HX 850W ATX Modular SLI Compliant Power Supply (CMPSU-850HXUK)

Now the plan is to go with water cooling. But once i get some cash again lol

Something like this

EK Supreme i7 Clear Top (Socket A,754,939,AM2,478,LGA775 & LGA1366) CPU Water Block

EK 4870 X2 Acrylic Full Cover VGA Water Block x2

Swiftech Laing D5 Vario MCP655 12V DC Pump

Black Ice GT Xtreme 480 Radiator

EK Multioption Reservoir 250

Now this is without case mods and other goodies that il get as i go.

I may go with a DD water cooling system or just wait a bit.

My viewing will be done with this

Hanns.G HG281D 28" Widescreen LCD Monitor its cheap but has great reviews. If its dosent work out il just get something else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Man dont waste your cash on the 965 as from what i've read even water-cooled its does not clock high enough to warrent the extra cash.On WC you may get around 4.6ghz with the 965 whereas the 920 DO revision will deffo do 4.3ghz on WC imo.I can get me 920 CO stable at 4.17ghz and as high as 4.37ghz for cpuz validation and thats on air.
    The money you save you could get your WC straight away.If your still adamant on spending lots on high end maybe try the 950 instead as thats another few quid saved for WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

lol Flaccus...he's try and get the best of everything for a system.
    Did you tell him you had a budget :D
    As the previous poster said drop the i7 extreme down lower..no game justifies having one of these.
    And 2 x 4870X2? That's just nuts.. complete waste of a card gaming anything lower than 2560x1600. One will do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Ah, but the extreme is unlocked and easier to clock higher :D
    I'd get 2 gtx 295's personally for games. Anything less is just disappointing. And of course a Dell 30" screen though it's a little high on input lag. Still if you can give us eating, paying bills, rent for a few months to swing the cost, it's well worth it. Credit Cards are good as well.

I'm now running top of the line Mac, but intend building an uber rig in January. Currently in planning phase :)

• Advertisement

Honestly Flaccus..how can you justify 2x295's?
    All you do is run benchmarks on them...you play fcukall games only those stupid sidescrolling arcade games ;)
    See..as I keep telling you...your a benchie not a real gamer.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Flaccus wrote: »
    Ah, but the extreme is unlocked and easier to clock higher :D Plus he's getting it cheaper from me :P

I'd get 2 gtx 295's personally for video. Anything less is just disappointing. And of course a Dell 30" screen though it's a little high on input lag.

I'm now running top of the line Mac, but intend building an uber rig in January. Currently in planning phase :)

Yes well if he is getting at your superb thats a different story (as i would kill for one at the price you sold the last one at)
    As for your uber rig i suppose only a Westmere will be good enough for you:p

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    Honestly Flaccus..how can you justify 2x295's?
    All you do is run benchmarks on them...you play fcukall games only those stupid sidescrolling arcade games ;)
    See..as I keep telling you...your a benchie not a real gamer.:p

This must be a reference to Shadow Complex. And this also looks suspiciously like a re-reg. I thought you got banned ?:eek:

game4it70 wrote: »
    Yes well if he is getting at your superb thats a different story (as i would kill for one at the price you sold the last one at)
    As for your uber rig i suppose only a Westmere will be good enough for you:p

Financial problems forced the last sale.

I have no idea what the next rig will be like...have to wait for 512gig ssd's, DX11 cards etc..

This must be a reference to Shadow Complex. And this also looks suspiciously like a re-reg. I thought you got banned ?:eek:

wtf is Shadow Complex? Is that another 20 year old arcade game :P

Says the man who on another thread never heard of Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle or Sam and Max. Not much of a PC gamer then :rolleyes:

Says the man who on another thread never heard of Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle or Sam and Max. Not much of a PC gamer then :rolleyes:

sez the guy that can't finish Resident Evil 5...u wuss :p

Hha you two shut it :P your hi-jacking my thread :P

The items i listed il be getting in two phases.

I think il go with the HD4870x2 till the 300 gen comes out.

Feck it. thanks for the input :D

Blazher wrote: »
    Hha you two shut it :P your hi-jacking my thread :P

The items i listed il be getting in two phases.

I think il go with the HD4870x2 till the 300 gen comes out.

Feck it. thanks for the input :D

good choice...the X2 is a fantastic card..have one myself :D

The 4890 isnt bad either

• Advertisement

Build has changed again.

I am not going to get any SSDs till the next gen come out so im going with 2x WD Blacks in raid 0

Also the money im saving by not getting SSDs im going to get the GT Ram.

44221208.jpg

The cooler master v8 is very good

Berkut wrote: »
    good choice...the X2 is a fantastic card..have one myself :D

Well now i have 2 of them for a CrossfireX setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Darkphenom wrote: »
    The cooler master v8 is very good

overpriced. it's pretty much neck and neck with the TRUE, which is cheaper in most places.

the Megahalems you went for initially outperforms both anyway.

overpriced. it's pretty much neck and neck with the TRUE, which is cheaper in most places.

the Megahalems you went for initially outperforms both anyway.

I am going with a TRUE Black with push/pull setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

seems like some v expensive components, e.g. the motherboard and the ram..

I think if you got a normal x58 and 'normal' ram you'd save 300 sterling

Maybe I am not up on things, or perhaps you plan to overclock heavily, but I think you're only getting a very slight performance increase for a large amount of money expended.

jonny72 wrote: »
    seems like some v expensive components, e.g. the motherboard and the ram..

I think if you got a normal x58 and 'normal' ram you'd save 300 sterling

Maybe I am not up on things, or perhaps you plan to overclock heavily, but I think you're only getting a very slight performance increase for a large amount of money expended.

You are right mate.

I could get the normal boards for 180/200 and ram for 100 all would work great, But the parts i have offer two things

Great overclocking support

and more important

a very big E-PENIS

Advertisement