Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW GOLF 2002 1.6 16V

• 08-08-2009 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

hello people
    does anyone know what this problem could be.
    the car idles very bad as in low cutting out.car is down on power and at a constant speed say 60 kmh at idle the car jerjs ever so slightly.
    car is aalso hard to start somtimes.

i have changed the plugs ,cleaned throtle body new air filter timing belt kit and water pump.

no lights on the dash and no faults stored.
    any ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Just regards the timing belt kit, was this done prior to the faults you mentioned? Sounds like the timing could be slightly out. Strange thet no faults are stored, possible air mass fault? But normally this would throw on an EML

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

EnterNow wrote: »
    Just regards the timing belt kit, was this done prior to the faults you mentioned? Sounds like the timing could be slightly out. Strange thet no faults are stored, possible air mass fault? But normally this would throw on an EML

yes indeed all happened after the belt was done ,even tho i used the locking tools.

Timing variations are also normally picked up as misfires etc, so perhaps recheck the timing of the engine. Also verify, that if you got any new tensioner pulleys, that they are the correct ones for the cars (diameters etc).

Timing variations are also normally picked up as misfires etc, so perhaps recheck the timing of the engine. Also verify, that if you got any new tensioner pulleys, that they are the correct ones for the cars (diameters etc).

there is a slight misfire and can be heard at the exhaust easy.
    i was told tho if the timing is out on them cars it should bring on a light as you said.i wonder if its only out slightly ,maybe the ecu dosent pick it up hence no light.
    do you know if there is much vavle clearence between the piston and valve if the timing is out a bit.?

If you mean is there a chance there is any damage done, then by the sounds of it no. But then again, we arnt even sure if timing is the issue. So you need to lock the flywheel and start checking your marks etc as a first port of call.

• Advertisement

If you mean is there a chance there is any damage done, then by the sounds of it no. But then again, we arnt even sure if timing is the issue. So you need to lock the flywheel and start checking your marks etc as a first port of call.

yeah i know what ur saying .i wont be doing it today it will be monday now.
    il keep the thread going when i get some more work done.thanks for the reply.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Sounds more like a duff coil to me, assuming you've timed it properly. Its a common VAG fault.

Ferris wrote: »
    Sounds more like a duff coil to me, assuming you've timed it properly. Its a common VAG fault.

Agreed, although they always throw on the EML. I just thought timing as he said belt was recently changed - a coil may very well be the culprit

Advertisement