Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saving image jpeg gets it's height stretched?

• 08-08-2009 2:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

I went out last night to take a few shots of the moon, hoping for something to enter in the current assignment. The moon was full, and very bright!
    When I have these in PS, they look fine, no problem. I resize them to 800pix, again, they look fine. But once I save the jpeg, and open it again, the image is stretched!

I've tried squashing the image, prior to resizing and saving, but it still looks stretched afterwards.

What am I missing here? Is saving to jpeg somehow altering the image size?
    Any advice on this would be great. Here's some sample images.

[IMG][/img]4E5E0632EE744CACBCAEDEEA15E74D38.jpg

866DC748832D4C7F9439127A7E5B8E96.jpg

EB0EB1F0D2DB4F9D9294B65F1AE24EAC.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I was looking at the exif data for your last one, ISO 200, 200mm, f3.5 but........speed 1/100sec ! I thought it would have been higher, like 1/500 of a sec or faster !
    As for stretching, it might be just loosing quality rather than stretching !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Have you unticked constrain proportions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

look fine in photos posted, love the detail in the moon shot. How much distortion are you seeing and is it just in photoshop that the jpegs look wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

.... speed 1/100sec!.... !

That big 'ol moon was sure bright!
    Oh, I should mention, it was at 200mm, with a Kenko x2 TC = 400mm.

soccerc wrote: »
    Have you unticked constrain proportions?

No, no. 1 & 3 where locked. I did unlock no.2, and squashed the height a bit, but seemed to make no difference after I saved it.

look fine in photos posted, love the detail in the moon shot. How much distortion are you seeing and is it just in photoshop that the jpegs look wrong?

The images look "oblong" to me, but only after I've re-opened the file again?
    Tried viewing the saved file in M$ explorer & PS, but they look the same = stretched! Everything else is fine.

mrmac wrote: »
    The images look "oblong" to me, but only after I've re-opened the file again?
    Tried viewing the saved file in M$ explorer & PS, but they look the same = stretched! Everything else is fine.

are the files you uploaded looking stretched in your browser on this page?

and are all the other images on the web looking normal? that would be weird and point to something with the particular jpegs or photoshop save process

Can only think that its a monitor aspect ratio or something, maybe you could try change monitor resolution just to see if it has any effect

• Advertisement

.... Can only think that its a monitor aspect ratio or something, maybe you could try change monitor resolution just to see if it has any effect

Do they look "round" to you?
    It looks oblong to me, on both my PC monitor, and my laptop.

Maybe I just need coffee, and to clean my glasses!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

mrmac wrote: »
    Do they look "round" to you?
    It looks oblong to me, on both my PC monitor, and my laptop.

Maybe I just need coffee, and to clean my glasses!!! :D

Well, the ones showing on this page look round to me. Now I'm wondering if I need coffee and glasses :(

Yep look as round as they should be to me, I think the moon isn't perfectly round anyway so that could be it :P

I was looking at the exif data for your last one, ISO 200, 200mm, f3.5 but........speed 1/100sec ! I thought it would have been higher, like 1/500 of a sec or faster !
    As for stretching, it might be just loosing quality rather than stretching !

Should point out that I was using a 70-200 zoomer, with a kenko x2 TC. I'd been taking some 60sec. exposures, with my new 50mm 1.8, prior to this. So I just gave a rough guess at the settings, and it looked ok. :D

Advertisement