Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What has helped your depression the most?

Options
  • 08-08-2009 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

For me, it has been:

eckhart tolle
    byron katie
    patrick holford's 'optimum nutrition for the mind'
    the option institute
    the four agreements
    reflexology
    reiki
    panicaway

Life is mostly froth and bubble,
    Two things stand like stone,
    Kindness in another's trouble,
    Courage in your own.
    ~Adam Lindsay Gordon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Realising what other people think about you doesn't matter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jenortega

Realising what other people think about you doesn't matter!

I like this one!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭evil-yoda

i find that music really helps! its totally kept me sane over the last few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

Different things obviously work for different people. What about light therapy? Don't know anything about it but just heard about it.

dungeon wrote: »
    Different things obviously work for different people. What about light therapy? Don't know anything about it but just heard about it.

Good point, we have daylight bulbs in the main rooms at home and during the winter that makes a difference to my wifes mood. The light form the bulbs seems bluer in colour than ordinary cfl's or filament bulbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 morobar

Therapy has been my saving grace...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

morobar wrote: »
    Therapy has been my saving grace...

Yes, counciling is the answer people

• Registered Users Posts: 16 madliz

medication (mirtazapine currently) and learning what my limits are.

personally counselling would not work for me as the issues i have will never be resolved and i have already had to deal with problems so i can just live some sort of life. counselling does not work for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ElectroJazz

Music definitely helps a lot!! But most of all trying not to be alone too much, (unless that helps) I never went to counselling and I only really spoke to one person about it (I went through an entire year of nearly always suffering from depression). as depression really is just a state of mind I've learned just to think differently and take a more relaxed attitude to my life, I almost never drink anymore and feel happier being sober most weekends!

EDIT: When I say depression being a state of mind thats what it felt like for me like I was depressed for no reason all the time, I know some people suffered mental trauma in their lives and thats a cause to their depression.

madliz wrote: »
    counselling does not work for everyone.

Fully agree with that! But also found medication unhelpful - side effects made me more depressed.

Living with yourself can be enough of a problem which is why I said earlier "Realising what other people think about you doesn't matter!" as thats one area of worry I can do without.

If I'm rather self indulgant (or at least relax as far as I can from worries) I can just about keep my head above water, bad days still occur but they don't last as long and are not so deep. I oscilate up and down from highs to lows, if the highs aren't too high then the lows aren't so low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

1 Routine
    2 Exercise
    3 Bibliotherapy
    4 Counselling

In this order, but all helpful to some extent.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle
    Plato

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

talkiing with my friends we were all going through the same tough thing at the same time and learning to forgive myself and not blame myself for something that wasnt my fault

please if your having problems talk to somone, a trusted friend, a councillor. if that is not an option start with the wall and move onto more animate objects like the tv or the radio etc until you can talk to a person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭aloevera

jenortega wrote: »
    I like this one!!!

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

1.Taking Citalopram
    2.Talking about it with close friend and my mam who both also suffer with it
    3.Reading 'self help for your nerves' by Dr Claire Weeks. As anxiety is a big part of my depression
    4.Repeating to myself when I am on my down days to 'GO WITH THE FLOW'
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭JackReacher1980

Definately medication. Have tried counselling, and while it worked to some extent, I'm now trying Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, which feels much more pro-active to me. Keeping busy, and talking it through with someone close is always good, as long as they are supportive.

Advertisement