Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Play movies through USB on TV?

• 08-08-2009 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if I can copy DIVX movies onto a USB stick and then have them play back on the TV. Also connecting an external hard drive - would this work ?

Could anyone recommend TV's with such capabilities

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

you need a TV with a DivX player installed. (incl. codecs) I don't think one exists.

Have a look at the WDTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

I play Xvid, Divx and Avi movie's on a usb stick through my xbox. You have to update the codec's on the xbox by connecting to the internet first though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

http://www.xtravision.ie/home-entertainment/257398/mirai-19-lcd-with-built-in-dvd-player.aspx

I have this now, I know its only 19" but for my Bedroom it is the perfect setup for me, it takes Usb + SD/Memory stick duo cards

Formats.
    Divx,MP3,Jpeg ect..... Fantastic stuff also the built in dvd player is a dream!. Hd ready, Component cable, HDMI, Scart and connection for the PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

What about a DVD player with USB , if I got one of these could I use the memory stick to play divx on the tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

yes - if your dvd player supports DivX or Xvid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Great this is probably a cheaper option than looking for a tv with usb that plays divx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

There are loads of DVD players out there with USB that'll play pretty much anything - I have a cheap one with HDMI I got in Lidl a few years ago - very handy as a lot of stuff I watch is on DIVX or AVI.
    Alternatively you can get a media player like this that'll connect directly to your TV plus you can store everything on it too. I'm not recommending this one in particular, just an example there are lots of different types out there, some with storage, some without.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

I have the Samsung Series 8 just plug a HDD in or a USB stick and it plays video straight from it. Or get a WD TV just connect a HDD to it and away you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

newbie2 wrote: »
    you need a TV with a DivX player installed. (incl. codecs) I don't think one exists.

Have a look at the WDTV.
    Also have the WD TV. Plays anything I throw at it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭3 Dollar Bill

the_syco wrote: »
    Also have the WD TV. Plays anything I throw at it :cool:

+1 Great piece of kit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Barr wrote: »
    What about a DVD player with USB , if I got one of these could I use the memory stick to play divx on the tv?
    i got the HDMI dvd player in lidl (approx 60 quid) which has a usb slot for thumb drives and also takes SD cards. plays divx encoded avi's and also jpg photos

the manual says that 1GB is the max thumb drive size it will work with but i have successfully used a 4gb stick with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have a 320GB HDD hooked up to the WD TV. Has lots of stuff on it, that I can watch at random. Has two USB ports on it: one has the HDD, and the other I use for plugging the USB ley into it for stuff that I want to watch straight away...

Advertisement