Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dissertation Topics??

Options
  • 08-08-2009 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi all,

juat a quick question i was hoping some of ye might have a suggestion for...

i'm on phase 3 at the moment in templemore and we need to put in the topic for which we will do our dissertation on. it doesn't necessarily have to be a garda topic but does have to be relevant to the job.

just wondering does anyone have any ideas? please don't think i'm being lazy its just that the lecturers are always telling us that people always do the same topics etc so was just seeing does anyone have any interesting/diferent ideas that would interest them.

Thanks for any ideas in advance :D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

"The first thing you need to ask yourself is what the difference is between a project and a dissertation!"

"When this is done, then you need to make sure you have a valid research question or statement!"

Ahhh - memories!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I think you'd get a lot more ideas if you posted this in the Edu category? There's loads of forums over there that might be suitable so I don't want to direct you to just one, but I do know the category is riddled with people who are academically minded, and might be able to suggest a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DCTF

ScubaDave wrote: »
    "The first thing you need to ask yourself is what the difference is between a project and a dissertation!"

"When this is done, then you need to make sure you have a valid research question or statement!"

Ahhh - memories!

AH good aul Sgt. LL.

54321 your back in the room! what kinda animal is that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

How about you brain storm, it goes like this;- the uniform, the equipment gardai are issued, the asp, the handcuffs, pepperspray, should uniformed gardai be armed? the training in general, a few years into the job - continous training, the self defence, recruitment standards on getting in, non irish nationals in AGS, the Garda reserve, are the procedures gardai use revelant, the tracker forms in the court system, should we be doing dissertations as part of the student probationer program (ha!), civillianisation in the guards, pulse, pulse in cars, the tetra radio, are we too focused on technology rather than good olde fashioned policing, better pulse like they have in x country, ASBO's, the Adult Caution scheme, FCPS's, the Traffic plan for my town, should ags have more unmarked vehicles to intercept criminals, prevention and detection of crime, Recession and its effects on the organisation, recession and crime rates, is ireland prepared for a viral pandemic such as h1n1? whats the police role in a pandemic,

Oh and please dont forget the ones that have been done a zillion times:
    PE/Sport in the guards
    Community Policing
    Drinking Driving
    Alcohol abuse
    Drugs
    The Emergency Plan for Dublin/Airport/XCity
    Domestic Violence in X
    Sudden Deaths/Suicide in X

Its easy to copy other stuff but if you go for something current, controversial or different as long as its not too mad and you think you can do it without messing it up you'll get extra brownie points for it.
    There you've no excuse - go get a few euro coins and photocopy a dissertation up in the library and have a read at it (I actually miss l.l. in a weird sort of way)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭BrandonFlowers

thanks very much for all the ideas already people!

yeah he's gas in a weird way! walks himself into a lot of double entrendes(hope thats right!!) and can't understand why we're laughing then!

has he always picked people from the class lists to ask questions or is that new?? my time is coming i'm sure of it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭In my opinion

t

walks himself into a lot of double entrendes(hope thats right!!) and can't understand why we're laughing then!

That is the sign of an intelligent witty person. Bet he knows well!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

yeah he's gas in a weird way! walks himself into a lot of double entrendes(hope thats right!!) and can't understand why we're laughing then!

has he always picked people from the class lists to ask questions or is that new?? my time is coming i'm sure of it!!!
    Ah yes, the day he started going on about Muff (in Donegal) was the funniest thing in the world.

Hi all,

juat a quick question i was hoping some of ye might have a suggestion for...

i'm on phase 3 at the moment in templemore and we need to put in the topic for which we will do our dissertation on. it doesn't necessarily have to be a garda topic but does have to be relevant to the job.

just wondering does anyone have any ideas? please don't think i'm being lazy its just that the lecturers are always telling us that people always do the same topics etc so was just seeing does anyone have any interesting/diferent ideas that would interest them.

Thanks for any ideas in advance :D:D:D

Pick something simple while you are in the college. When you get out on to Phase 3.5 then have a look at your own district and see what issues there are there or inictives there are going on and then make your mind up fully. And try start it early. The first couple of months fly by and next thing you know there are only two weeks to go and you haven't finished your first draft!

He goes through the whole class list in random order. With your smaller class sizes expect to be asked more than once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

your time will come..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

i did mine on patrol car. examined the safety of them and compared various cars...might be relevant now especially with the slowing down in fleet change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

"That the increase in ordinary crime is inversely proportional to the quality and quantity of the mustard quotient in hot dog lattices available in Topaz service stations"

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

I for one agree with the above!

God damn hot god lattices! Not as good as i remember them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

deadwood wrote: »
    "That the increase in ordinary crime is inversely proportional to the quality and quantity of the mustard quotient in hot dog lattices available in Topaz service stations"

My aims of this dissertation are
    1) to sit in topaz while working eating hot dog lattices
    2) see if i spot any crime while eating said hot dog lattices
    3) see if this crime is a result of the quality and quantity of mustard in hot dog lattices
    5) to decide if members of ags should stick to jambons in topaz and forget about hot dog lattices once and for all.

*reference- the night unit that finished at 6 this morning*

Not forgetting the difficulties in forgetting to wipe the bits of pastry from the little pocket on the shtab vesht before you step into the bawx.

Where does all that stuff come from?

Its worse when you find bits of pastry in the little pocket on the shtab vesht............. your not sure if you should eat it or throw it away :D

Now, there's a poll!

Im gonna go with eat the crumbs..... we are in a recession after all... waste not want not :D

We better get back on topic or NGA will put his moding gloves on and beat the crumbs out of us. :eek:

OP i definitely think you should go with deadwoods suggestion and do the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

If you go out to a busy station on phase four you will be too busy fighting crime for this waste of time.
    In a real college you would treat this as an opportunity to seek out a subject that requires research and discover some new angles.... sad to say you have to look at this as everything else in Templemore...keep the head down, pass, get on with it.

Usual boring subjects: Community policing, jlo system etc. They've read those a million times, they flick through it and you pass. Do a new subject and they will read and scrutinise every bit of it.

Stay away from anything controversial. Dont touch any subject such as training, equipment etc. because research will show what we all know... and the people who chose what we wear, drive etc. dont want to be told what we think of them.

You have to remember the people correcting this are from within the system.
    e.g. topic of physical training... you slate it, and someone from the sports dept corrects it!!

Go to the library, prefably while there is something else on, e.g. piss up/ big game etc.(Cos there's only 2 copiers) pick a tried and tested subject, photocopy a few dissertations and then you have the format/layout etc.

How many hours dissertation lectures? How many hours baton/handcuff training? You know the answer... which is more imortant? Used every day.

But to stay on topic.... choose the usual topics, tell them the system is great, they are great and then get on with learning your real trade. You do not want to get reverted over this.... which a huge amount of probationers do.... good cops, with high return of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Hi BP,

Maybe you could do a dissertation on road safety? Probably has been done to death but maybe you could take a different approach? I don't know if you ever heard of of Hans Monderman, He revolutionised the whole road network system in Holland, well a large part of it anyway.

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Monderman.

I know Wikipedia has its flaws but it is a starting point and there are some good references in the link above.

All the best.

Finn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

I'll waddle in here form an academic POV, I'm not a guard.

Pick something you know a little about already. Its grand to say look at the patrol cars, but you have no idea how the pedals work. If you list out your interests and see if some of those could be tied into a topic.

Something that i came across recently, Do gardai need to be cross train in various skills such as medical or rescue. Should all cars carry a defib and medical kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

maglite wrote: »
    I'll waddle in here form an academic POV, I'm not a guard.

Pick something you know a little about already. Its grand to say look at the patrol cars, but you have no idea how the pedals work. If you list out your interests and see if some of those could be tied into a topic.

Something that i came across recently, Do gardai need to be cross train in various skills such as medical or rescue. Should all cars carry a defib and medical kit?

Two GREAT topics there O/P

(Mag where were you when I did mine!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

doing mine on drunk driving i reckon..what ye think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

What about how police forces are working together nowadays to combat transnational crime?
    You can talk about Mutual Assistance, Interpol, Europol, etc.
    And it means you could give plenty of examples for your dissertation, like operations Amethyst and Iron and all that sort of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

'The dissertation is a complete waste of a Garda's time & we could be devoting our time to doing something more practical.' - there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

'The Garda examiner is wasting his time' dissertation.

:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 153 ✭✭rollcall

As a crusty senior man myself, how about something like 'Does AGS adequately prepare members for retirement?' or 'Life after retirement from AGS'. That could touch on a load of issues including finance, stress, health etc. Or something more operational, as the job has recently trained people in new roles such as Family Liaison Officers, Forensic Collision Investigators, you could look at those specialities. Just a suggestion, I will go back to sleep now, zzzz

What about how police forces are working together nowadays to combat transnational crime?
    You can talk about Mutual Assistance, Interpol, Europol, etc.
    And it means you could give plenty of examples for your dissertation, like operations Amethyst and Iron and all that sort of stuff.

Because you are expected to complete your dissertation during phase four of training where you are actually a working garda having to deal with REAL issuses and investigations while completing a stupid diary, attending class, attending court and trying to have a lift outside the job!
    (sans, this may look like I'm having a go at you but it is actually at the dissertation.)

rollcall wrote: »
    As a crusty senior man myself, how about something like 'Does AGS adequately prepare members for retirement?' or 'Life after retirement from AGS'. That could touch on a load of issues including finance, stress, health etc. Or something more operational, as the job has recently trained people in new roles such as Family Liaison Officers, Forensic Collision Investigators, you could look at those specialities. Just a suggestion, I will go back to sleep now, zzzz

Thats actually a very good idea.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 153 ✭✭rollcall

Thanks foreign, first good idea I ever had so!:eek:

• Advertisement

rollcall wrote: »
    Thanks foreign, first good idea I ever had so!:eek:

If only you were starting out in your career and had the pleasure of doing the dissertation.

Advertisement