Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dearest litre of milk?

• 08-08-2009 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

There is a spar around the corner from me and its €1.55 for a litre of milk. In an Esso on the navan road is €1.60. Think you can get two litres in Lidl for that!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TonyDub

In most Spar shops themselves you can get 2 litres of milk for 1.29. Think it's called Linwood Farm or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

in my local eurospar, their own brand if 1.59 and the new avonmore "easy pour" is 1.99!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 MrPatMustard

Check out these guys, I saw a truck today with the logo on it...

www.milkdirect.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 MrPatMustard

cute_cow wrote: »
    in my local eurospar, their own brand if 1.59 and the new avonmore "easy pour" is 1.99!!

Christ thats dear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Check out these guys, I saw a truck today with the logo on it...

www.milkdirect.ie

Expensive "cheap" milk.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

It's only for businesses too.
    Milk delivery to offices, milk for small shops, milk for corner shops, milk delivery for cafe shops, milk delivery for restaurants, fresh cream for restaurants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

Christ thats dear!

they even have "special offer" signs on the 1.99 milk....

plus i think its one of the most expensive euro spars that i have ever been in!

even the sliced loaves of "bread" are anything from 1.80 to 2.50 and am talking pat the baker not the special "i am made of gold loaves of bread"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

The price of that new Avonmore milk is being set by Glanbia, it's €1.99 in all retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kgpixels

Like everything, you need to shop around. Will look out for that Linwood Farm brand or another alternative.
    I know isn't the section for farming gripes, but to add insult to injury, my parents who are dairy farmers are lucky if the get 25c a litre!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

karlr42 wrote: »
    The price of that new Avonmore milk is being set by Glanbia, it's €1.99 in all retailers.

Glanbia do not set any prices. To do so would be illegal. They can only provide a Recommended Retail Price. Generally its crap and doesnt happen.

I am SELLING Morgan Milk CHEAPER than I can BUY Glanbia milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

kgpixels wrote: »
    There is a spar around the corner from me and its €1.55 for a litre of milk. In an Esso on the navan road is €1.60. Think you can get two litres in Lidl for that!!
    There's a reason they're called 'convenience' stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Glanbia do not set any prices. To do so would be illegal. They can only provide a Recommended Retail Price. Generally its crap and doesnt happen.

In major supermarkets, Glanbia pay for shelf space, employ their own people to stock, date-check and order their stock on these shelves. It's generally in the retailers interest to use the RRP because it helps maintain a relationship with Glanbia(who provide very popular and high-selling products) in cases like this where it's being advertised in the media for €1.99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Khanis

kgpixels wrote: »
    Like everything, you need to shop around. Will look out for that Linwood Farm brand or another alternative.
    I know isn't the section for farming gripes, but to add insult to injury, my parents who are dairy farmers are lucky if the get 25c a litre!!

You know, I saw something on Primetime last night about farmers getting the same per litre now as they were in the 80s. Seriously, who is getting rich off Irish milk because I can't understand how that kind of markup can be justified??

Also, how come NI milk is half the price of local milk? Are the local dairies marking it up 400% or what? If you ask me it's time the IFA stepped up and started selling milk direct to consumers again. I'd love to be able to buy local milk, preferably unpasteurised.

by the way, I'm not a farmer I'm just an angry consumer who's feeling ripped off at the price of milk compared to the cost of supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Khanis wrote: »
    You know, I saw something on Primetime last night about farmers getting the same per litre now as they were in the 80s. Seriously, who is getting rich off Irish milk because I can't understand how that kind of markup can be justified??

Also, how come NI milk is half the price of local milk? Are the local dairies marking it up 400% or what? If you ask me it's time the IFA stepped up and started selling milk direct to consumers again. I'd love to be able to buy local milk, preferably unpasteurised.

by the way, I'm not a farmer I'm just an angry consumer who's feeling ripped off at the price of milk compared to the cost of supply.

its simple.

one thing that annoys me is some lobby groups getting on the airways and complaining that retailers are makin 400% on lamb for example compared to what the farmer gets.

Now i would love to support local farmers but there are so many rules about killing houses and transport etc

the problem is that when figures like this are quoted the message is lost.

Ok the farmer produces the meat/milk however regardless of how much it cost him he will only get what the market pays.

The carrier of the milk from farm to production has to be paid.

the producer has to be paid

the bottles/tetra pack has to be paid for

the transport to shops has to be paid for.

It the same with every product a farmer produces, its raw produce that needs to be processed so everyone along the chain wants their share of the price however its simply the farmers cannot set/ask for a price like the rest of the gang do

as a retailer the money i make from milk just abouts covers wages and the fridge and running costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Drumagolan

Were is Morgan milk based. How can i contact them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 bigaid1

morgan are based close to the border in the newry, armagh direction.

the major retailers are the ones screwing us in the price of milk, demanding a margin of 30% ish

believe it or not, most of the cost of your 2 litre jar of milk is taken up by fuel costs.

the farmer uses a lot of fuel producing milk
    it is then transported using a lot of fuel
    it is then processed in a factory using a lot of electricity
    packed into a jar made from oil based plastic
    and then delivered to your local shop in another lorry

the next time someone tells you that the price of milk is directly related to the price of oil, believe them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Drumagolan

i have googled Morgan Milk but can't find any info on the company! Can you point me in the right direction to contact them. Are they a small time milk producer? I know of Linwoods in Armagh.

Drumagolan wrote: »
    i have googled Morgan Milk but can't find any info on the company! Can you point me in the right direction to contact them. Are they a small time milk producer? I know of Linwoods in Armagh.

they are a sister company of morgan fuels, so if you google them i am sure they will be able to send you in the right direction.

whilst i am on.

milk is regarded by the majors as a marker item. this is 1 of the items that people buy on a regular basis and therefore remember the price. bread, sugar and eggs are the same. they pressure the processors into keeping the price low while they still get their 30%. then they mark up heavily on the other items. how many threads have you seen about the price of shampoo, bleach or toilet roll. items heavily marked up and rarely discussed.

this has given me an idea for a new thread, may have been done before but i will go now and start it

I will ask the driver when he comes in next. I am away for the weekend but will PM you his number when I get back.

Do you know of Corrib Food Products ?

I hear they are doing milk shortly.

Watch this space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

my local shop sells 2ltr avonmore milk for €2.49 and another shop near St. Dympnas hospital sells the same 2ltr milk for €3.20

• Advertisement

Were is Morgan milk based. How can i contact them?

I met up with that guy today. His number is *removed*.

You have a pm, anyone else wanting his number, pm me.

Give him a ring. He is now doing 2 litres, pints, and 1 litres. I showed him this thread so he knows you may be ringing him.

Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Yvonovich

Sleipnir wrote: »
    It's only for businesses too.

No these guys deliver milk to private addresses too, all around my estate. they are cheap too:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Miss No Name

i've seen Linwoods everywhere - they seem to be selling at a very cheap price. Saying that it has been a different price in every shop - €1.49, €1.39 and €1.09 in Supevalu for 2 litres. Its great we can get milk at this price but it does make me sad that farmers aren't getting paid a good price for it. After all milk is a fresh, natural and nuturious product. Not like companies making millions from ripping off consumers like coke cola or mars.

bainne ur, from strathroy is the cheapest i have seen after a week of watching

99c locally for 2 litres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

i've seen Linwoods everywhere - they seem to be selling at a very cheap price. Saying that it has been a different price in every shop - €1.49, €1.39 and €1.09 in Supevalu for 2 litres. Its great we can get milk at this price but it does make me sad that farmers aren't getting paid a good price for it. After all milk is a fresh, natural and nuturious product. Not like companies making millions from ripping off consumers like coke cola or mars.

just to say on this price about the farmers price from what I know of a particular supplier and they say its industry standard.

most farmers produce milk based on their herd been pregnant and lactating thus producing milk etc. however they have a quota so planning is required so that a certain amount of cows are producing at any one time and get paid a price by the processor however this is mainly used on the branded milk ie avonmore etc the price paid is the top end of the spectrum becaue of the limitations on the farmer.

when it comes to non branded milk the processors have a set number of farmers who supply them with whatever amount of milk they want or can but they get it at a lesser price, so the farmer in this instance would end up with the same money but for more milk produced than the above situation. So the farmer cuts his own cloth in this instance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

A lot of this has also to do with the peak trough season. Prices in milk rise and fall due to the amount farmers can produce depending on the time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Umbica

bigaid1 wrote: »
    bainne ur, from strathroy is the cheapest i have seen after a week of watching

99c locally for 2 litres

Where is locally?

Umbica wrote: »
    Where is locally?

lifford, co. donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TRANSIT007

I met up with that guy today. His number is *removed*.

You have a pm, anyone else wanting his number, pm me.

Give him a ring. He is now doing 2 litres, pints, and 1 litres. I showed him this thread so he knows you may be ringing him.

Good Luck.
    I know the morgan milk sales rep, and have a email address for him, if ya want it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

believe it or not Marks and Spencers milk is cheap and really nice - the 3 litre bottle has best value - think around 2.70

Advertisement