Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new camera

• 08-08-2009 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

So my birthday is in a few months and i am looking to get my hands on a good DSLR camera. Ideally what i am looking for is a camera that:

1)i can take out of my bag turn it on and shoot away without having to set it up or wait for it to load etc as had a bridge camera before but it was a pain to turn it on and zoom in for a shot and more than likely the shot was lost getting the camera to load/set up.

2) would be ideal for taking shots of surfing(prob from the rocks/beach so would assume a good zoom lens is required). What kind of lenses would i require for this?

3)lastly it will be used for the usual portraits, landscapes and general uses.

It must be idiot proof(at the start), robust. I have checked out various models like the canon 450d , olympus e420 as i am led to believe they are good entry level DSLRs.

Any and all advice is welcome. Budget would be in the range of 5-7 hundred yo yos. Hope this is not to vague a description of what i am looking for.

frAg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

have a read of the "so you are looking for a new camera" in the stickies. When you've been there - post away with your questions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

im on it

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

go with 450d from canon, great camera. Avoid nikon d60s etc as lenses afterwards are not very plentiful especially 2nd hand, you can see why in google (autofocusing etc....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

TheDriver wrote: »
    go with 450d from canon, great camera. Avoid nikon d60s etc as lenses afterwards are not very plentiful especially 2nd hand, you can see why in google (autofocusing etc....)

:rolleyes:

There are plenty of lenses available for the D60 with focus motors in the lenses. So don't dismiss the Nikon as readily as this guy.

I see you mention the E420 in your opening post, also a great little camera with great quality jpegs straight out of the camera. You can get the two lens kit giving you great range for a good price at the moment. The E520 adds in body stabilisation for all lenses for about an extra €100 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

duffarama wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

There are plenty of lenses available for the D60 with focus motors in the lenses. So don't dismiss the Nikon as readily as this guy.

I see you mention the E420 in your opening post, also a great little camera with great quality jpegs straight out of the camera. You can get the two lens kit giving you great range for a good price at the moment. The E520 adds in body stabilisation for all lenses for about an extra €100 I think.

Where have you seen the two lense kit for the e420 for sale? would you recomend this model for surfing shots? I would imagine i would need a camera with 4+ fps?? correct me if i am wrong.

Il take a look at the e520 this eve. cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If you are looking at doing some surfing photography then you are looking at some serious glass.

I would be looking at the lens you will be heading towards & then get a body in that system. The budget you have will get you a decent entry level camera. It will not go near the lens you will require for the surfing.

The systems that have glass that will best do what you require will be Canon, Nikon & Sony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

CabanSail wrote: »
    If you are looking at doing some surfing photography then you are looking at some serious glass.

I would be looking at the lens you will be heading towards & then get a body in that system. The budget you have will get you a decent entry level camera. It will not go near the lens you will require for the surfing.

The systems that have glass that will best do what you require will be Canon, Nikon & Sony.
    Don't forget Pentax ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

you will need a fast, shallow draught boat ( with driver) & a waterproof camera, or else a crop-frame DSLR with fast shooting speed + minimum of 300mm lens, preferably 500mm, and a monopod.
    I use a canon 40D myself ( for soccer) one reason I bought it was it will shoot at 6fps... I expect that Nik-oly-pent are all very good, but for me the 40D was the right camera at the right price at the right time.
    Very few if any cameras will do 6fps I think ( could be wrong on this) and I have found it well worthwhile for sport shoots.

I recommend you look at sigma lenses, I have 2 & find them very good, plus great service / repair facility in Bandon, of all places.

Cheers, FoxT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

One of the cheapest waterproof kits you could get would be an Olympus E3 or E1 (old, 5mp and not the best fps) and a 50-200 lens second hand. Those single digit Olympus bodies are built like tanks.

If you're budget is smaller you could get the 70-300 lens and an E420 or E520.

The twin kits are available in Conns so probably available elsewhere in Dublin too

http://www.connscameras.com/flat_areaEQLproductsAMPCategoryIDEQL7816_entry.html

Advertisement