Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with UPC's EPC2425

• 08-08-2009 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd mention, you might notice that your internet's not working (obviously you'll have to be using another connection to read this :p ), as UPC have just pushed a firmware update (epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-090709cs_upc.bin to be exact) which REMOVES the forced "UPC" prefix of your wireless SSID (or it did for me anyway) so automatic connections will fail (took me ages to figure it out).

Just to be clear, the update is automatic (it happened when I restarted it, but I imagine that at some point it would have done it anyway) so you don't do anything, it just happens

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

as UPC have just pushed a firmware update (epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-090709cs_upc.bin to be exact) which REMOVES the forced "UPC" prefix of your wireless SSID (or it did for me anyway) so automatic connections will fail (took me ages to figure it out).

The firmware may fix that problem but it doesn't fix any of the other problems.
    As a modem it works fine but the firewall software looks like it was written by a two year old. I have never seen such an amateur piece of software before.

The list of problems are huge and NTL revert to the "most people find it fine" routine. The problems are so bad I want my Scientific Atlantic modem back. This piece of kit is close to unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Just a related note..

The one I got had a Firewall enabled by default, and it makes SIP (voip phone service) virtually impossible (one way audio etc). Had to turn it off in the setup. It's under Setup -> Firewall -> Options -> Firewall Protection

Fergus wrote: »
    Just a related note..

The one I got had a Firewall enabled by default, and it makes SIP (voip phone service) virtually impossible (one way audio etc). Had to turn it off in the setup. It's under Setup -> Firewall -> Options -> Firewall Protection

turning off the firewall is pretty risky (unless you have another real/proper firewall behind the Cisco)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I have my UPC modem connected to my own wireless router by ethernet cable - how can I access the modem settings? I have a firewall on my router so want to ensure any firewall on the UPC modem is disabled. I've been having major connection troubles for the past few weeks - could this firmware update be causing that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Ive been having connection nightmares myself for the past couple of weeks. Connection is fine and when I connect direct from Modem (blue 250) to PC Im fine, but when I attempt to use a router everythign goes quiet! It goes off and gets DNS and all that stuff, but no internet access wirelessly or via ethernet. Only happened since whatever upgrade which causes the recv light to blink continuously even with nothing else connected. Enet flashes too, even with the PC off!

Any clues?
    Simon

• Advertisement

Ive been having connection nightmares myself for the past couple of weeks. Connection is fine and when I connect direct from Modem (blue 250) to PC Im fine, but when I attempt to use a router everythign goes quiet! It goes off and gets DNS and all that stuff, but no internet access wirelessly or via ethernet. Only happened since whatever upgrade which causes the recv light to blink continuously even with nothing else connected. Enet flashes too, even with the PC off!

Any clues?
    Simon

Essentially the EPC2425 modem is rubbish, so not much more can be said.
    NTL/UPC haven't a clue how to fix it and instead seem to have gone into hiding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 antogrimes

Yes, agreed, modem is a joke. Even Eircom done better.
    Ever since the latest firmware Ive been having insane connection problems, been going on for the last few hours tonight, and usually goes down for around 20 mins - 1 hour every night.

Ive tried everything from rebooting, resetting modem etc. Configuring the modem firewall on/off even enabling UPnp (not that it would change anything, process of elimination)

Ive been having the same issue for months, but got really bad in the last few weeks.
    Chorus/NTL said I need to call them when Im having the issue, but due to hold times they say it would probably come back online while Im waiting to get through to them. Nice bit of honesty, and its usually the case.

So the modem goes through what I can only describe as a spasmo fit, resetting its own connection (indicated by status light power - DS - US - Online, I like the Online one....) first light stays solid, second light blinks, resets, first 2 stay solid, 3 light blinks and so on until eventually it connects. Last few nights even after connecting again Ive been getting trickles of bandwidth and not much else.

get the finger out lads, thats all I can say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Maybe the problem isn't with the modem per se, but with the signal to it? Can you get the upstream / downstream power leevls from it?

I know when I put a split unit on myfolks' TV feed, it had too much attenuation to the modem, which caused random disconnects.

Receive Power Level
    6.9 dBmV

Transmit Power Level
    43.5 dBmV

I dont have TV/Phone, and notusing wireless, connected by ethernet cable.
    What I find works is keeping my modem settings open and rebooting when I get lag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

those levels seem fine - are they stable? if you do a few refreshes of your browser is there much fluctuation between them?

You say you don't use TV service, but if you plug a standard TV into the cable, you should be able to tune it in and get an analogue service - if it worked consistently, you could be sure that it's the modem and not a loose connection somewhere on the line...

• Advertisement

I dont have a cable to connect it to a TV unfortunately.
    Its one or the other man, have a feeling its a line problem though, because I have troubleshooted every possibility on the modem side.

And no, theres no fluctuation when I refresh the browser a lot.

Mind you NTL are currently upgrading all the lines, but in Drumcondra, I'm in Santry, could possibly be affecting service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 NenaghBoy

I'm currently trying to log into this router... Default gateway i'm getting is 192.168.1.1

I put this into my browser and i get a broken link result... anyone any ideas as to how i might get into it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

So just had my UPC Cisco Modem Replaced for the phone dieing problem. and guess what same thing after 3 hours. no Dial tone and no incomming calls.

Router to be rebooted and it worlks for another 2-3 hours.

Does anyone have a fix for this?????

So, into January and the issue STILL persists, after about an hour of rebooting I finally got on to post this.

Same issue as before in terms of connectivity, but now I dont even get the status lights issue, I get all 4 lights lit, and basically trickles of bandwidth coming through.

On hold for the last 20 mins to NTL, however Im sure they wont have a solution to this problem.

It seemed to improve over the xmas week, and now in January back to the same old malarkey - slow connection, barely connecting etc.

Also checked NTLs website, nothing but ramblings about new services etc, tip - fix the existing service first.

EDIT

Got headwrecked on hold, so sent an email, the joys of having the interweb.

"Serious connection faults at home, ongoing since August 2009.

Loss of connection, inability to connect, trickled bandwidth.

Previous issue : So the modem goes through what I can only describe as a connection error, resetting its own connection (indicated by status light power - DS - US - Online) first light stays solid, second light blinks, resets, first 2 stay solid, 3 light blinks and so on until eventually it connects.

Current issue : Same issue as before in terms of connectivity, but now I dont even get the status lights issue, I get all 4 lights lit, and basically trickles of bandwidth coming through if any.

I have gone through all steps of rebooting modem both physically and through the modem settings, resetting all my options, and renewing/releasing LAN/WAN etc.

Issue has been ongoing for months and service is terrible.

BR
    AG"

Lets see what template they choose to send me.

Advertisement