Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning a purchase

Options
  • 08-08-2009 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Hi, girlfriend bought a digital camera from a local chemist last week as a present for her mum.She asked the girl could she get her money back if her mum did not like the camera and she was told that was not a bother. She only bought it because she said this and was not sure if her mum would like it or not. Her mum didnt like it and tried to bring it back and was told that she cant get her money back, only store credit. Is this right for them to say this now or should she get her money back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PacManFan

If there's nothing wrong with the camera, then legally speaking you aren't entitled to anything.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Shopping/changing-your-mind.html
    Remember that you have no rights under consumer law if you simply change your mind and decide you don't want to keep the goods that you have bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

m.j.w wrote: »
    Hi, girlfriend bought a digital camera from a local chemist last week as a present for her mum.She asked the girl could she get her money back if her mum did not like the camera and she was told that was not a bother. She only bought it because she said this and was not sure if her mum would like it or not. Her mum didnt like it and tried to bring it back and was told that she cant get her money back, only store credit. Is this right for them to say this now or should she get her money back
    The product is not at fault, legally you are not even entitled to store credit. The store may give this as an option to retain youre custom in the future. Legally however they do not have to accept a return in this instance.

EDIT: What pacmanfan said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

I understand that but she made a point of saying to the girl could she get her money back as she was not sure and she was told yes she would get her money back. Are they not in the wrong for saying this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

As above, the most you can hope for is Store Credit.

However, it was pretty poor form of the girl to say that the camera could be returned for money. She should have specified that it is only credit. Might it be that your girlfriend misunderstood and that the girl only said something like "yes you can return the camera" or "no problem returning the camera" etc (ie didn't specify it would be for cash?

Very few places allow returns for cash just because the customer later changed their mind.

No she 100% said about the money and was told that was not a problem. Obviously the girl did not know the policy, i thought in that instance that because they were in the wrong they had to sort it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Afraid not, especially not with camera's; vitually no store will take them back unless they are faulty the reason why is a lot of people tend to buy high end camera's before they go on holidays, to weddings etc and then try to return them after the event.

No even Argos will return them and they'll take back pretty much anything.

I know what you's are saying about the policy but where do they stand with regards the girl telling her she could get her money back. This is the only reason she bought the camera, is the store not in fault here?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Try going back to the girl who sold the camera.

Other than that, there's nothing can be done, unless you have proof she said what you say she said.

Take the store credit, and use it wisely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

m.j.w wrote: »
    I know what you's are saying about the policy but where do they stand with regards the girl telling her she could get her money back. This is the only reason she bought the camera, is the store not in fault here?

Quite simply go back find the girl and ask her to get the manager and sort the problem out.

If the company rely on its staff to lie to get sales thats fraud. I know thats an extreme view point but you were given factually incorect information by a member of the stores staff and you used that information in your decision to buy the camera. I take it you wouldn't have bought the camera if the girl said sorry no the store policy is only to give credits notes.

Edit> btw is the camera opened or still sealed in its box, open and I'd say tuff take the credit note, if still sealed in box I'd want money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ttm wrote: »
    If the company rely on its staff to lie to get sales thats fraud. I know thats an extreme view point
    It is a good point. The only reason I mainly shop in argos or HMV is due to their returns policy. Argos do give cash refunds, even if you paid by CC, though some things are exempt, including cameras, though I did successfully get a refund from them on one.

BTW A chemist is the last place on earth I would go shopping for electronics...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 daves20

rubadub wrote: »
    It is a good point. The only reason I mainly shop in argos or HMV is due to their returns policy. Argos do give cash refunds, even if you paid by CC, though some things are exempt, including cameras, though I did successfully get a refund from them on one.

BTW A chemist is the last place on earth I would go shopping for electronics...

Agree with this Argos are very good for returns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

As someone who works in a store I would say that from time to time different staff will have a different perspective on returns which aren't necessarily in keeping with the store policy, i.e its a discretionary thing.

I would certainly have your g.f go back into the store when the original sales clerk is on duty. Her name should be on the receipt so there shouldn't be too much trouble finding her. Kick up a fuss, your g.f relied on the sales clerk's assurance so its really poor service that they are now refusing to give you a refund.

That said, if you don't have a receipt and the camera packaging has been opened...well, store credit is more than fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Yeah Argos and Clarks are vey good for returns, however there was actually something wrong with the product both times, and I got a replacement.

People really should sit down and think about purchases before they make them. Ok if its not fit for purpose then grand get the money back.

Otherwise...........

'Hi, girlfriend bought a digital camera from a local chemist last week as a present for her mum.She asked the girl could she get her money back if her mum did not like the camera and she was told that was not a bother. She only bought it because she said this and was not sure if her mum would like it or not. Her mum didnt like it and tried to bring it back and was told that she cant get her money back, only store credit. Is this right for them to say this now or should she get her money back'

Posted this a couple of weeks back. Just wanted to let everyone know she went into manager who subsequently rang head office (apparently) and she was told there was no chance of her being refunded due to store policy stating no refunds unless goods are faulty. My gf said she was not satisfied with this so the manager apparently rang again 'to fight her corner' and was again told she was not going to get a refund.My gf then asked for head office number and the manager said she would pass on the telephone number and get head office to ring her however she could not say when they would ring. She then looked up the number for the support office online and rang herself. After explaining the situation in a matter of minutes, she was told a refund would not be a problem considering the circumstances and it would be arranged immediately. It is strange how one member of head office can be adamant that a refund is out of the question while another says it's no problem at all. I just wonder did she even ring head office. It just proves sometimes taking matters into your own hands is the best option!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged. OP, please try to find the original thread and post any follow up messages in that thread.

Amazing the difference in customer service that you can receive.

Advertisement