Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Young Person's insurance.

• 08-08-2009 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Right, I have got quotes from various insurance companies. These have ranged from €3,500 - €5,600.:eek: I am 18 years old. I own a 1.3 Colt and have just received my full licence. I feel these are extortionate prices!

I was thinking of getting insured with my father as the main driver and me as a named driver. This is the only way I can get a halfway reasonable quote. Would this be alright or would there be any consequences with this?

Thanks in advance cove! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Have you tried www.123.ie ?

I thought the days of those sort of prices were over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

123, Quinn. Full licence shouldn't have you paying ANYWHERE near that much for a 1.3. Are you looking for TPFT or fully comp?

Putting your father as first driver when he isn't is known as "fronting" and is against the terms of insurance - if they investigated a claim and found this they could refuse to pay first-party costs and persue you for the third party ones too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

123.ie would not give me a quote online. Quinn direct wouldn't quote me either unless i was a named driver. Hibernian, Allianz and Axa were the only ones that would quote me. :(

MYOB - i am looking for fully comp.

Have you any idea what i should do in this situation as i am only a student and cannot afford to pay such high prices.

Did you phone Quinn? Just noticed 123 need you to be 19.

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    123.ie would not give me a quote online. Quinn direct wouldn't quote me either unless i was a named driver. Hibernian, Allianz and Axa were the only ones that would quote me. :(

Did you ring Quinn ? Their system automatically won't give certain age groups quotes on-line but should give you a reasonable quote if you ring them.

I can't see how Quinn would quote you over €3,500 to be honest.

Allianz and Axa give out some shocking quotes for young drivers. I've never got a good quote off of FBD either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

WOW Thats crazy prices when i was 18 my insurance was less then €1000. on a provisonal i'm 22 now full licence and i only pay €320 fully comp

Didn't ring Quinn. Will do that on Monday.:) Cheers for the help i'll get back to you.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ringing around will always get better results. The Colt, although it's a 1.3 will have a loading on it as it's seen as a boy racer car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Does it have to be fully comprehensive insurance?
    Did you get a quote for 3rd party at all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

carly_86 wrote: »
    WOW Thats crazy prices when i was 18 my insurance was less then €1000. on a provisonal i'm 22 now full licence and i only pay €320 fully comp
    Do you have a penis?

I've been driving for 5+ years with a full licence and still pay more than you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭carefulnow99

yeah i know how ye feel

19 year old male here and even though i have a full licence since the start of this summer i cant afford to drive:((it was 3rd level education or driving)

I have priced loads of insurance companies under loads of different circumstances (even with the daddy down as the main driver) and i was still quoted over 2 grand and he is driving over 15 years with no claim!!!!how is this possible its a disgrace... insurance costing more than the car?!?!
    these companies over-inflat prices as the know that if we have never been insured before the can charge what they like!!
    :mad:makes me so cuckin angery :mad:...

oh and do this for fun!
    go to an internet site and click female instead of male and see the difference... iv done it on a few and i almost got sick with the price difference.

MYOB - i am looking for fully comp.

Have you any idea what i should do in this situation as i am only a student and cannot afford to pay such high prices.

do the illegal thing ;):D

Do you have a penis?

I've been driving for 5+ years with a full licence and still pay more than you.

No but if i did it would prob be the biggest penis in the world!

done that there, male 4324, female, 2386!! how can they justify that? i know there are some bad young male drivers but seriously!!

done that there, male 4324, female, 2386!! how can they justify that? i know there are some bad young male drivers but seriously!!

now!!

dont that just really make ye sick?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Try www.insure.ie

I'm 23, and it's 1300 for tpft on an audi a3 1.6. It was only 1550 for fully comp and that's on a provisional.

Thats because according to current RSA campaign, you're *guaranteed* to kill your girlfriend in a crash :rolleyes:

They can't justify it.

A report in I think the Independent last year showed that Insurance companies make more profit off of young male drivers than any other demographic. In fact, they make more than twice the profit off of young male drivers in comparison to middle aged men.

The problem here is that insurance companies are taking the path of least resistance and view young male drivers as an easy target due to the perceived risk factor associated with them. The RSA's approach of demonising young drivers isn't helping with this stereotype.

Oh the joys of been a women still thats very high 4 a female

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

5 years ago, as an 18yo male, I was insured for €3800 fully comp on my own policy on a 1999 1.3 Mitsubishi Colt GLX with Quinn Direct... so can't imagine why it'd be more nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Hibernian are better mate, gave me a quote of 1900 on a 1.3 civic, provisional license, named driver.

your being robbed paying almost 2k for named drivin insurance! Got quoted €2,103 by quinn fully comp on me own:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

How am I being robbed? I'm 17?

Full quote on my own, 6800, cant go wrong then can I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Just got m Quinn Renewal. It seems it only dropped 50 euro but the damn bast*rds have risen the montly cost!. Now instead of paying 110 a month, I'd have to pay 118. This is insane.

1.4litre, aged 23, almost 3 years full license, 2 years full no claims bonus and costingme 1050 euro. Still a bit high :(

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bogs

the companies you tried gave you a price because legally they must but really they dont want your business and its only that your to young.Go on your Dads Ins and its very legal but you wont have any No Claims Bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭tooler7

thats the norm if your young and male.When i started when i was 18 i had to pay 3500 on a 1.2 clio and even when i had 2 years no claims and full licence i was still paying 3500 then on a honda civic 1.4 so thats what the prices are if your young and a male driver dont agree with it but were higher risk according to them and the stats seem to back that up

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Try www.insure.ie

I'm 23, and it's 1300 for tpft on an audi a3 1.6. It was only 1550 for fully comp and that's on a provisional.

I'm pretty sure all Insure.ie quotes assume you have the full 5 years NCB. If you're still on a provisional license I'm guessing you might not have that yet... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

www.quoteline.ie insured me this time lst year 17 no ncb provisional 2.7k on 1.6 ford focus, i changed over 2 a merc in feb and had to pay extra 300e, their renewal came in lst week at 3.2k so i didnt bother and sold the car, got insured on old man's passat tdi there last week at 2.3k 18 1yr ncb with quinn but im driving my teg on third party extension basis for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

try
    insure.ie
    or
    Brittons in Donegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

suck it up tiger cubs, everyone pays high when they first start off. Insurance gets higher in a recession too ;)

Advertisement