Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASBOs?

Options
  • 08-08-2009 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'd be interested to find out about people's experiences if they've tried to use the Criminal Justice Act 2006 (the one that introduced ASBOs) to sort out anti-social behaviour. From what I've read, it appears to be a process driven through the Gardaí.

At what point in an anti-social behaviour situation are they likely to get involved, and what kind of evidence do they seek before taking action?

By way of background, the son/daughter of my next door neighbour has been holding parties every weekend for the better part of a month. I've no objection to that in principle, but at some point in every party a whole bunch of the kids go out to the back and start yelling at the top of their voices. There's no language being shouted - they're literally just being obnoxious for the hell of it. The final straw came last night when (after 12) an electric guitar was hooked up in the garden and an impromptu* gig started. My five year old sister in law was staying over for the night, and you can guess what happened.

The family aren't sterotypical ASBO-magnets, it's quite the opposite in fact: rich neighbourhood, beemer out front, etc. I've written to the parents in the hope that they'll clamp down on the kid, but would like to know my options if they're one of those 'Our johnny can do no wrong' types.

If anyone's sought the help in Gardaí in dealing with anti-social behaviour, I'd love to hear from you!

* I hope - otherwise they're appalling musicians as well as being spoiled brats

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Noisey partys are not a matter for the Gardai. Speak to the department of environment

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Geeky,a cháirde,you are on your own here.

I`d be surprised if the local Gardai would even consider ASBO`s at this stage of proceedings.
    In this juristiction our systems are all geared towards the Primacy of the Individual,"Freedom" if you will.

This entails essentially permitting every person a rather large amount of leeway to do as they wish in direct conflict with the understanding of Human Nature,which tells us that as a species we perform best within clear and unambigious behavioural guidelines.

It`s a form of governance shared with certain sections of the UK Social Masses and it almost invariably produces the same chaotic (for those NOT within it) results.

As bravestar,and probably most ordinary Gardaí will tell you...."Its a Civil Matter".
    However some Members of the Gardaí are quite savvy as to how situations develop and,if you get one of those he/she may well take a broader interest in the goings on of some or all of your persecutors.

This can be very productive,as from experience,such behaviour amongst the types you describe is an indicator of the initial steps which if not blocked can lead an adolescent well astray.

It would not be unusual,after doing a bit of observation to notice patterns of callers,certain vehicles,certain patterns of silence vs noise and as a start I`d be keeping a log.

It`s definitely worth getting to know your local Community Gard or Station Sergeant,do it informally initially before making actual reports.
    Try to ensure that some note is taken in the Station Diary as it all stands to your good.
    Some sound recordings or a bit of surrepticious video of some twerp strutting his stuff,roaring and shouting at 0300 is always good to have too.

Generally your options with Parents will be limited,as if they are minded to leave their Palatial Residence at the tender mercies of their offspring,you`ll find they have a TOTALLY different appreciation of those children that everybody else.

Try and find some neighbours on the opposite sides and get a feel for their level of frustration...use that to your advantage.

What swung it for me was learning of the eldest Twerp`s desire to head Stateside to inflict his personality on the Colonials.
    Meeting the parents in Tesco one Saturday I asked them for a chat over coffee and enquired after the yopung lad`s health and plans.

Daddy was mighty chuffed that the fruit of his loins was keen to go America !....I was mindful that that would leave 2 younger siblings to keep the obnoxious flag flying.

I decided to wing it...and asked Dad if he was aware that the U.S. authorities would be doing background checks on all Visa applicants which would entail a Garda Certificate of Character....I mentioned that any evidence of serial muppetry found on a Local Garda Station Diary attributable to this CHAV would be viewed with interest by the all seeing eye of Uncle Sam.

Now,my point is that I`m not sure that this IS true re the USA visa checks,but the result in my case was INSTANT.
    There has not been a Noisy Party for the past year and apart from a few surly remarks from Sunny Jim the younger all has been sweetness and light.

Interestingly,after a chance meeting with my local community garda some time later (They do tend to change rather quickly I find),she told me that at least one of the Car Registrations I noted belonged to a local up and coming supplier of non-prescription pharmacuticals whose coming`s and going`s were always of interest to the Gardaí in general.

In short its knee bone-hip bone-thigh bone stuff with every action having a knock on effect somewhere else....

Anyway good luck in your quest !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McCrack

AlekSmart what the hell??

OP ASBOS will not apply to what you describe as the noise is coming from a private place. The Gardai also have no jurisdiction either. You can certainly ask the Gardai to call and they usually will oblige.

My advice is talk to the parents (if you havent done so already), failing that a letter from a solicitor stating the facts and asking the disturbance to cease might suffice. Failing that legal proceedings in the District Court which is quick and cheap in these instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Before you go to bed some night, get some local yobs (your community guard will recommend some from one of those aspirational, new monied estates) to have a hell-raising, earbleedingly noisy party in your garden to see how they like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭desertstorm

Hang on, are you saying if I'm having a mad party and guards come to break it up due to noise, I can turn around and say it's not their jurisdiction? Is there any way saying something along the lines of that won't result in being taken down to the station or something similar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Hang on, are you saying if I'm having a mad party and guards come to break it up due to noise, I can turn around and say it's not their jurisdiction? Is there any way saying something along the lines of that won't result in being taken down to the station or something similar?

Yes Garda....i'll turn it down as my neighbours have complained!! (that usually works:p)

Gardaí cannot forcefully stop you playing music. But for your neighbours sake if they do call, oblige and turn it down. Loud neighbours is a civil matter for the dep of envoirment.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Sitric

Hi NGA, desertstorm's question is a valid one. If the gardai call to a party at a private home can the householder simply refuse to turn down music/break up party etc

It would be a rotten, antisocial thing to do to your neighbours but would you be breaking the law in any way to refuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Sitric wrote: »
    Hi NGA, desertstorm's question is a valid one. If the gardai call to a party at a private home can the householder simply refuse to turn down music/break up party etc

It would be a rotten, antisocial thing to do to your neighbours but would you be breaking the law in any way to refuse?

Your not breaking criminal law, but maybe breaking civil law.

If a Garda asks you to turn it down (dont say f*ck off....you'll get lifted for breach of peace:D) you can tell him/her no.

If these matters continue your neighbour can get onto Dept of Enviroment and EPA who will come out with a disbel reader. If its over their guidlines....be ready to hit court with your bank balance:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 booms mcd

try sect 114 cja 2006. adult behavioural warning. No reference to public place and treated as civil law at court, sect 115 (super prosecutes :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

I had a huge reply prepared quoting chapter and verse from the CJA but firefox froze on me... Short Version:

The Act would indicate that as this behaviour causes OP 'significant or persistent impairment of the use or enjoyment of their property' then it does indeed qualify as Anti-social Behaviour. It is also worth noting that private places are not excluded from this legislation. While it is true, as booms said, that ASBO's are treated as civil law, they still fall under the remit of AGS.

However, in Ireland (unlike the UK - people really need to learn the difference between ASBO's in each) an ASBO is the end of a three step process. Depending on how serious the behaviour is, a member of AGS may determine that a behaviour warning is appropriate.

Any advice to continue reporting such instances (and also to build up a relationship at the local station lest you be considered just another curtain-twitching prodnose*) should be taken into account as otherwise it is unlikely that a warning will be issued.

It's worth noting that the powers of discretion granted to members of AGS mean that you can't request for a warning to be issued (well, you can request it but nobody has to do anything about it). ASBO's and other proceedings tend to be issued very rarely in Ireland and with good reason. There's a huge pressure from above and from government not to end up with a situation like in the UK where they're used for any and every minor upset. This just tends to undermine the whole process.

This means that it's unlikely that anyone in the local station will feel that an ASBO is warranted but steps towards it do at least have to be considered should the behaviour be a genuinely long term thing (Even I'm unsure that once a week for the better part of a month can be considered persistent or significant imparment).

tl;dr It is indeed the responsibility of AGS (if it is genuinely persistent or significant) but tends to be reserved for more serious behaviour than parties once a week no matter how disruptive they may get. Dept. of Environment and EPA are indeed your best bets (also as McCrack says, contact with your solicitor).

*Some people just are, let's face it. Everyone knows someone who just hates to see kids enjoying themselves, although this doesn't seem like one of those instances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

As I wasn't logged in, this seemed easier than editing.

It's also worth noting that referral to the Garda Juvenile Diversion Programme is a possibility but also tends to be reserved for more serious cases.

The Diversion Programme, by the way, is what used to be the JLO scheme, established, I think in 1961. This in particular recognised the importance of the discretion of members due to the nature of most youth crime (the majority of kiddies tend to just grow out of it and criminal charges then become less appropriate).

Additionally, while it is unfortunate, kids from more well to do areas tend to be less likely to remain involved in activity that would be a concern to AGS once they grow out of the adolescent need to rebel. This means that involvement by the Guards is even less likely.

It's an unfortunate fact of life that every copper has areas of his jurisdiction that require more involvement and effort than others and issues from the less complicated areas, unless very serious, tend to garner less attention. This only really happens because limited resources mean that certain issues need to be given priority and calls from more affluent areas, in general, tend to be less serious (I'll use studies if I need to but I think most members would agree with that anyway).

Advertisement