Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's the BT 7.6Mb exchange upgrade?

Options
  • 08-08-2009 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭

Several months ago on the BT site, there was a number-check to see what date the local exchange would be upgraded. It said 26th July for Listowel. I can see no mention whatsoever of any news on the upgrade, and the number-check link is pretty well hidden on their site now. I did manage to find the link again through a Google cache, and even now it says the weekend of 26th July. Of course it didn't mention the year:D

I contacted BT and queried the upgrade date, but they, for some peculiar reason, didn't give me an answer, instead telling me that one of their representatives would contact me.

Anybody got any clues? Is there a nationwide problem of any description?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The upgrades were done in 2008.

Recent thread about the same thing here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055639619

• Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

kaizersoze wrote: »
    The upgrades were done in 2008.

Recent thread about the same thing here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055639619

I'll be having a very interesting call when I speak with their feckin representative. It seems a lot of people think that it's supposedly happening this year.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

BT aren't doing any exchange upgrades, eircom are. BT have a few 24M exchanges, mainly in Dublin, but a few outside. That's the only thing they have control over. All the 7.6Mbps updates are done, but some lines simply can't handle it. Why they would tell you otherwise is a mystery.

jor el wrote: »
    BT aren't doing any exchange upgrades, eircom are. BT have a few 24M exchanges, mainly in Dublin, but a few outside. That's the only thing they have control over. All the 7.6Mbps updates are done, but some lines simply can't handle it. Why they would tell you otherwise is a mystery.

I knew that Eircom was involved in the upgrades, but didn't have a clue about the 7.6 until I was poking around BT's site this year. Why they still had the upgrade date-checker months after the event, God only knows.

It's a bit of a joke when they charge the same amount for 3, 7.6 and 24. If my line can't handle 7.6, I'll be asking why I shouldn't have a reduction.

Having had a look at BT's charges, they do charge less for a 3Mbps with a 30gb monthly limit. For a 7.6Mbps and 24Mbps, the monthly dl/ul is unlimited. I'm thinking that, when a local exchanger has been upgraded, everyone is assumed to be on 7.6Mpbs, even though people like me are still stuck on 3Mbps.

Taking it a stage further, why the hell should someone actually getting 7.6Mbps, pay the same as someone fortunate enough to be on a 24Mbps enabled line?

BT's price structure "smells", to use that well-known accountancy expression.

• Advertisement

Finally heard back from BT. Needless to say, the upgrade was done but I'm too far from the exchange to get 7.6Mbps. I did suggest that I was being overcharged, because I was only getting 3Mbps, but they came up with the unlimited download aspect, not to mention that my contention ratio would be 48:1 instead of the 24:1 that it is at the moment, should I decide to choose the 3Mbps option.

Looks like I'm stuck.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

Total Bull!
    What they say is true, but its not worth the extra money.

My parents were on the BT 3Mb upgraded to 7Mb.
    I downgraded them down to 3Mb, seems just as good. It been a while since the upgrade.

I'm on Eircom 7Mb and my parents live 3.5 Km from the exchange, I live .8 Km from the same one. Yet they have better pings(Even when I downgraded to 3Mb to see)

So unless you REALLY need unlimited downloads then downgrade

ejmaztec wrote: »
    , but they came up with the unlimited download aspect,
    Calebmcd wrote: »
    Total Bull!
    So unless you REALLY need unlimited downloads then downgrade

Ye know their 'Unlimited' downloads aren't really unlimited, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭robric

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Finally heard back from BT. Needless to say, the upgrade was done but I'm too far from the exchange to get 7.6Mbps. I did suggest that I was being overcharged, because I was only getting 3Mbps, but they came up with the unlimited download aspect, not to mention that my contention ratio would be 48:1 instead of the 24:1 that it is at the moment, should I decide to choose the 3Mbps option.

Looks like I'm stuck.:(

are they saying that your contention ratio would worsen on the faster speed? isnt this a worse thing......

robric wrote: »
    are they saying that your contention ratio would worsen on the faster speed? isnt this a worse thing......

They were saying the opposite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement