If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound!!!

• 08-08-2009 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

ok folks

here it goes.... I'm very taken with the Monitor Audio BR Av system, cherry, they look fantastic so that would be my mecca currently, but they ain't cheap and I suppose I'm aiming quite high for "my first real speakers".

Having looked about I'm drawn to the Denon 1910 too but the issue with the 1910 is I think it's too large for my stand (purchased from Philips shop 3 years ago, see pic) as far as I can make out the unit 17.1cm high (434x171x377 from tech specs) and I reckon my larger top slot is slightly over 16cm, I paid €400 for the stand and I like it so I'm not really going to invest several hundred in a new one just so I can fit the AV in and I do do not intend to apply for planning permission to put it on "display" as no doubt the local resident (Mrs. Hick) will object, Mohamad will have to come to the mountain on this one.

EE93C24121F2465892530399CBA660D5.jpg

I would of thought the 1610 was shorter but alas those wiley geeks at Denon must of talked to the accountants and figured it was cheaper to use the same chassis for all!

So what's the alarantives (or can I screw the legs off :D) I'll get 5.1 at the start and might (will) upgrade to 7.1 at a later stage, I still need to get my head around the benefits of the AV in general such as the HDMI pass through so I'll need some expalation there, firstly on the switching on how easy it is, I don't want to have those phone calls from herself anymore about why she can't see the dvd but hear the sound etc. So does it automaticlly switch when a device is turned on. Do they all come with loudness adjucement for ads etc now? yeda yeda

So the gauntlet has be lain down, I want shot of my old Sony Dav-SC8
    it's merely taunting me at the moment! I can hear it from the other room daring me as I type.

Thanks in advnace
    Hick

PS I reckon RS should consider a 0% finance option in the current climate, it'd speed my decision up no end! 50% down and 6-12 payments after. Just a thought! :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Hick, I know the Richer guys stock some Marantz amps but I don't know if they stock this one yet but it could suit you. It's a Marantz nr 1501 slimline amp, don't know too much about it but it should easily fit into your cabinet.

http://www.marantz.com/new/index.cfm?fuseaction=Products.Product&cont=eu&bus=hf&type=avr&prod_id=3827&series=comp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Hey Hick,

Just note that if you do run with the Denon, allow enough space around the unit for air as it will get quite warm when turned on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

guinnessdrinker thanks for that link it looks very good, would just have to figure out is 50w per channel enough, I know Watts ain't everything and you don't get 2x power if you have 100W, but I plan on keeping whatever system I get for a while otherwise I'd just get second hand an upgrade as time goes by (sounds better every day). But I'd definetly be interested although guess it's less likely to see that in a open box sale:D
    I see it has a decent s/n ration of 100db but no mention of distortion info.

ronaneire fair point too, I reckon you'd need a good 2cm clearance on top for any system so that puts most if not all the Denon's out!

I tell ye the more I look monitor speakers the more I like them, I'm currently convincing myself I need BR 6's for the front, heart says go for it, my head says you've already done it with the 42PFL9664 and BDP3000 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Do it Hick, ya know you want to :D
    I've a pair of BR 1's for rears and they sound swet, I can imagine the 6's would be hot.

anyone know how to contact those black market kidney guys

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,469 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

hick wrote: »
    anyone know how to contact those black market kidney guys

Hick,

apologies for the lack of contact - I was away on Hols last week!

The system looks great - Mrs. Hick must have you under pressure to make it neat and get rid of all the wires?

OK - I agree that the Marantz NR1501 would be ideal from a size point of view - however it is also a really well built and good sounding receiver (it is a Marantz after all!) and it also weighs a ton! (I'm a bit old fashioned and I think that a decent power supply does so much to help the dynamics of a system).

We have the 1501 in stock and on display and I can assure you that it will drive BR6's no issue - however unless you have a huge room I would recommend the BR5 over the BR6 (and you will save yourself a few £'s!)

Ok so for the complete system:

Monitor Audio BR5 front speakers
    Monitor Audio BRFX Rear Speakers
    Monitor Audio BRLCR Centre Speaker
    Monitor Audio BRW10 Subwoofer
    Marantz NR1501 AV Receiver

The total system price is £1499 - we can discount this to £1349 including delivery.

Thanks again for the post and as ever drop me a line if we can assist in any way,
    ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

johnmc wrote: »
    Hick,

apologies for the lack of contact - I was away on Hols last week!
    The total system price is £1499 - we can discount this to £1349 including delivery.....

John Mc

Hey John thanks for the reply and I hope you enjoyed the break! Seriously don't be worrying about the contact Ash and Dave were keeping us all well looked after! While Mrs Hick is delighted at how neat it is, that was the small boy inside me that just wanted his new toy to be perfect, don't despair though my Weetabix bowl still laid unwashed in the sink and I still don't know how to work a mop!

My kidney quip was aimed at paying for this, not for trying to get in contact with ye and it appears I am definelty going to need to find someone to buy it and maybe a right arm now!!! :D

Thanks for the tip on the Br5's I reckon yer right, it sure does appear to be a fab system and i share your sentiments on a decent power supply. But from the looks of things this is going to be a long buying process! More of a cash flow than a decision issue! Ye might PM me the break down of the above,

Cheers & welcome back!!!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.