Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceptable use for a 9mm pistol

Options
  • 08-08-2009 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

I was just looking through the FCA1 and was wondering, in the eye's of the Garda, now seeing that IPSC & IDPA are all but banned in Ireland, what is an acceptable use for a 9mm pistol ?

Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

IPSC and IDPA are not the only shooting sports which involve centerfire pistols.

Very popular over here is PPC competitions and the WA1500 disciplines.
    check out http://www.wa1500.org

ISSF also use centerfire pistol in one of their events. It can be anything from .32 to.38 calibre. I have tried it with a CZ in 9mm and was not dissapointed, though purpose built Pardini or Walther and other ISSF pistols would give you the edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Just as a point of information, IDPA was never practised here as far as I know, not that that stopped the Minister and his earnest advisors from 'accidentally' mixing it up with IPSC.

As Kryten says, there are plenty of centrefire pistol sports that aren't (yet) 'anathema to Irish sporting culture', but, needless to say, you should only mention the particular discipline(s) in which you actually participate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Rovi wrote: »
    ................... but, needless to say, you should only mention the particular discipline(s) in which you actually participate.

And provide proof of same I reckon would help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Well I'm sure common or garden bullseye shooting at your local club should suffice if indeed that is what you do. I think attendence records will be the key now that they will be mandatory, I can see a lot of the certs issued this time around not being issued in 3 years time, particularly for centre fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

As G17 said - regular attendance of your club/range is sufficient -

'Target Shooting' is all I intend to put down for the 'reason'
    That is what it is for and that is what I use it for.

B'Man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Bananaman wrote: »
    As G17 said - regular attendance of your club/range is sufficient -

'Target Shooting' is all I intend to put down for the 'reason'
    That is what it is for and that is what I use it for.

B'Man
    Well seeing as the other two options are 'hunting' or 'other', there's not much choice :D

Having said that, the thread title does make the mind boggle just a little. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

rrpc wrote: »
    Well seeing as the other two options are 'hunting' or 'other', there's not much choice :D

Having said that, the thread title does make the mind boggle just a little. ;)

I wonder how far you'd get ticking "other" :D

packas wrote: »
    As far as the blank sheet of paper with 'specify' written on it :D

In fact I'm a bit boggled trying to figure out 'other' for any firearm. What else is there that isn't hunting or target shooting? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

What else is there that isn't hunting or target shooting?
    the first two that come to mind are Humane Dispatch and Athletics (for blank-firing starter guns).

Sparks wrote: »
    the first two that come to mind are Humane Dispatch and Athletics (for blank-firing starter guns).
    Humane despatch would be included in hunting surely? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I don't know too many vets who stalk the horses they have to occasionally put down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

packas wrote: »

I think its a trick question:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Hezz700 wrote: »
    I think its a trick question:D

Yes like, "Are there any women here today?", at a stoning.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Will marks be deducted for spelling???:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Will marks be deducted for spelling???:eek:
    No, just for punctuation :D

Advertisement