Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal 3 pin socket in bathroom?

Options
  • 08-08-2009 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

There are "blanks" in my bathrooms, which I'm assuming are there if you want to fit a shaver socket.

Is it illegal/unsuitable to fit a 3 pin socket there? If it is illegal, presumably you could just remove the socket and refit the blank before selling?

Other than potential electrocution if someone starts waggling hairdryers/toasters/powertools while standing in/near a basin of water, are there any other reasons not to fit a socket there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

No elctrical outlets other shaver sockets are permitted in a bathroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

its not just the use of the hare dryer/jack rabbits/curling tongs and other stuff that is the issue: the normal 3 pin socket is not suitable for such a damp/wet environment and you run the risk of someone being killed by perhaps even running their hand across the socket, even while cleaning.

U can get hardwired, with suitable IP ratings, hair dryers as used in hotels/guesthouses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

the shaver socket is run off the lighting circuit,which is 1.5mm2(without an earth), a socket is run off 2.5 mm2. The fusing/ protection on these circuit is completely different. It is very dangerous to run a socket on the lighting circuit and also illegal. This law is there to stop people dying, obey it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Thanks all - it's the 1.5 vs 2.5 that I wasn't sure of. I'd been thinking of something like this (we used use something similar in a stables) if I was going to do it.

What I actually want it for is a ladies epilator/shaver. I'm just not sure why it's OK to plug in a men's shaver in the bathroom (comes with 2 pins) but not a lady's (3 pins).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

There usually isn't an earth on the lighting circuit. Putting a normal socket in the bathroom is just asking for trouble. Any chance you can use the charger from another razor on the ladyshave? The earth on it's charger probably isn't needed (only two pins to the device itself?) and is there to protect the transformer. The razor is drawing very little power (it's just charging a battery) which is why it's ok on the lighting circuit. The two pin plug/socket is to stop people plugging other devices into the lighting circuit and possibly damaging it. I'm guessing the 3 pin plug on the ladyshave has a built in transformer and thats the real problem, not the current it would draw. There are adapters, but if the plug is one of those bulky transformer types, they mightn't be much use. Also, if the plug is one of the bulky transformer types, you couldn't close the IP56 socket when it's in use, which sorta defeats the purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

the sockets (2 pin) for electrical shavers are typically fed through a one to one transformer to isolate the electrical path from the main electrical path used by other electrical appliances. These transformer are small and can only allow small amounts of electricity to pass through them, any electrical appliance that produces heat requires more electricity and the isolation traffos can't handle it. Shavers use very little electricity.

Sorry to bring this up again (over a year later), but I keep coming back to it. Finally got around to removing the blank, and there is an earth wire in there, and it looks like pretty standard cabling to me. Any further thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

No nothing about electrics... But wondering is it a fused spur for a whirlpool that was ment to be fitted.... Although it should run i imagine to a fused box at the back of the bathroom...

Outside that.... A converted bedroom perhaps....

No nothing about electrics... But wondering is it a fused spur for a whirlpool that was ment to be fitted.... Although it should run i imagine to a fused box at the back of the bathroom...

Outside that.... A converted bedroom perhaps....

No - purpose built ensuite (came with the apartment and wired up that way). Definitely no room for a whirlpool, though if I took out the toilet, sink and shower I could turn it (and unfortunately the adjoining bedroom) into a nice steam room :)

I didn't poke around too much, but from a casual glance it appears as if the wires are heading down and sideways towards the bedroom wallsockets, rather than straight up towards the lighting circuit, but it could quite easily be bending itself around the place out of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

as already said- the shaver socket isolates the supply

Stoner wrote: »
    the sockets (2 pin) for electrical shavers are typically fed through a one to one transformer to isolate the electrical path from the main electrical path used by other electrical appliances. These transformer are small and can only allow small amounts of electricity to pass through them, any electrical appliance that produces heat requires more electricity and the isolation traffos can't handle it. Shavers use very little electricity.
    M cebee wrote: »
    as already said- the shaver socket isolates the supply

Aha, thank you - for some reason everytime I've read Stoner's response I've automatically read it as the shaver isolates, not "the socket isolates".

Sorry it's taken so long for it to sink in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Thoie wrote: »
    Aha, thank you - for some reason everytime I've read Stoner's response I've automatically read it as the shaver isolates, not "the socket isolates".

Sorry it's taken so long for it to sink in.

Its the transformer in the shaving socket that isolates the shaver outlet pins from the mains. There is no possible electrical path back to earth with the transformer secondary winding not having any connection to the primary and secondary not being earthed at any point.

Advertisement