Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most unfair Who wants to be a millionaire question ever.

• 08-08-2009 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭

Just on ITV there a minute ago, guy was on 10k, going for 20k

q What did the duke and duchess of Wessex call their baby boy in 2007

A Charles B Philip
    C William D James

(options are wrong, but the right answer is in there)

What kind of ****ty question is that?

How is anyone supposed to know? Where the **** is Wessex anyway? And what have those toffs ever done to make the name of their 2 year old baby memorable or important in any way?

The guy asked his friend who hadn't a notion and ended up guessing on a 50:50 which he got
    wrong

I googled the question and looked on the duke's wikipedia page and also his section of the british royal family website and neither page mentioned the name of the child

Are ITV going broke or something and they're scrounging on the quiz prize money?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

He's one of only four kids it's not like they're distant relatives of the Queen. I would imagine most Brits would know about the immediate family. They have kept their kids out of the public eye but the two kids are listed on Wikikpedia. I think more Brits are still Royalists (or whatever) than care to admit it!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

It's one of those "know it or dont" questions. Im sure it's as relevant to some folk as the names of Jade Goody's Kids, or Jordans , or Michael Jacksons, or hell , even Bertie Ahern's Grandchild .

(i.e. not really relevant at all. It's just useless sh*te that you accidentally store in the recesses of your mind...)

Well, the show IS on British TV, so I don't think it's some kind of dastardly plan....Just throwing it out there, but since it''s a question on the British Royal family , asked on a British TV show, aimed at a British audience, perhaps the viewers & contestants there would be more likely to have an inkling of the answer than anyone living in Ireland might... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Question sounds fair enough for me, since they are in Britland. Would be unfair if it was asked in the Irish version, but it wasnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

and ITV are suppose to have lost 125 million this year so far :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Akrasia wrote: »
    But couldn't anyone describe a question that they don't know the answer to as a "****ty question"?

I know absolutely nothing about, and have no interest in soap operas, star signs, nursery rhymes or cartoons yet many of the questions relate to these topics. I have to accept that many people are interested in these things and therefore accept that they may be considered appropriate in a general knowledge quiz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Akrasia wrote: »
    Just on ITV there a minute ago, guy was on 10k, going for 20k

q What did the duke and duchess of Wessex call their baby boy in 2007

A Charles B Philip
    C William D James

(options are wrong, but the right answer is in there)

How is anyone supposed to know? Where the **** is Wessex anyway? And what have those toffs ever done to make the name of their 2 year old baby memorable or important in any way?

The guy asked his friend who hadn't a notion and ended up guessing on a 50:50 which he got
    wrong

I googled the question and looked on the duke's wikipedia page and also his section of the british royal family website and neither page mentioned the name of the child

Are ITV going broke or something and they're scrounging on the quiz prize money?

Going by this logic there are lots of ****ty questions on that show seeing as I do not know the answers to some of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

People still watch "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire"?

Is it 2001 already?! :pac:

fintonie wrote: »
    and ITV are suppose to have lost 125 million this year so far :eek:

Jaysus.

The questions must have been an absolute piece of piss for the first few shows at that rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Is who wants to be a millionaire still going? I thought it ended years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Going by this logic there are lots of ****ty questions on that show seeing as I do not know the answers to some of them.

its not so much the topic I was surprised about (depressingly, the royal family are a very very common subject in almost every U.K. quiz show) but that question just seemed really really obscure.

The Earl of wessex is 7th or 8th in line for the throne (in other words, hasn't a hope in hell of ever being king) The child was born 2 years ago, long enough for the birth to be very old news, not long enough for the child to have done anything to be newsworthy himself.

the question was just unfair, they might as well have asked who was Queen Elizabeth II's favourite uncle.

• Advertisement

Well, given that the answer relates to the youngest grandchild of the Head of state of the country where the show is broadcast, it's hardly "unfair" just cos you dont know the answer.

It''s a bit "Hello magazine", granted, but not exactly unfair.

The same could easily happen on quiz shows here - Recently, during Bertie's tenure as Taoiseach, there wasnt a mongrel on the street who hadn't heard about the Birth of his grandchildren because of the unnecessarily fawning Irish media coverage, and at least one in 5 Irish people could probably tell you one of the kids names even now if asked, but your average British citizen wouldn't have a scooby what the kids were called, cos it's not in any way relevant to 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Worst question I've seen was on the Irish version.

What date is Saint Swithins Day - July 13th, July 14th, July 15th or July 16th?

It struck me as against the whole ethos of the program as if you didn't know the answer there was no possibility of guesswork/logical reasoning.
    The 50/50 or Ask the Audience lifelines were basically redundant as well.

Even if they'd given 4 different months it wouldn't have been as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Do you not remember the one about the doe, and what sort of animal it was. Of course yer man in the hotseat started reciting Julie Andrews, came up with "a female deer", when a doe is in fact a wabbit. Has to be the most unfair question on the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Hang on, isn't the Duchess of Wessex married to one of the Queen's children? Therefore this child is a grandson of the Queen, same as Prince William or Harry...

That's fairly close to the Queen in fairness. If you're British, it's probably a fair question.

Edit: Sorry, I've just seen someone else had mentioned that above.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Do you not remember the one about the doe, and what sort of animal it was. Of course yer man in the hotseat started reciting Julie Andrews, came up with "a female deer", when a doe is in fact a wabbit. Has to be the most unfair question on the show.

I remember that one, terrible question and the guy walked away with nothing because of it ( I think it was for IR500), he should have been given another go.

The questions in the British version tend to be fairer at the early rounds. The question about the Duke of Wessex was a bit of a stinker but at least the contestant could have walked away with £10,000 if he didn't fancy it (and it wasn't a 'trick' question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

It struck me as against the whole ethos of the program as if you didn't know the answer there was no possibility of guesswork/logical reasoning.
    The 50/50 or Ask the Audience lifelines were basically redundant as well.

Even if they'd given 4 different months it wouldn't have been as bad.

I knew it was the 15th. There's the old rhyme, "if it rains on St Swithin's day, it will rain for 40 days". 50:50 was useful as it raised the chance of a correct guess from 25% to 50%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

No, the question was "What is a female rabbit?" and he thought "doe is a deer, so it can't be a rabbit" even though other words such as calf, bull, cub are shared by many animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

A bit unrelated but I thought I would mention it.

I was playing Buzz! The music quiz game for the PS2. Anyway, the song Purple Pills by D12 started playing and I had to guess what song it was.
    I was giving the following options:

A.Purple Hills
    B.Purple Pills

And two other options. Guess which one was correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,908 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dman001 wrote: »
    A bit unrelated but I thought I would mention it.

I was playing Buzz! The music quiz game for the PS2. Anyway, the song Purple Pills by D12 started playing and I had to guess what song it was.
    I was giving the following options:

A.Purple Hills
    B.Purple Pills

And two other options. Guess which one was correct.

Isn't the sanitised "Purple Hills" version fairly clearly different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

MYOB wrote: »
    Isn't the sanitised "Purple Hills" version fairly clearly different?
    There was no lyrics in the song. It was only the background music, which I believe is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

994 wrote: »
    I knew it was the 15th. There's the old rhyme, "if it rains on St Swithin's day, it will rain for 40 days". 50:50 was useful as it raised the chance of a correct guess from 25% to 50%.

Well, if you didn't know the actual date then even knowing about the rhyme was of no help.

So if they'd given say Dec 15th, April 15th, July 15th and August 15th as the four options, then you could mentally exclude December 100%, and perhaps take a chance in your head on excluding August. You then pick 50/50 Lifeline and see whats left etc.

I think the English version always leaves you a chance to do some logical reasoning and then it depends how much of a gambol you have in you, whereas this question on the Irish edition was totally a "You either know it or you've no chance" situation.

Advertisement