Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV, STV, ITV1 Wales or ITV1 England Regions?

Options
  • 08-08-2009 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

If you are watching the ITV network which one do you choose?

The Channel 3 Franchise Area Poll 15 votes

UTV
    0% 0 votes
    ITV1 Wales
    80% 12 votes
    STV
    13% 2 votes
    ITV1 English Regions (please state which one)
    6% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ITV London. Can't be doing with the regions and thier funny accents/ways/programmes. Not that I've watched ITV1 at all in the last 4/5 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

ITV1 Westcountry for the rare times I watch. It has a higher bit rate to the rest.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If any, it's usually UTV, as it's near the top of my Sky EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

mike65 wrote: »
    ITV London. Can't be doing with the regions and thier funny accents/ways/programmes. Not that I've watched ITV1 at all in the last 4/5 months.

I hear that one of the ITVs regions will be taking over all ITV1 cotinunity as part of their cost cutting measures. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭marclt

Elmo wrote: »
    I hear that one of the ITVs regions will be taking over all ITV1 cotinunity as part of their cost cutting measures. :D

London already does. There is no local continuity now except for Scotland and Ulster.

• Advertisement

marclt wrote: »
    London already does. There is no local continuity now except for Scotland and Ulster.

What do they do for local programming. Is this the same for the BBC English regions?

Local programing on ITV?

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Local programing on ITV?

Yeah Emmerdale and Coronation Street :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Elmo wrote: »
    What do they do for local programming. Is this the same for the BBC English regions?

In England and Wales, all ITV continuity is done by the London team. Voiceovers for local idents (there still existed as of the introduction of the current logo local idents, though I'm not sure if they are ever played out any more) are pre-recorded in London. ITV1 Wales has been known to do its own continuity on St. David's Day, though, but this is an exception (and a token one) to the rule. AFAIK only Yorkshire Television still has local transmission control facilties and does so for the North of England - but there are no local announcers.

On the BBC, there is still local announcers before regional programmes (and network news bulettins - a consequence of the incorporation of the regional news into the network bulletins since 1999) and local English Regions still have the ability to opt-out on BBC One.

Since ITV went FTA,I have'nt watched UTV at all.I hated that Julian bloke with his "and now on the UTV". I watch BBC 1 London as well!

• Advertisement

I flicked around the regions on BBC1 for the various 6.30 opt outs and not a yokely accent to be heard. Very dissapointing, all standard neutral bar Norn Iron.

I flicked around the regions on BBC1 for the various 6.30 opt outs and not a yokely accent to be heard. Very dissapointing, all standard neutral bar Norn Iron.

The most neutral english speaking people in Ireland are on BBC ONE Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭marclt

icdg wrote: »
    ITV1 Wales has been known to do its own continuity on St. David's Day, though, but this is an exception (and a token one) to the rule.

Everything supposedly 'local' is token on that channel. The local news is more like a magazine full of soft stories. It is a joke.

It is a shame that Wales is being thrown in with the rest of England - at least (for whatever criticism levelled at it) viewers in Ulster and Scotland have a more reflective view of life there. There is a big debate amongst media types and politicians at the moment about the loss of local english language programming and the eventual lack of pluralism when ITV throws in the public service towel. Welsh language speakers effectively have better coverage through one channel (S4C) than English language viewers over two or three. (BBC1, 2 and ITV).

marclt wrote: »
    Everything supposedly 'local' is token on that channel. The local news is more like a magazine full of soft stories. It is a joke.

It is a shame that Wales is being thrown in with the rest of England - at least (for whatever criticism levelled at it) viewers in Ulster and Scotland have a more reflective view of life there. There is a big debate amongst media types and politicians at the moment about the loss of local english language programming and the eventual lack of pluralism when ITV throws in the public service towel. Welsh language speakers effectively have better coverage through one channel (S4C) than English language viewers over two or three. (BBC1, 2 and ITV).

Perhaps S4C need to provide an English lanuage verision of their service via C4.

I was reading that one option was to have C4 go regional in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

ITV West Midlands, then London. I have family living in Coventry, and London has less opt outs, so less delays in programming.

I see STV are continuing along the UTV led route, and removing themselves more from the generic ITV brand. Original programming less from main ITV programming, and acquiring more programmes from other broadcasters - RTE included.

http://www.theairwaves.net/index.php/tvindustrynews/3903-stv-to-purchase-more-drama-from-other-broadcasters

Courtesy - The Airwaves

I see STV are continuing along the UTV led route, and removing themselves more from the generic ITV brand. Original programming less from main ITV programming, and acquiring more programmes from other broadcasters - RTE included.

http://www.theairwaves.net/index.php/tvindustrynews/3903-stv-to-purchase-more-drama-from-other-broadcasters

Courtesy - The Airwaves

How much ITV programming has UTV dropped?

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    How much ITV programming has UTV dropped?

I wouldn't have said very much, STV have taken the big move of dropping next seasons The Bill* since it was costing them too much per episode.

I would have thought STV was more Scottish that UTV is Ulsterish(?)

*and it is ****

I was referring more to STV moving away from the generic ITV branding like UTV. Original programming was never much of a consideration for UTV for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

It would be extremely rarely that I would watch anything on ITV1* but when I do it would be UTV only because its my local region and comes in by default on my satellite box.

For viewers in the Republic most would go for UTV (bar maybe in the SE where people might watch HTV out of habit) because its still percieved as the mose proximate one from a cultural and (in most places) geographical standpoint.

TBH there is so little difference between ITV regions now that there is little (other than the highter bitrate on Westcountry** perhaps) to choose between them.

* I do watch the odd programme on ITV3 though
    ** Does anyone know why ?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

ITV 1 West Yrokshire for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

ITV London for me. Can't be dealing with local opt outs and other program delays.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    ITV London for me. Can't be dealing with local opt outs and other program delays.

Is London not a locality?

Indeed.

Well they have less regional rubbish.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Indeed.

Well they have less regional rubbish.

Do they not have the same amount of regional rubbish for London?

Nope.

Apart from the news programme thats it - No City of London Challange, no Give me Loaf of Bread some Quiet, its great! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I get ITV in the Granada ( North West England ) region

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Apart from the news programme thats it - No City of London Challange, no Give me Loaf of Bread some Quiet, its great! :D

Hmm, they're supposed to have the same regional programming requirements as all other English regions! Although admititly that's down to nearly zero now. Whatever happened to such Carlton/LWT stalwarts as...well, only The London Programme comes to mind...

• Advertisement

Yeah just think about this, everyone in the UK has to suffer through the election of the Mayor of London :(

Advertisement