Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi-official Outsider's Map of Galway

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

EJLL wrote: »
    This map has lost me...

You are trying too hard...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Great idea. Good to put in a few clues about suburbs - mr Just and I just had a disagreement about whether Knocknacarra is a Yes or a Maybe.

I'd have to agree with all the yes/no bits myself: there are fine bits in some of the No's, but it takes a bit of insider knowledge to figure out what's what.

(And I live in a Yes!)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Knocknacarra should definitely be a no anyway.

OP what is it you're searching for exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

JustMary wrote: »
    Great idea. Good to put in a few clues about suburbs - mr Just and I just had a disagreement about whether Knocknacarra is a Yes or a Maybe.

I'd have to agree with all the yes/no bits myself: there are fine bits in some of the No's, but it takes a bit of insider knowledge to figure out what's what.

(And I live in a Yes!)

The part by the Golf Club up to Joyce's and along the Barna road is a 'Yes'. Further up hill, towards the WDR, rapidly becomes a definite 'No'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Svalbard wrote: »
    The part by the Golf Club up to Joyce's and along the Barna road is a 'Yes'.

That's the Kingston Road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

It's also Knocknacarra since it's too far out to be considered Salthill and Knocknacarra road is right in the middle of it.

The Kingston Road is, well, a road, not a suburb.

Here is the area of which I speak:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=ie&ei=2ayCSpuVIMbP-QaO8ZmsCg&msa=0&ll=53.265829,-9.109125&spn=0.024846,0.077162&z=14&msid=101278262933029140721.000470f07c42b7b7c8fbd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Svalbard wrote: »
    The Kingston Road is, well, a road, not a suburb.

In a funny way, you're probably right, not that it matters in the context of this map. Kingston Road is a relatively new name anyway - it didn't exist until about 30 - 35 years ago. Until then, Taylor's Hill stretched as far as Knocknacarra Cross. Old maps in the early 1800s show what's now Kingston Road as being called Circular Road, which of course is now a road in a completely different place.

Advertisement