Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

29 years since the hotel fire in Bundoran.

Options
  • 08-08-2009 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭

Hi,

today is 29 years since the hotel fire in Bundoran - I lost my best childhood friend there who died along with the rest of her family. I just wanted to mark it in some way. Sorry, words still fail me over this. Mods, I hope that this is OK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Cant believe it been that long, remember it well, was there just a couple of days before, I can remember reading graphic details of it in the democrat, probably after the inquest, i think. R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Very sad OP - something you never get over. Another one of those things that make you wonder what it's all about. But it's good to mark the memory :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I remember my dad point out a shop sign a couple of doors up from the hotel that still had burnt edges, it was there up-until a few years ago, but that was the only reminder of the fire for years. At that time we were living in Ballyshannon (although i was only a wee nipper) the sky was lit up for miles in all directions.
    Sad that the stardust fire the next year really over shadowed the central hotel fire and there was never a proper investigation or report.

Link contains pic's and more information.
    http://www.bundoranfirebrigade.com/1980_hotel_fire.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Thanks everyone for your posts. My friend was Deirdre Brennan, the 6 year old girl who died with the rest of her family. My parents would not let me go to the funeral because they felt that I was too young at 6 to go though I will remember seeing her little white coffin all the days of my life. I recently found out where she is buried and am hoping to have the courage to see it soon - I have visited Bundoran twice and put a rose into the sea at the back of the hotel on one of the anniversaries...it was very moving. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Bundoran has been famous for many events down the the years and sadly this one that we would have wished had never happened.

But its still nice for people to think of and remember those who tragically died after all those years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I remember this and it's hard to believe that it has been 29 years. I echo all the sentiments already expressed here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

R.I.P.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

My Dad was a Guard on duty in the aftermath of it.

Remember driving past it a day or 2 after.

RIP.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement