Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A downside of having an Ikea at the end of the M50

• 08-08-2009 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭

Drove the M-fiddy(M50) today and i spotted at least 5 cars towing trailers that had no place or business doing 60kmph (roadworks) let alone the 100kmph on the finished stretches of the M50,i seen ones with no rear lights or signals,light boards that didn't work and one was falling asunder!

Edit: i edited this post as i...

1.Neglected to point out that when i mention the M-fiddy,i am in fact referring to the M50.

2.Neglected to place the word 'or' between place and business,it was so mysterious and cryptic of me i admit!

3.Hope it might be more readable.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I thought trailers werent allowed on the M50? probably wrong tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

R_H_C_P wrote: »

No since it is officially classed as a Motorway (in name only),L drivers also aren't allowed on it,but this is Ireland.

Of course i have no proof they were all headed to Ikea but i don't ever recall seeing a trailer being towed on it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The sign on the left shows that the following must not enter a motorway:

* people who do not hold a full driving licence for the category of vehicle they drive,
    * vehicles incapable of a speed of at least 50 km/h,
    * vehicles with an engine capacity of 50cc. or less,
    * people driving on "L" plates,
    * invalid-carriages,
    * vehicles that do not use inflated tyres,
    * cyclists,
    * pedestrians, and
    * animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Sorry now lads, but are you for real? :rolleyes:

You can tow a trailer on any road in the country as long as you're not exceeding weight limits etc.

There's also all sorts of different requirements for lighting depending on the trailer size and more.... This isn't a one size fits all situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Tossy, your posts are unreadable, and your response to the second post doesn't seem to be relevant.

Anyway, to nip any barstool traffic law experts, cars are allowed to tow trailers on the motorway, however they aren't allowed in the overtaking lane unless the speed limit is 80km/h or less.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/motorways/on-the-motorway.html

Honestly guys, you have the whole internet to check your facts before you post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    So all those articulated trucks heading to and from Dublin Port are operating illegally??

There are no access restrictions to towing trailers on a motorway.

I know you can tow a trailer,but when the trailer isn't fit for the speeds or towing its a different ball game.

The 5 series with the trailer tail gate "held on" with that blue washing line style rope with the light board that didn't work for example?

You could put your hat on it that in any other European country you wouldn't get 30miles down a m-way without getting pulled for that,i'd wager you could drive the length of the M-50 all day and not get done.

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    You can tow a trailer on any road in the country as long as you're not exceeding weight limits etc
    ...but not for those with a Learner Permit for the towing vehicle (except category W).

Tossy, your posts are unreadable, and your response to the second post doesn't seem to be relevant.

Anyway, to nip any barstool traffic law experts, cars are allowed to tow trailers on the motorway, however they aren't allowed in the overtaking lane unless the speed limit is 80km/h or less.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/motorways/on-the-motorway.html

Honestly guys, you have the whole internet to check your facts before you post.

Original post edited for your viewing pleasure Jessica Shaggy Leprechaun,hope that is more clear now? me and my typing skills - it will be the death of me yet l o l :D

How is my second post irrelevant?

I pointed out that these days the M50 is a motorway in name only,not in actual practice and that if there is no deterrent for L drivers to drive on it,then why should a person with a dodgy trailer fear any repercussions?

Also i think it is pretty clear my problem isn't with trailers being towed on the M50 but trailers that are not roadworthy being towed on the M50,it was merely an observation,i didn't feel it warranted me googling the Rules of the Road as i know these trailers were illegal,and the associate rise in there presence was most likely down to Ikea.

:rolleyes:

tossy wrote: »
    my problem isn't with trailers being towed on the M50 but trailers that are not roadworthy being towed on the M50
    You've no problem with unroadworthy trailers on non-motorway roads?

• Advertisement

You've no problem with unroadworthy trailers on non-motorway roads?

I have every problem with it,this thread was started about my observations on the M50 today.So the subject matter is the M50 and trailers that are not road worthy.Today i didn't see any dodgy trailers being towed anywhere but the M50,now i'm sure those trailer owners don't live on the M50 and would presumably have to have towed those trailers along "non-motorway" roads to get onto the M50,how they sleep at night i'll never know! How am i going to sleep tonight? How will i survive until Monday lunch time and Joe Duffy is back? :D

how they sleep at night i'll never know! How am i going to sleep tonight? How will i survive until Monday lunch time and Joe Duffy is back? :D
    :D

There is a major dump near me which is now closed. Before it closed, on every Saturday morning, the road to it would have loads of cars towing very dodgy trailers filled with attic clearouts/garden waste/general rubbish. The trailers were bad enough but they were so poorly loaded that any car following would have to keep ducking and diving to avoid all the crap that was falling from the trailers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

good ol ballealy. i saw a trailer heading over the railway bridge. it was a pretty hi tec trailer as it unloaded itself!!

Martron wrote: »
    good ol ballealy
    Ballealy indeed! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

Original post edited for your viewing pleasure Truckle,hope that is more clear now? me and my typing skills - it will be the death of me yet l o l :D

How is my second post irrelevant?

I pointed out that these days the M50 is a motorway in name only,not in actual practice and that if there is no deterrent for L drivers to drive on it,then why should a person with a dodgy trailer fear any repercussions?

Also i think it is pretty clear my problem isn't with trailers being towed on the M50 but trailers that are not roadworthy being towed on the M50,it was merely an observation,i didn't feel it warranted me googling the Rules of the Road as i know these trailers were illegal,and the associate rise in there presence was most likely down to Ikea.

:rolleyes:

i don't understand why you are so bothered by the condition of someone elses trailer? there is the odd person with a dodgy trailer but just keep back from it mang, if you think the trailer is dodgy just be careful. i'm sure a lot of those trailers only look dodgy but there is nothing wrong with them.

if i had a trailer i'd put some bailer twine around it to make it look like thats holding the tailgate up so the lad with the shiny Audi A4 keeps his distance, for once. who are you to judge the roadworthiness of someone elses trailer without even a close-up inspection?

whats your beef with L drivers on the motorway anyway? I know its not allowed but it's fairly silly - only after you pass your test do you get to drive on a completely different type of road you have never seen before. learning to drive should include driving on all the different kinds of roads but someone out there making De Law thought different.

what is your proposed solution anyway? More government regulations? a new NCT just for trailers? maybe those people you are complaining about did get pulled over on the way home?

trailers spend their days out in the wet and they are rarely used. you can't really blame people for not keeping them in tipp top condition. if you see a trailer that looks like crap is going to fall off it just keep back a good bit so you have plenty of time to stop. but i doubt anyone is crazy enough to load their brand new flat-pack cheap and cheerful throw-away-when-you-move-house furniture in such a way that it will fall off their trailer

nah, if you're shopping at Ikea every last cent matters, **** it their trailer might look like an old piece of crap but i'd say they oiled the tow ball before leaving to improve their fuel efficiency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Dankoozy wrote: »
    i don't understand why you are so bothered by the condition of someone elses trailer? there is the odd person with a dodgy trailer but just keep back from it mang, if you think the trailer is dodgy just be careful. i'm sure a lot of those trailers only look dodgy but there is nothing wrong with them.

if i had a trailer i'd put some bailer twine around it to make it look like thats holding the tailgate up so the lad with the shiny Audi A4 keeps his distance, for once. who are you to judge the roadworthiness of someone elses trailer without even a close-up inspection?

whats your beef with L drivers on the motorway anyway? I know its not allowed but it's fairly silly - only after you pass your test do you get to drive on a completely different type of road you have never seen before. learning to drive should include driving on all the different kinds of roads but someone out there making De Law thought different.

what is your proposed solution anyway? More government regulations? a new NCT just for trailers? maybe those people you are complaining about did get pulled over on the way home?

trailers spend their days out in the wet and they are rarely used. you can't really blame people for not keeping them in tipp top condition. if you see a trailer that looks like crap is going to fall off it just keep back a good bit so you have plenty of time to stop. but i doubt anyone is crazy enough to load their brand new flat-pack cheap and cheerful throw-away-when-you-move-house furniture in such a way that it will fall off their trailer

nah, if you're shopping at Ikea every last cent matters, **** it their trailer might look like an old piece of crap but i'd say they oiled the tow ball before leaving to improve their fuel efficiency

has everyone on motors gone mad? so if you see somthing wrong (illegal) such as a dodgy trailer you should stay away from it? i dont think bailer twine is a permanent fix for a problem! it dosent matter what car is behind you its your responsibity it the trailer is dodgy
    i slightly agree with you on the learner drivers on a motorway,without going near one your qualified to drive on it once you passed your test,
    but learner drivers are not supposed to be on the motorway by law! so it shouldnt be an issue,

so everyone if you see something illegal just be careful:rolleyes:

bladebrew wrote: »
    has everyone on motors gone mad? so if you see somthing wrong (illegal) such as a dodgy trailer you should stay away from it? i dont think bailer twine is a permanent fix for a problem! it dosent matter what car is behind you its your responsibity it the trailer is dodgy
    i slightly agree with you on the learner drivers on a motorway,without going near one your qualified to drive on it once you passed your test,
    but learner drivers are not supposed to be on the motorway by law! so it shouldnt be an issue,

so everyone if you see something illegal just be careful:rolleyes:

it being illegal or not is no good to you when you're dead or in hospital due to a crash. saying the guy did something illegal might get you a nice payout in court but it won't heal your broken bones. so of course you should bloody well stay away from it

at the end of the day the law is just something written on paper by politicians and their advisors, i don't understand these 'law and order' types you see around the place these days (Most of them are from Dublin) they have this grandiose vision of how all of society should be regulated by the government and actually believe life will be better after every little detail has a law covering it.

as long as there are trailers there are going to be dodgy ones, no amount of law and regulation will change that unless you want to live in a society where every car before it goes on a journey is inspected for its structural integrity by some robotic overlord before being let onto the road. i sure don't, i'd rather stay an extra 50m behind the dodgy trailer so i have time to stop

do you really care if a learner is on the motorway? if he doesn't **** up i sure don't.

it being illegal or not is no good to you when you're dead or in hospital due to a crash. saying the guy did something illegal might get you a nice payout in court but it won't heal your broken bones. so of course you should bloody well stay away from it

at the end of the day the law is just something written on paper by politicians and their advisors, i don't understand these 'law and order' types you see around the place these days (Most of them are from Dublin) they have this grandiose vision of how all of society should be regulated by the government and actually believe life will be better after every little detail has a law covering it.

as long as there are trailers there are going to be dodgy ones, no amount of law and regulation will change that unless you want to live in a society where every car before it goes on a journey is inspected for its structural integrity by some robotic overlord before being let onto the road. i sure don't, i'd rather stay an extra 50m behind the dodgy trailer so i have time to stop

do you really care if a learner is on the motorway? if he doesn't **** up i sure don't.

robotic overlord:confused: theres no point in replying

bladebrew wrote: »
    robotic overlord:confused: theres no point in replying

then why did you bother?

then why did you bother?

:confused:

• Advertisement

who are you to judge the roadworthiness of someone elses trailer without even a close-up inspection?

A trailer large enough to block the cars rear lights with no working lights of its own is not road worthy,that is not rocket science.
    whats your beef with L drivers on the motorway anyway?

Where did i state i had a beef with L drivers on the motorway? i don't i drove on the motorway as an L driver myself - unaccompanied too!

I merely brought the L driver on the motorways as an example,it is against the law but you rarely see any prosecutions,so why should someone with a dodgy trailer worry about driving on the motorway? my point being the highway/motorway/traffic police in this country are woefully inadequate/understaffed/underfunded so your chances of getting caught are slim.

Now.... I'm on night shift getting paid to surf here and kill the time,whats your excuse? those were some mammoth,meandering replies :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

,so why should someone with a dodgy trailer worry about driving on the motorway? my point being the highway/motorway/traffic police in this country are woefully inadequate/understaffed/underfunded so your chances of getting caught are slim.

I'd say the fact that most of these aren't licenced or insured correctly would be a major worry also.

But don't forget that a dodgy trailer which is overloaded and badly secured is OK, as SPEED kills.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

couldn't get - what's relation with IKEA ?are gonna to blame them whatever happens ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So where should they have placed IKEA - up a boreen in the country somewhere or on a housing estate ???

Surely just off the M50 makes it accessible for millions and relatively easy to get on your way. The dodgy trailers would be a problem where ever IKEA was located

Yawn fest 3000 :D

Advertisement