Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daniel Jarque, Espanyol captain, dies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

:( Sad to hear such terrible news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

RIP - never good to see this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

None of the english language sites running with this yet...would dearly love it not to be true and just Marca jumping the gun.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jesus christ! Seems completely out of the blue! He played just the other night against Pool!

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Holy God!

RIP Daniel :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Nunu wrote: »
    None of the english language sites running with this yet...would dearly love it not to be true and just Marca jumping the gun.:(

Just seen a minutes silence for him in the Valencia v Arsenal game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Terrible to see something like this happen.

RIP.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Holy :( R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It really is time to start screening top level professional for heart defects and problems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Go gcoinní Dia i mbosa a láimhe thú

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

On the BBC now:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8191861.stm

That Espanyol statement is heart wrenching, I can't believe this kinda thing.
    Espanyol stunned by Jarque death

Espanyol captain Daniel Jarque has died after he suffered a heart attack following a training session, the club have confirmed in a statement.

The 26-year-old midfielder had been training in Coverciano, Italy, where the squad are on a pre-season camp.

Club doctors and Italian paramedics tried to revive Jarque without success.

His death comes two years after Sevilla defender Antonio Puerta, 22, died of heart failure after collapsing during a Spanish league game.

Jarque joined Espanyol at the age of 12, making his debut in 2002, and the Spaniard was handed the club captaincy this summer.

"Tragedy struck Espanyol and the family of Dani Jarque this evening. The blanquiazul player died from a cardiac arrest," said a club statement.

"The doctor carried out CPR on the player and used a defibrillator, which showed that the arrest was non responsive.

"RCD Espanyol, broken with pain, wish to put themselves at the absolute disposition of the family of our captain Dani Jarque, to whom go our warmest thoughts."

Espanyol, who had been due to play Bologna tomorrow, have suspended their pre-season tour of Italy and will fly back to Barcelona.

The president of city neighbours Barcelona, Joan Laporta, offered his club's condolences.

"We are filled with extreme dismay at this tragic event which we deeply regret," he told the Barcelona club website.

"Today we are all in mourning.

"I want to send, on behalf of FC Barcelona, our deepest sympathies to RCD Espanyol for the painful loss of their captain Dani Jarque, and to his family."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Jesus that's sad. It hasn't even been that long since Puerta died. Thts the saddest thing in Football this summer :(

R.I.P Jarque

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭wanabe

RIP. Tragedy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

RIP our thoughts are with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Something needs to be done with this. It's happening more and more these days, whether it's to do with increased training or not, i dont know. But there has to be an investigation into it.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

monkey9 wrote: »
    Something needs to be done with this. It's happening more and more these days, whether it's to do with increased training or not, i dont know. But there has to be an investigation into it.

RIP

+1

May he rest in peace, thoughts and prayers with his family at this awful time for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think I read that a few of the footballers that had died had been only recently back from injury and on some sort of medication. I don't know if this was the case with Jarque but as others have said some serious investigation is needed.

RIP

RIP

You would wonder if heat has something to do with it,all these deaths seem to be in hot climates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

My dad just told me this. This is seriously messed up though. My family were in Barcelona for the past two weeks on holidays and they got to the Espanyol v Liverpool. He's in some of their pics!! Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

So sad, my thoughts are with his family. Rest in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Absolutely terrible news.

Surely now there should be more rigorous checks for heart defects in players

My heart goes out to his family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nunu wrote: »

What the **** is it with people and the Marca hate? Whatever about their standards regarding transfer gossip (and they aren't too far off UK tabloid standards in that respect), there would be no way they would run this type of story without being sure about it.

Shocking story, and scary stuff at this stage. Expect UEFA / FIFA to make some moves regarding increased health screenings for players early next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What the **** is it with people and the Marca hate? Whatever about their standards regarding transfer gossip (and they aren't too far off UK tabloid standards in that respect), there would be no way they would run this type of story without being sure about it.

Bad reputation around messageboards for some reason, any time Marca or AS is mentioned it's shot down like a Liverpool fan would a Sun referance.

Shocking story, and scary stuff at this stage. Expect UEFA / FIFA to make some moves regarding increased health screenings for players early next week.

You do know this happens to at least a couple of GAA players in ireland each year?

It just doesnt get any coverage.
    Its heriditary and cannot be tested for.
    It just happens but I have a feeling the heat does not help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Jaysus that's terrible.:(
    RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Crazy that so many young, fit men have died in similar circumstances in recent years. Awful awful news.

• Advertisement

You do know this happens to at least a couple of GAA players in ireland each year?

Whether anything FIFA or UEFA could do or say would make a difference will not be the issue, they will pay lip-service to doing more in the interest of public relations.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Bad reputation around messageboards for some reason, any time Marca or AS is mentioned it's shot down like a Liverpool fan would a Sun referance.

Well it's a silly phenomenon imo.

Whether anything FIFA or UEFA could do or say would make a difference will not be the issue, they will pay lip-service to doing more in the interest of public relations.

They can pay all the lip service they want,the fact is they cannot test for it and it will happen again and again.

Its just a sad fact of life.

Its annoying that everyone incuding myself RIP's this thread and rightfully so but when it happens to people in our own country it gets no coverage.

Its annoying that everyone incuding myself RIP's this thread and rightfully so but when it happens to people in our own country it gets no coverage.

Do the media willfully ignore such incidents? Or is it that the GAA minimizes the story? Genuinely curious as to why we don't hear of such cases if they do indeed occur a couple of times a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Do the media willfully ignore such incidents? Or is it that the GAA minimizes the story? Genuinely curious as to why we don't hear of such cases if they do indeed occur a couple of times a year.

I don't think the GAA is any different to other sports when such events occur. I wouldn't go as far to say it gets no coverage, but as with any tragic event in general, the more well known the person, the more media coverage it gets. Sad, but a fact of life. The only real barometer you can use with the tragic death of a well known GAA player was Cormac McAnallen when he died a few years ago and it got huge coverage up and down the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

Very sad to hear.

RIP!

He's a couple of years younger than me & it just makes you feel like an idiot for worrying about sh*t that aint that important when you hear this sort of news!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

AFAIK it can be tested for but there's no guarentee it will show up when doing the test. Wasn't a similiar problem found with Simon Best during the rugby WC and he had to quit during it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

AFAIK it can be tested for but there's no guarentee it will show up when doing the test. Wasn't a similiar problem found with Simon Best during the rugby WC and he had to quit during it?

Lilian Thuram also ended his career prematurely after being diagnosed with a hereditary heart problem. His brother had died from the same condition.

RIP to Jarque

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Shocking, RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

RIP Daniel Jarque , poor bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

RIP - surprised I haven't heard more about this today. Maybe just haven't been watching the right channel or something.

Terrible news, especially seeing as he is the second spaniard to die of a heart attack in almost as many years. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Ugh, not again. Horrible.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I've been away the past few days and couldn't believe the news... Even as an F.C Barcelona supporter I see this as another modern tragedy in the sport. Daniel Jarque of Espanyol died of heart failure a few days ago. One of his ex team mates Sergio Sanchez opted to not play in the 2nd half of a pre season game when he heard the news.

Apparently he was on the phone to his wife/ girlfriend while on tour with Espanyol (they were in Florence) when he just suffered heart failure and died. The worst thing about it is that similar to Puerta's death a few years ago, he was also about to become a father in the coming months. It's becoming scary how athletes at such a high level are dying because of these phantom heart illnesses that don't seem to be getting diagnosed. Lillian Thuram is one of the lucky ones, and lets hope De La Red of Real Madrid can overcome his heart difficulties.

Jarque made nearly 200 appearances for Espanyol, and has also worn the captains armband. He was a pretty talented central defender, coming up through the youth system and was apparently watched by a few big clubs in Italy and England (I think Tottenham were linked with him in the past??).

Anyway, my condolences and wishes are with his wife and soon to be newborn child. Same goes to any Perico fans that happen to see this thread.

R.I.P Daniel....

danieljarquegettyim_599428a.jpg

Lets hope this does not become a regular occurrence..

Strange how one minute I was looking forward to the derby and watching Messi run rings around him, and now none of that seems even remotely important...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭chezzer

Even as an F.C Barcelona supporter ...

Do you even have to mention this !!!

of course it's a tragedy ... , it seems to happen 'a lot' since Mark Vivian Foe in 2003...

it never really happened before that , and now every year at least one athlete is dying ... happeneing with some GAA guys aswell..

Awesome article by Tim Stannard a few days ago.
    Tim Stannard

Monday 10 August 2009 14:00
    In 2007, Sevilla took on Espanyol in an all-Spanish UEFA Cup final in Glasgow. Two of those players who took part in that dramatic game have since been lost to the world of football.

Just under two years ago, Sevilla’s Antonio Puerta died in hospital days after collapsing on the pitch in the Andalusian side’s season opener against Getafe.

On Saturday evening, Espanyol captain Dani Jarque suddenly fell unconscious after suffering suspected heart problems.

At the time, he was talking to his girlfriend Jéssica from his hotel room in Florence, where the Espanyol squad were staying as part of a pre-season tour.

Frightened by what had happened to her partner, Jéssica called Jarque’s room-mate and best friend, Ferran Corominas, who alerted those at the hotel that there was a problem.

Despite attempts by the club’s doctor and an ambulance crew who rushed to his aid, Dani Jarque’s life could not be saved.

It should have been the best year in the personal and professional life of Espanyol’s number 21.

His girlfriend is due to give birth to their first child in three weeks time and he had just been made captain of the club.

What’s more he was to set to be leading his players through the upcoming campaign in their brand new stadium.

“Putting on the armband is a dream come true for me,” said Jarque when told by manager Pochettino that he would be taking over the role from Raúl Tamudo.

Local lad Jarque joined the Pericos at the age of 12 and made his top flight debut in 2002.

In his spell at the Barcelona-based side, the central defender won the Copa del Rey in 2006 and was a runner up in the 2007 UEFA Cup final against Sevilla.

His new responsibilities at Espanyol made many feel that an international call-up to Spain was due any day.

Instead, it will be promise unfulfilled for a player Tomas Guasch describes in AS as “kind, polite, a really great person. An exemplary kid and footballer.”

“I shared some great moments with him, when he showed his true quality,” said Fernando Torres.

Tributes have been pouring in from all over Spanish football throughout the weekend, with 50,000 fans going to gate 21 of Espanyol’s new home to light candles and leave messages.

As well as shock at the news in the Spanish press over the weekend and on Monday, there is a great deal of debate as to how such a tragedy can have happened once again.

How the game has lost another player at the peak of his powers to a heart condition.

“Jarque’s death must be the last,” is the demand from Marca who call for a full investigation from FIFA and UEFA.

A footballer who seemed to come terrifyingly close to suffering the same fate as Antonio Puerta and Dani Jarque is Rúben de la Red.

The Real Madrid midfielder collapsed on the pitch during a cup game in October of last year has been speaking about the sudden death of his footballing colleague.

“I guess he didn’t have the luck I had,” said De la Red who still doesn’t know if he will ever be able to play football again.

La Liga Loca was at the Vicente Calderón in May to see what turned out to be Jarque’s final goal for Espanyol.

As it happened, it wasn’t enough to prevent defeat on the day against Atlético Madrid, but his leadership and commitment helped get his club out of an extraordinarily tough spot last season and lead them out of the relegation zone.

But someone who has got to know Jarque a whole lot better than the blog is Paul from Barcelona, who must now spend next season watching his side battle on without their captain, who died on Saturday night at the age of just 26.

“I remember him making his debut at right-back and he did OK. Then he played occasionally as a defensive midfielder and he did OK. The move to centre-back made him.

"Tough-tackling, strong and a good reader of the game. He blossomed by working first with Lotina, then Valverde who turned him into a defender who was as good as the competition (Marchena, Puyol etc.).

"Loved by the fans for his attitude. If it wasn't for his occasional blood rush to the head by giving the ball away on the edge of the area he surely would have moved to a bigger club.

"Rumoured interest from Barça, Real Madrid, Liverpool and Spurs should have been followed up as he would have graced any of these teams with honour.

"From 13 until his sad death he was Espanyol through and through and his being made captain was the highlight.

"He will be a massive loss to the team, especially his best friend Coro and defensive partner Pareja, who has taken his death particularly hard according to reports.

"Hopefully Espanyol will retire his number (21) and we will all pay our respects at the first home game of the season. R.I.P Dani Jarque.

P.S - a salute to Barça,Valencia and Sporting for their tributes and actions.”

Nice touch by Cesc today bringing on the shirt with Jarque on the back.

So awful when you think about a footballers who still had many good years ahead of him.

The fact his first kid was being born in 3 weeks is even worse... Awful really.

eZe^ wrote: »
    The fact his first kid was being born in 3 weeks is even worse... Awful really.

I didnt know that and tbh wish you hadnt said. Just awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

RIP

Thought Fabregas showed great class today with the honourary Arsenal jersey. Heartwarming stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement