Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man utd v Chelsea Fa community shield

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Anyone know if anywhere is showing highlights of the match tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You could say the same about any tackle though.

The fact is he went in hard and got the ball. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm not saying that he didn't get the ball. Play should have gone ahead and then when there was a break in play Chris Foy should've had a little word with Evra telling him to just relax a little bit.

I understand where the ref was coming from when stopping play but it was a fair tackle and maybe didn't deserve a booking. Just a stern talking to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just watching the highlights on UTV and I might have gotten it completely wrong but were the UTD fans making monkey noises as Drogba walked up for the peno? It cut from Carrick walkign away to Drogba walkign up. I thought I heard it as they showed the UtD fans then it cut from them. As I said, might be getting it wrong but thats what it sounded like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I just watched it there and certainly saw several people booing, didn't see any monkey business though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Dave! wrote: »
    I just watched it there and certainly saw several people booing, didn't see any monkey business though

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dave! wrote: »

Maybe thats what it was so, the booing.

Couldnt see any complaints bout Chelsea's 2nd either. Utd had the ball and were happy to play on. Only reason theres any mention is because they lost it and Chelsea went on to score. Sloppy passing was the cause, not the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

was it boo or boo-urns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The United players could simply have thought the ref was trying to give them advantage - which they clearly didn't get. Also, there were only 3 touches on the ball from United after the blatant and deliberate foul on Evra. Terrible reffing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Headshot wrote: »
    was it boo or boo-urns

simps_boourns.JPG

I was saying boo urns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

the ref was simply trying to regain control.

I think the tackle was good, but if he had let it go i could have seen a few equally tough tackles getting thrown in by Chelsea, then United again. By booking him, he calmed the situation down with regards to the tackling.

This is a bizarre statement, the ref's job is to make decision's, the tackle was either a foul or it wasn't

you don't book a player for making a good tackle to "calm" the game down.

if anything you're going to make people even more frustrated and annoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Boggles wrote: »
    Officially goes down as a draw. ;)
    Ah Boggles, that it does. But officially Man United lost and Chelsea won ;)

ntlbell wrote: »
    This is a bizarre statement, the ref's job is to make decision's, the tackle was either a foul or it wasn't

you don't book a player for making a good tackle to "calm" the game down.

if anything you're going to make people even more frustrated and annoyed.

The ref may have felt, with good reason, that Evra went in harder than he needed to in order to exact some revenge on ballack and make a point. If that was Evra's intent, regardless of getting the ball, the ref would probably be right to do something about it. Maybe a word in his ear after, when the ball has gone dead, but I can see why the ref might have decided to flash a rather meaningless yellow card at Evra in order to stamp down on revenge tackles for the rest of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

CHD wrote: »
    Ah Boggles, that it does. But officially Man United lost and Chelsea won ;)

How can it go down as a draw and a loss?

The match was drawn, Chelsea took home that fancy dinner plate, thats all. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Was the Champions League final in Moscow a draw aswell, with United taking home the glorified pint glass? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Ok i will try again, Officially its a draw, officially we both scored twice. Officially Giggs and Evra missed their penalties, Officially Cech saved two, Officially Chelsea got the trophy.

IMO Officially its a victory to Chelsea then and officially Man United lost.

;)

Been a while let us have this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ah, we won the shoot-out that mattered :)

I tell ya, United need to sort out their penalty policy, we desperately need to stop letting defenders take them, I've no idea why we do it.

As for the whole ref thing, I think Chelsea were right to play on. I think the ref was right to let them play on, assuming he thinks it wasnt a foul [although i've no idea how he couldn't think it was a foul]. But be bloody consistant and let us play on 5 minutes earlier when Ballack was down, not holding his head at all. Just bull**** inconsistancy that bugs the hell out of me.

I thought we played ok, and were very foor for the first 30 minutes in attack, very encouraging. Excited about next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Losing it in normal time feels more like a loss to me. I see the game as a draw now. The CS doesn't mean much to me - i'd like United to have won it obviously but i don't particularly care that we did not. If we lost it in normal time it would have had more of the appearance of us not being as good as chelsea, the fact we held them in normal gives the appearance it was an even game.

doesnt mean much?well when united do win it their fans always mention it as one of the 'meaningful' trophys theyve won that year,such as the world club cup also:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

anplaya wrote: »
    doesnt mean much?well when united do win it their fans always mention it as one of the 'meaningful' trophys theyve won that year,such as the world club cup also:rolleyes:

Its not even a trophy, its a shield ffs

Archimedes wrote: »
    Its not even a trophy, its a shield ffs

oops yeah ,thanks for correcting me.:rolleyes:

They don't. we mention it as a trophy - we don't mention it as a meaningful one.

• Advertisement

They don't. we mention it as a trophy - we don't mention it as a meaningful one.

yeah sure,i hear it every time they win it.start of game yday- lads in pub were like ah first ones in the bag etc,when game was over ah sure it means nothing.tell yerselves that before the game kicks off then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

yeah sure,i hear it every time they win it.start of game yday- lads in pub were like ah first ones in the bag etc,when game was over ah sure it means nothing.tell yerselves that before the game kicks off then.

Aye that wrecks my head. I heard it from a load of United fans after the game. And the whole "we would have won if they hadn't been so selfish and scored that goal when Evra got checked by Ballack".

FFS

So what you are doing is taking a bit of banter as serious comment. Right. Fair play to you.

Of course we hold the Community Shield and World Club Cup right up there with the Premier League and Champions League. We all hold it at the same level. Of course. Honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

PHB wrote: »
    Ah, we won the shoot-out that mattered :)

I tell ya, United need to sort out their penalty policy, we desperately need to stop letting defenders take them, I've no idea why we do it.

Completely agree. I was baffled when I saw Evra walk up, obvious he would miss, but he exceeded my expectations by producing the most pathetic penalty of all time. It was like that Father Ted episode featuring the over 75's priest 5 a side penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

So what you are doing is taking a bit of banter as serious comment. Right. Fair play to you.

Of course we hold the Community Shield and World Club Cup right up there with the Premier League and Champions League. We all hold it at the same level. Of course. Honest.

Personally the CS is the highlight of my season. I mean it's nice to win the league but it really dwarfs in comparison to the prestige gained from a CS win. Gutted we lost...

banter ?i wouldnt call it that,id call it spouting ****e.just like any united since 1992-1993 supporter. nothing as sweet as the sound of a room full of united fans quiet as anything at the end of a match after all their bull**** before the game.listening to them before the game youd swear they hold the charity shield and the world club champ up there with the prem league and champs league.honest;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Watched the highlights on ITV, a tad better than watching it on a stream. It's clear that Evra stepped on Ballack leading to the beginning of the argy bargy, though it's not like Ballack to need a reason to begin with. Then when Evra gets checked by Ballack, he puts his forearm against his chest. Evra goes down clutching his face, the ref seen all of this and obviously did not award a free kick because it was a dive by Evra. Furthermore, Rooney and Carrick both had opportunities to kick the ball out but continued to attack. Only complaining when they lost possession. So there should be no controversy about Chelsea's second goal.

banter ?i wouldnt call it that,id call it spouting ****e.just like any united since 1992-1993 supporter. nothing as sweet as the sound of a room full of united fans quiet as anything at the end of a match after all their bull**** before the game.listening to them before the game youd swear they hold the charity shield and the world club champ up there with the prem league and champs league.honest;)

I'd say you are just far too aggressive when it comes to this type of thing and can't step back from the tribal nature of the game, and enjoy a bit of banter. Relax. If you honestly think any United fan holds the CS in any sort of esteem you are seriously deluded, much like any ABU.

Sure, we'd prefer to win it than lose it, but i'd prefer to lose to Chelsea in the CS and beat them in the League, Carling Cup, FA Cup or Champions League.

As a matter of interest, who do you support, and since when? And yeah, it is relevant as you generalised about, and insulted, any United fan who started supporting them in the last 17/18 years.

Watched the highlights on ITV, a tad better than watching it on a stream. It's clear that Evra stepped on Ballack leading to the beginning of the argy bargy, though it's not like Ballack to need a reason to begin with. Then when Evra gets checked by Ballack, he puts his forearm against his chest. Evra goes down clutching his face, the ref seen all of this and obviously did not award a free kick because it was a dive by Evra. Furthermore, Rooney and Carrick both had opportunities to kick the ball out but continued to attack. Only complaining when they lost possession. So there should be no controversy about Chelsea's second goal.
    So, basically what you are saying is this:

The ref felt Evra dived, and rather than award Chelsea a free, he allowed United to continue their attack?

Rooney wasn't looking at Evra when he went down, and whether Carrick saw him either is something we don't know - there were only a few seconds between Rooney getting the ball and Carrick losing it. Also, if United felt it was a foul, they would have every right to expect it to be called back when they clearly gained no advantage (after just a couple of seconds)

• Advertisement

ah i do,i enjoy the banter as much as any1,sometimes it gets a bit too much.
    thats not an insult to any united fan its just the guys that jumped on the bandwagon that grinds my gears,and theyre the guys that spout the ****e the loudest.im not even a united fan but ive prob watched about 40 games involvin them last year as all me mates are,id even go as far to say i prob know more about the team than some of those so called 'fans' that do actually support them.me?im unbiased.

ah i do,i enjoy the banter as much as any1,sometimes it gets a bit too much.
    thats not an insult to any united fan its just the guys that jumped on the bandwagon that grinds my gears,and theyre the guys that spout the ****e the loudest.im not even a united fan but ive prob watched about 40 games involvin them last year as all me mates are,id even go as far to say i prob know more about the team than some of those so called 'fans' that do actually support them.me?im unbiased.

Yeah - i read your posts and thought to myself "There is an unbiased fan when it comes to United", especially where you said there is nothing better than a pub full of quiet United fans. Unbiased, yep. I'm unbiased when it comes to Liverpool by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

So, basically what you are saying is this:

The ref felt Evra dived, and rather than award Chelsea a free, he allowed United to continue their attack?

Rooney wasn't looking at Evra when he went down, and whether Carrick saw him either is something we don't know - there were only a few seconds between Rooney getting the ball and Carrick losing it. Also, if United felt it was a foul, they would have every right to expect it to be called back when they clearly gained no advantage (after just a couple of seconds)

It was much ado about nothing so he awarded nothing, let play continue.

Rooney wasn't looking at Evra, but I'm sure he could hear all the boos etc from the fans that thought it was a foul and Carrick was facing him. And split second reactions is what football is all about. Plus they knew Berba was off getting treatment so it wasn't too sensible to continue but they did :p

Yeah - i read your posts and thought to myself "There is an unbiased fan when it comes to United", especially where you said there is nothing better than a pub full of quiet United fans. Unbiased, yep. I'm unbiased when it comes to Liverpool by the way.

are you?thats good.nah id be the same whether they were chelsea,arsenal,liverpool,man city, or blackpool.tis the football that matters,its the bull**** that grinds my gears.i enjoy watchin united play by the way,thought they had the game in the bag by halftime.

Advertisement