Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man utd v Chelsea Fa community shield

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

allybhoy wrote: »
    I would have said the opposite, loosing in 90 mins at least utd could have used the ref as an excuse and had that injustice going forward and use it to fuel the next game against Chelski, now they dont and Evra and Co will always have those poor peno's in the back of their minds next time they step up to take one.

penalty shoot outs don't happen in 98% of games. never happens in the league.

losing in 90mins to chelsea is far worse for the morale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

PIG is easier:D

Never actually got why United fans call him PIG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

allybhoy wrote: »
    I would have said the opposite, loosing in 90 mins at least utd could have used the ref as an excuse and had that injustice going forward and use it to fuel the next game against Chelski, now they dont and Evra and Co will always have those poor peno's in the back of their minds next time they step up to take one.

Really? You don't think they'll be told they'd have won it 2-1 if chelsea hadn't got the second goal. You think they won't be told that penalties are a lotto and that they deserved better than they got?

That_Guy wrote: »

He is Polish, and plays in goal.

Pole in Goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Pole In Goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

What a disgusting sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

We're all racist

He is Polish, and plays in goal.

Pole in Goal.

Cheers for that.

Really? You don't think they'll be told they'd have won it 2-1 if chelsea hadn't got the second goal. You think they won't be told that penalties are a lotto and that they deserved better than they got?

agree with the sentiment.

the part in bold would be a downright lie though. i'd hope fergie wouldn't insult their intelligence with that line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Have you ever missed a peno in a shootout in a final?
    I have....plays on my mind every time I go up take one and it was 6 years ago :mad:

Anyways look were splitting hairs, doesnt matter a shoite.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    agree with the sentiment.

the part in bold would be a downright lie though. i'd hope fergie wouldn't insult their intelligence with that line.

I'd be surprised if he didn't to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Foster had a terrible game, but I hope he plays next Sunday, let him make up for it if he continues with the howlers against Birmingham then you can bring in PIG.

Never seen the first half, what were we like?

Great to see Rooney getting on the scoresheet again, excellent finish.

Fair played to Chelsea, were terrific in the second half and penalties were top top class.

I'd be surprised if he didn't to be honest.

neither would i.

i'm just pointing out it would be a lie though!

Didn't Sky just take an ad break? Grr.

Smegball wrote: »
    Foster had a terrible game, but I hope he plays next Sunday, let him make up for it if he continues with the howlers against Birmingham then you can bring in PIG.

Never seen the first half, what were we like?

Great to see Rooney getting on the scoresheet again, excellent finish.

Fair played to Chelsea, were terrific in the second half and penalties were top top class.

United bossed the game for about 35 minutes or so in the first half. Very sharp and were at times carving Chelsea's defence apart. Chelsea eventually came back into it and began playing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Not overly bothered about the penalties, happy to have gotten the draw in 90 minutes, all things considered I think it was a fair outcome. Looking forward to the real thing next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Firstly don't give a toss about the result. Thought we played well and am happy with a good runout. We look sharp and I really am confident we can start the season well.

Any news on Nani's injury?

The ref should have stopped the game when Ballack checked Evra. A precedent was set in the game by the ref when he stopped for both Nani and Ballack previous. By the way, Ballack checking Evra seemed to me as payback for when Ballack was down himself (Ballack had a word with Evra when he got up and gestured that he did something - he got up straight away incidently!)

Nani's first half performance was positive. He looked really dangerous and them bringing on Bosingwa was something to do with this too.

Foster just needs to get a run of games, no point in taking him out now. Let him get his confidence up and he'll show what a good keeper he is.

Our penalties were total ****e though, hate penalty shootouts.

**** it, we played well and I am confident that we'll do well again this season.

Just seen a slow motion replay of Ballack's body check on Evra.

9 times out of 10 the ref would've blown for a foul. Chris Foy was looking right at the incident.

As for the whole players putting it out I don't think they should. Until the whistle goes keep playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Rooney had the ball after the ballack check though. He played a bad pass and lost the ball. Why didn't rooney play it out of play himself? They only complained when they lost posession. If he sticks it in the back of the net is it any different? Can't have it both ways.

Having said that, the referee should have seen the foul, blown up for a free kick and booked ballack. It was a professional foul, a bad body check and should've been caught by the ref. Piss poor penalty by evra though. I called it to the room when I saw him place the ball down. Ya could tell he was going to bottle it and barely tap it.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Rooney had the ball after the ballack check though. He played a bad pass and lost the ball. Why didn't rooney play it out of play himself? They only complained when they lost posession. If he sticks it in the back of the net is it any different? Can't have it both ways.

Having said that, the referee should have seen the foul, blown up for a free kick and booked ballack. It was a professional foul, a bad body check and should've been caught by the ref.

Rooney had his back to it when it happened? You do know people don't actually have eyes in the back of their head, right?

Ref should have called it back from the foul - United had gained no advantage.

The question that people should really be asking is why didn't the ref blow for a free kick after seeing that blatant check by Ballack on Evra? He was looking right at the incident and let play continue immediately. I suppose maybe if Rooney hadn't got the ball after Evra was impeded the ref would have blown for a free.

The ref tried to play advantage, United lost it, Chelsea scored.

Ah my brain. Ballack should really have been booked though later on when things had calmed down somewhat for his elbow on Evra.

Oh yeah I meant to ask.

Do the yellow cards picked up count?

Evra got booked for what was a perfectly clean tackle. Better not count towards his 5 for a suspension.

Carvallho brought down Owen with a cynical foul and wasnt booked.

Not happy at all with the ref. Good job the game counts for nothing.

The question that people should really be asking is why didn't the ref blow for a free kick after seeing that blatant check by Ballack on Evra? He was looking right at the incident and let play continue immediately. I suppose maybe if Rooney hadn't got the ball after Evra was impeded the ref would have blown for a free.

The ref tried to play advantage, United lost it, Chelsea scored.

Ah my brain. Ballack should really have been booked though later on when things had calmed down somewhat for his elbow on Evra.

Yeah - he may have tried to play advantage, but United got none. they lost the ball within two touches. it should have been brought back.

I'd love to see ballack end up with a three game bad for violent conduct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Oh yeah I meant to ask.

Nope, they go on record but don't count towards the totting up process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

I didn't see this discussed, so thought i would ask you lads: I was watching the game online, and their was no english commentary, I just wanted to see why Deco wasnt allowed take the peno, and Kalou had to come up and do it? Was he not recorded as being brought on off the bench?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Oh yeah I meant to ask.

Evra got booked for what was a perfectly clean tackle. Better not count towards his 5 for a suspension.

Carvallho brought down Owen with a cynical foul and wasnt booked.

Not happy at all with the ref. Good job the game counts for nothing.
    lol. Evra deserved the yellow. You go in with intent to hurt someone then you get booked.

CHD wrote: »
    lol. Evra deserved the yellow. You go in with intent to hurt someone then you get booked.

'lol'

Took the ball cleanly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

I didn't see this discussed, so thought i would ask you lads: I was watching the game online, and their was no english commentary, I just wanted to see why Deco wasnt allowed take the peno, and Kalou had to come up and do it? Was he not recorded as being brought on off the bench?

It was the order of penalty takers, Kalou was ahead of him. Foy stuck the order, fastidiously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

That was never a foul, let alone a yellow

Yeah - he may have tried to play advantage, but United got none. they lost the ball within two touches. it should have been brought back.

I'd love to see ballack end up with a three game bad for violent conduct.

Just watching the replay again of the incident. Rooney was facing Ballack and Evra and when it happened he continued to play on having seen the incident and made no gesture to the referee to stop the play. Only after they lost possession did he want the game to be stopped.

It was a stupid check by Ballack and I hate seeing incidents like that in the game.

• Advertisement

'lol'

Took the ball cleanly.
    He lunged in, it was a foul and when you go in to hurt someone you deserve to get booked.

He wanted to hurt him and got what he deserved.

He lunged in, it was a foul and when you go in to hurt someone you deserve to get booked.

I saw it as a tackle where he took the ball. He took the man in the process too but thats part of the tackle. Its an art in itself and imo it was prefectly executed.

But, as it doesnt count towards his tally of yellows I dont really care. Just another referee mistake.

I saw it as a tackle where he took the ball. He took the man in the process too but thats part of the tackle. Its an art in itself and imo it was prefectly executed.

But, as it doesnt count towards his tally of yellows I dont really care. Just another referee mistake.
    Wasn't a mistake. Your just annoyed because you's have lost in the final of this historic and prestigious event :pac:

Even if it did count you start fresh at the beginning of the season when it comes to cards dont you? Anyone know?

It was frustration on Evra's part as Chelsea were passing the ball around nicely and nobody was closing anyone down.

It was a good tackle but the way he went about it was all wrong. He may not have wanted to really injure him but it could have very easily ended up as a serious injury for Ballack.

Exactly, so he should be booked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

He may not have wanted to really injure him but it could have very easily ended up as a serious injury for Ballack.

You could say the same about any tackle though.

The fact is he went in hard and got the ball. Nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You could say the same about any tackle though.

The fact is he went in hard and got the ball. Nothing wrong with that.

exactly brown does it all time and never gets a yellow when he gets the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Very dissapointed as a Chelsea fan

I didn't see any link up play between Drogba and Anelka.
    I was also upset to see Essien being shifted back to DM, I hope he figures out how to make his new position his own, and that Mikel can step up to the plate.

It was a fun-ish game though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Disappointed to lose (ya want to win every game), but really happy with the performance, and feeling alot more confident about this season !

Foster had a mare, I've not been convinced by him at all tbh, but I'm hoping this season to see what Fergie sees in him. At this point I'm happier to see Cusack in goal than Foster :(

Overall the team looked well practised, well rehearsed, and well cohered. The preseason was really helpful as far as getting everyone on the same wavelength is concerned. People spotting each others runs, anticipating passes, etc. There were times when it went awry, but for the most part it looked good to me.

I'm happy out really :)

Headshot wrote: »
    exactly brown does it all time and never gets a yellow when he gets the ball

the ref was simply trying to regain control.

I think the tackle was good, but if he had let it go i could have seen a few equally tough tackles getting thrown in by Chelsea, then United again. By booking him, he calmed the situation down with regards to the tackling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

right, the ballack incident was controversial not disputing that, which led to our second goal. i think united got their just rewards when they got their 2nd. it was a fairly 50-50 game in all honesty, it went straight to penalties, we won on penalties.game over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Entertaining game. Some good play from both sides.

As for Foster, never really convinced me he has what it takes. I don't know why people let him off with a load of mistakes while they jump on the likes of Kuszczak if they do similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

papagormo wrote: »
    right, the ballack incident was controversial not disputing that, which led to our second goal. i think united got their just rewards when they got their 2nd. it was a fairly 50-50 game in all honesty, it went straight to penalties, we won.game over

Officially goes down as a draw. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

decent game.

can't wait for next week, think Ancellotis diamond formation lark is gonna take a while to bed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Mr Alan wrote: »
    decent game.

can't wait for next week, think Ancellotis diamond formation lark is gonna take a while to bed in.

It would take a miracle for them not to hammer Hull City though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Unearthly wrote: »

0-0 last year, and we know what Hull were like at the start of last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Boggles wrote: »

Who gets the sheild though? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Boggles wrote: »

wiki have us down as a win outright, same as united have won the shield outright 1993/97/03/07/08.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charity_Shield

Officially, we won 4-1 on penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Unearthly wrote: »

i didn't actually mean i thought they'd drop points next week, just meant i was looking forward to the start of the season, and that i thought they may drop points over their first few games while they get used to the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Don't care about the result but i'm very disappointed with the performance from United. Chelsea really struggled with the new formation today and looked sluggish and we should have capitalised on that. But instead we surrendered possession in the middle constantly and invited Chelsea back into the game. Too much of our attack relied on getting the ball to the front two as quickly as possible and hoping for the best- it's poor to be honest.

Foster looked dodgy as fook today but i think it would be best to stick with him for another game at least. Give him a chance to prove himself, or not, once and for all imo.

The back four, the front two and the wings all looked quite sharp for the start of the season I thought.

Carrick and Fletcher aren't good enough for games against top teams and it was shown again today. Even though Chelsea were having trouble with the new formation our CMs weren't able to hold on to possession at all. We will continue to have a poor record against the big teams while those two are in the first team. Still, last season Fergie showed that you don't have to beat the big teams to win the league. I would just like us to aspire to more than that tbh.

PS what's the story with Anderson not even making the bench today? Surely he's ahead of Gibson in the squad..

Advertisement