Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's Old Bottleknecks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

MYOB wrote: »
    And again, not in the context of serfboards post. You're wrong (again), just drop it.
    MYOB, I don't carrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre

go away!

KevR wrote: »
    I hate the Loughrea Bypass. They managed to build the whole thing with continuous white line ao there's no chance whatsoever for overtaking. I know it's going to be an R road in the long run but that's no excuse for doing such an aweful job.

What the hell are you expecting ffs???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

mysterious wrote: »
    What the hell are you expecting ffs???

See my other post above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

MYOB, I don't carrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre

go away!

You cared enough to claim I'd posted something you already had, when you hadn't. Twice.

Lucan
    Leixlip
    Maynooth
    Klicock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Behave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's a huge improvement on driving through the town but I still think they could have made it slightly straighter and been a little less enthusiastic with the solid white line (some of it is straight enough to overtake on but they put down solid white regardless).

Yeah, It was built on the cheap, because the M6'd bypass it in the end. I guess the co.co are cautious about allowing overtaking, just be glad there is a 100 limit on it.

The co.co. had to un-rezone land that they had rezoned in the path of the bypass just as the nra announced this was to go ahead. the nra told them it was cancelled unless the decision was rescinded. which in fairness to the co.co. they did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I hate the Loughrea Bypass. I know it's going to be an R road in the long run but that's no excuse for doing such an aweful job.

It should be N65 (east ) and N66 ( west) ....and hopefully they will finish the missing link west of the town real soon :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Some of the routes
    Cork - Galway
    Wateford Galway
    Kerry - Dublin (bypassed)
    Clare - Dublin
    North Cork - Dublin (bypassed)

These routes use the main streets of Limerick STILL
    The Dock Road maybe, but none of the main city centre streets (like O'Connell St, Henry St) would be used for these routes.

Croom
    Zoney wrote: »
    Patrickswell

I'm presuming either both of you have been living in a cave for several years or are just confusing these villages with somewhere else? ;) Patrickswell has been by-passed by the dual carriageway since 2000 and the Croom by-pass was completed in 2003.

Adare is the real traffic bottleneck in County Limerick, and definitely one of the worst in the country. 2 mile tailbacks on the Limerick side at 5pm on most evenings are common.

• Advertisement

grenache wrote: »
    I'm presuming either both of you have been living in a cave for several years or are just confusing these villages with somewhere else? Patrickswell has been by-passed by the dual carriageway since 2000 and the Croom by-pass was completed in 2003.

Adare is the real traffic bottleneck in County Limerick, and definitely one of the worst in the country. 2 mile tailbacks on the Limerick side at 5pm on most evenings are common.

This thread is for *former* bottlenecks. The entire point is listing places that aren't anymore!

MYOB wrote: »
    This thread is for *former* bottlenecks. The entire point is listing places that aren't anymore!
    Errr, oops, how embarassing :D

grenache wrote: »
    Errr, oops, how embarassing :D

I made the same mistake myself, some posts after having replied normally :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Some bad ones to become history in the next few months/year or more include;

Abbeyleix (of course)
    Mountrath
    Castledermot
    Waterford
    Ballinasloe
    Tullamore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

How many towns not on Primary routes are bad bottlenecks?
    Tullamore being a prime example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I always get caught in Tipperary town for some reason :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Killaloe/Ballina is bad for just regional roads connected to it. Given that the bridge only allows one way traffic is the main cause of this. A future bypass is in the pipeline and its at the route selection stage I think. Another example of a congested town with just regional roads connected to it is Athenry.

Interesting page on Killaloe bypass here:

http://www.powerboat.ie/forums/inland-waterways-ireland/3690-killaloe-bypass-bridge.html

Ratoath, Clane and Graiugenamanagh have all had bypasses/relief roads built despite only being on regional roads, let alone secondaries!

Mountcharles used to be very bad and on a secondary.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I always get caught in Tipperary town for some reason :(

Tipp town is on a National Primary; the N24 Waterford-Limerick route...though much of the road is off such a low standard you would hardly know otherwise :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Dublin - always a hell of a bottleneck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Abbeyleix is always awful - until it's bypassed next year, hopefully.

You all forgot Dundrum:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 benralph

serfboard wrote: »
    Swords
    Kinnegad
    Enfield
    Loughrea (2010)

Anyone like to add any others (I'm sure there are plenty)?

How about Oranmore?? bypassed by dual.c way back in early nineties! To be bypassed again by M6

mfitzy wrote: »
    Was stuck in Abbeyleix today and was thinking it is one of the last remaining really bad bottlekneck towns on our National road network.
    Trying to do up a list of towns that were once notorious bottleknecks that have been consigned to history;
    All used be regulars on AA Roadwatch.

Off hand I can think of;

Naas
    Monasterevin
    Portloaise
    Kilcullen
    Carlow
    Gorey
    Wexford
    Arklow
    Callan
    Cashel
    Mitchelstown
    Fermoy
    Cahir
    Nenagh
    Drogheda
    Balbriggan
    Dundalk
    Longford (N4)
    Athlone

Does anyone remember Claremorris (N17) pre 2001? & that nasty corner at the end of the town, known as the old bank corner! The town was undoubtedly one of the west's worst bottlenecks! fridays were a nightmare!

Athy, Co.Kildare on the N78? can be a rather troublesome spot!

Ballinrobe, Co.Mayo on the N84 has become a nasty bottleneck in recent years, as the main Galway-Castlebar road passes thru the town's narrow one way streets!

Clonakilty and Bandon, Co.Cork both on the N71? not to familiar with these towns, but i'd imagine traffic can be heavy thru these town's, as a section of the N71 is of dual carriageway standard east of Bandon.

Clonakilty is OK from what I've seen - there is a 'town bypass' that takes traffic off the very narrow town centre streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭patrickc

castledermot on the N9 can be a fecker also

patrickc wrote: »
    castledermot on the N9 can be a fecker also

Castledermot will be bypassed very shortly!

benralph wrote: »
    Athy, Co.Kildare on the N78? can be a rather troublesome spot!

Especially if there's a funeral going on! Town comes to a total standstill. Will be interesting to see what impact the M9 has when it opens. Should take even more traffic off the N78 from Kilkenny especially. New Link road tying in north of the town to the new road.

• Advertisement

Hard to think that the N78 is the old cork road. There is something of character about the N78 going past Athy towards Callan.

Advertisement