Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traditions you miss from when you were young

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

twanda wrote: »
    Used to hate the feckin music from Glenroe.:mad:As soon as it came on, it was like an alarm going off to my mother, that it was 9.00 and we needed to be put to bed. It was the bain of my childhood!

A tale that rings true for many Irish of a certain age.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Getting permission to stay up extra, extra late to watch the Late Late Toy Show. (Back when the show was actually good. I have been less than pleased with the more recent editions)
    What do you think?

If they have to do it, ( and I think it should have been left alone ) I reckon they have a good cast there.:pac:

Despite the fact that that was just a fan-flick, weren't they talking about making a remake movie of it? Wonder what happened that?
    Packet of Bourbon Creams? They really were quality.

Wait, are they gone?

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

My grans perfect roast dinner every sunday (In the afternoon:eek:)
    Community Games
    40-40
    Screwballs, sparkles, club shandy, penny sweets
    buying smokes for my mother I was a kid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

taytothief wrote: »
    My grans perfect roast dinner every sunday (In the afternoon:eek:)
    Community Games
    40-40
    Screwballs, sparkles, club shandy, penny sweets
    buying smokes for my mother I was a kid

If this is a different name for Kick the Can then you're probably from my road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

If this is a different name for Kick the Can then you're probably from my road!

40-40 was kinda like hide and seek :) never heard of kick the can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

Manic Moran, the Bourbon Creams aren't gone, but they just don't seem the same nowadays. I remember one day, me and my cousin got a packet of them for about 80p, and a massive, three litre monster of a bottle of cola, think it was Country Spring, for less than a quid. Went out onto the green, on a hot summers day. Passed two idle hours, munching the biscuits, then quenching our thirst. That was a great day.

Another tradition that I miss is watching the Formula 1 on RTE 1. Peter Collins manic delivery when it got exciting, I forget the name of his co-commentator, but his cool analysis and take on the pitstops....perfect Sunday watching.

Also on Sunday, after Mass, Dad would buy four chocolate donuts from the local shop. He'd serve up hot chocolate. Me and my brother got a donut each as did Dad, who'd have the other one a day or so later. That'd be sweet. The hot chocolate warm and thick, the donut with made from a good quality dough, both going down a treat on a cold morning.

Then I got diabetes(Type 1) and that tradition stopped abrubtly. Damn Diabetes.....:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

taytothief wrote: »
    40-40 was kinda like hide and seek :) never heard of kick the can

Someone was on and had to find the people hiding then touch the lampost while calling out where they were.

While the person was looking for people someone could run to the lampost and shout "40-40/Kick the Can, Kick the Can I free all!".

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

getting the wooden spoon to the arse after doing something retarded.

And you enjoyed that.......? :confused:

Doing something retarded...... thats a paddling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i'm such a big kid i still insist we do most of our traditions; for instance, there's this one xmas dec (a ballerina) that i've always put on the tree in my dad's house. even when my lil bros were tiny i'd still insist they leave that dec off when they were decorating!one time it was xmas day before it got put on!

my entire family(we're talking aunts, uncles,cousins and cousin's kids) also go down the country for Paddy's Weekend, i'd really miss that if we stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

We had lots of strange traditions growing up but one of the things I miss most about childhood was fancy dress. My granny who was a bit of a nutter in most respects, used to dress us up in costumes depicting things like stories of Dick Turpin, Robin Hood, American indians etc. Dancing around a Maypole in high-socks at a parade in Tipperary one Summer with my sisters (aged about 7) with lots of schoolfriends looking on, to my deep humiliation I might add, is a particularly abiding memory.

But we did have lots of fun and I suppose I wouldnt be the same anti-social bundle of nerves I am today without all that stuff. Ah, bless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Sunday lunch at paternal grandparents, sunday dinner at maternal grandparents.

The place being fecking empty of a sunday, riding my bike around the deserted shopping centre car park (the Boyne centre in Drogheda)

I almost, almost miss the sound of a modem dialing. Almost. Ditto the sound of a tape-loading game.

Airwolf, Knight Rider, A-Team etc. on UTV of a Saturday afternoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

Someone was on and had to find the people hiding then touch the lampost while calling out where they were.

While the person was looking for people someone could run to the lampost and shout "40-40/Kick the Can, Kick the Can I free all!".

Shock! What a blast from the past!! Lovin' this thread! :pac:

Remembered another few things

Fancy Paper -- collecting it and swopping it was the biz
    Playing marbles - Was dead jealous of my older brothers collection, especially the big 'steelies' (sp?)
    Running round our housing estate, collecting the stuff for the bonfire on Halloween- hauling unwanted sofas, mattresses etc. out of peoples houses, the smell of sulpher from bangers in the air...

Advertisement