Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wandering In The Night

• 09-08-2009 1:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

Do any of you guys go wandering during the night?

I remember I was camping in the woods with some friends in Wexford but they kept waking me saying they heard noises. I told them to go to sleep that I didn't care.

They told they'd give me 50 euro if I walked through the forest and to the all night garage about a mile away. It was nothing to me, but I can understand why people would be scared.

Is anyone here comfortable/scared of wandering through strange placed during the night?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Bono Vox wrote: »
    Do any of you guys go wandering during the night?

I remember I was camping in the woods with some friends in Wexford but they kept waking me saying they heard noises. I told them to go to sleep that I didn't care.

They told they'd give me 50 euro if I walked through the forest and to the all night garage about a mile away. It was nothing to me, but I can understand why people would be scared.

Is anyone here comfortable/scared of wandering through strange placed during the night?

I love night time wandering. Don't do it so much now my job has become 9-5-ey, but miss it. I love the quiet and the calm and the cool breeze in the air.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Late night strolls are when I do some of my best thinking actually. I find the solitude of a nocturnal meander very soothing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Late night strolls are when I do some of my best thinking actually. I find the solitude of a nocturnal meander very soothing.

That's a great word for it... soothing. Everything seems simple at 4 am on a street.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

That's a great word for it... soothing. Everything seems simple at 4 am on a street.
    Exactly you can just relax and let the night fold around you like a cloak. All the stress of the world seems so petty as you wander alone in the darkness of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Yeah sometimes it can be nice, like if I'm going back to my car after a night out (still like 2/3am or whatever) I like it. Because it's all calm. Or walking back from the cinema when it's darkish. I don't mind that at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I cant really enjoy sombre strolls in the wee hours because of living so close to everything in the city, but when i do get the chance i'll walk down along the Liffey or along some relatively quiet places to get that "i'm so peaceful right now" feeling:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I've been known to do it when completely out of it or in a weird mood.

But it usually means that something's up with me if I'm going for long walks at teh dead of night. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

I completely agree. Everything seems so peacefully far away but yet its so close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I love to run late at night... there's something that's just very pleasant and peaceful about an autumn evening with a light breeze blowing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Suicidal around my neck of the woods really :(.
    Scumbags.

• Advertisement

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Suicidal around my neck of the woods really :(.
    Scumbags.
    Wow, that's awful. Scumbags don't bother me ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Wow, that's awful. Scumbags don't bother me ever.
    Ballyfermot And Clondalkin :(.

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Ballyfermot And Clondalkin :(.
    Those really mean nothing to me as I'm here in America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 spencerzc

If I'm not out wandering and exploring the northside by foot, I enjoy taking the raleigh chopper out for an adventure and usual end up in obscure places.

It started off as a pet enjoyment casually walking miles home from town after an evening of drinking but now I go out nearly every second day (permitting) and walk/cycle for miles around.

spencerzc wrote: »
    If I'm not out wandering and exploring the northside by foot, I enjoy taking the raleigh chopper out for an adventure and usual end up in obscure places.

It started off as a pet enjoyment casually walking miles home from town after an evening of drinking but now I go out nearly every second day (permitting) and walk/cycle for miles around.
    That actually sounds like a lot of fun. My nocturnal perambulations are somewhat restricted to being to and from work most nights.

and surprisingly enough its rare you bump into any danger........unlike when i was a young scamp, there was loads of trouble on the streets.........kids are just lazy and have cars now i suppose.....

just back from a mini adventure on the chopper........not a soul out and lucky for me wind was on my back for most of it

and surprisingly enough its rare you bump into any danger........unlike when i was a young scamp, there was loads of trouble on the streets.........kids are just lazy and have cars now i suppose.....

just back from a mini adventure on the chopper........not a soul out and lucky for me wind was on my back for most of it

Define trouble. ^^

I think some bits of Dublin are probably gonna get worse again.

trouble being cheeky ass gangs ranging from pubesent morons to late twenty something year old dummies with nothing to do but roam the streets being primal with one another, as well as any poor sod who happens to bump into them. Maybe its just me but I rarely see anyone out on streets unless its closing time compared to when I was a teenager constantly roaming about.

I do think you're right though, I think its been too long and a come back is inevitable.

trouble being cheeky ass gangs ranging from pubesent morons to late twenty something year old dummies with nothing to do but roam the streets being primal with one another, as well as any poor sod who happens to bump into them. Maybe its just me but I rarely see anyone out on streets unless its closing time compared to when I was a teenager constantly roaming about.

I do think you're right though, I think its been too long and a come back is inevitable.

Dunno really.

Where I live's fairly safe, dull, etc, so you don't see a lot of people about. And I do remember when I was a kid you'd always get scumbags wandering around with nothing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Anytime I need to be on my own I tend to seek solitude in the calmness of the night. I just find that I tend to think much more clearly when out in the dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Cant beat it ...even if I'm in somewhere with a spooky reputation. Infact, more so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I have no reason to, but I remember a few years back sneaking out of the house around 1 or 2 a few times, and sneaking back early morning, never bothered me, it would've been a couple kilometres in the pitch black (no street lamps down in the middle of nowhere), much further once or twice.

There was one time I didn't even know where I was going, just that there was a party on somewhere with really loud music and I followed it through tons of backroads and **** for like an hour :P, then i got there and it was ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

You haven't been to clondalkin lately so :D It's funny confusing a junkie while he's trying to rob you at your bus stop :rolleyes:

I used to live out there when I was a kid......but no haven't been back there since so I am missing the pleasure of confusing junkies.

Sounds like fun, so much fun I'm surprised that no one has capitalised on the idea to which you have to buy a ticket to confuse the junkie

The insurance would probably be horrifically brutal

I also wouldnt look forward to the lottery of waiting for those results after you got too close and accidently pricked yourself off the junkies needle

We could always play three card monte with potheads.

haha classy

start a night time social club for bothering drug users as amusement

Please, I could buy a house running that as a business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

I love walking in the silence in the dead of night with nothing to accompany you but your own thoughts and the whisper of the night as it looms over you :)

I did it all the time when I was doing my leaving and I know Ill be getting more into it again in the winter months

Advertisement