Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitter

• 09-08-2009 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Guys, I'm looking for a few twitter users who would be interested trying out new twitter client for a mobile phones. Ideally someone with not too old (1-2 years) Nokia S40 or SonyEricsson and internet connection on the phone.

Regards,
    Anton

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

Dude, twitter is so like, last month. Oh yeah, *sips my Starbucks white caramelatte* I just sent Fiachra a message with my carrier pidgeon. It was awsome. All the cool kids in D4 are using carrier pidgeons now to communicate with the lads in Trinners and Cafe en Seine

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭anton

Uhm, whatever :) still need need that app tested. Maybe will add carrier pidgeon support in the next version.

anton wrote: »
    Uhm, whatever :) still need need that app tested. Maybe will add carrier pidgeon support in a next version.

good idea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers

Dankoozy wrote: »

"packet loss ratio of 55%, and a response time ranging from 3000 seconds to over 6000 seconds"

Hope they improve a bit by the time I get to it. And what about the night time? Pigeons don't fly at night? Wonder, if bats could be trained...

So what, any takers? BTW, the cool thing about it is that you can post pics/videos/audio recordings directly from mobile. Have a look at http://twitter.com/PavoMe

• Advertisement

i could test it for you if i could borrow some account. i have lots of phones

Dankoozy wrote: »
    i could test it for you if i could borrow some account. i have lots of phones

Indeed you do :). What about borrowing an account? Which one, the twitter one or the one at pavo.me?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I'll test it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I have a 5800 and the wife uses a blackberry storm, any use to you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 happyguy

i will help you out if you need help, i'm using a blackberry bold. let me know

Thanks guys :)

So the instructions are, go to:

http://pavo.me/invite353

there is a single 'signin with twitter' button, once you press it you're going to be redirected to twitter where you'll be asked if you want to authorize 'PavoMe' application to access your twitter profile, do it (you'll allways can revoke auth later if you stopped using the app).

Once you did that, you'll be redirected to pavo.me user's page, from it you can download jar/jad or you can enter your phone (in a format like 353851234567 no spaces, no leading zeroes) and you'll get sms with a download link.

App is 500kb in size, and photos are 50-60k videos are 100kb or more, so make sure you're on some reasonable data plan, like meteor's 99c/50Mb day or something.

If you downloading app from a page (not through the sms) make sure to get/install jad as well, as it contains authentication information and it won't work if you just installed jar file alone.

Once you started it, it connects to a server and fetches your friends timeline. The press on a joystick invokes a main menu with functions like take photo/shoot video. Left soft button is for context menu on currently selected tweet, the only functions so far is 'Reply' if it's someones elese tweeet or 'Delete' if it yours.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Guys, regarding the phone models - I have no idea about blackberry wether the standard jar file can be installed on it or not. If you can install it, welcome to try it. Most likely you won't be able to take pictures until I find what settings are to use on it.

Nokia 5800/other touch screen phones - the navigation currently is pretty much centered about joystick, so the menu most likely won't work. Though I don't know for sure. Are you able to play java games on it that require use of joystick?

Just to make sure, noone missed that: when entering the phone number for SMS enter it like:

NOT 0851234567

Don't put spaces, dashes, etc in it. Don't put leading zeroes or + in front of the number.

Seeing someone with NokiaE71 starting the app without installing it along with JAD file. It'll result in blank screen with 'Starting' in it, I'll do better error handling of course, in the meantime just make sure that you've insttalled jad file as well. Simpliest, would be to use SMS to install it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Seeing someone with NokiaE71 starting the app without installing it along with JAD file. It'll result in blank screen with 'Starting' in it, I'll do better error handling of course, in the meantime just make sure that you've insttalled jad file as well. Simpliest, would be to use SMS to install it.

Was having that exact problem. Reinstalling by sms now.

Seeing some unsuccessfull attempt for sms download, looks like the download link which is send by sms is missing authentication token.

Currently I'm sending these sms as push messages, it might be some interop problem with query parameters not being passed or something. Let me know if you're having a problem with sms download.

Hey, we've got first successfull login :)

BTW, on Nokia S40 recording video/audio requires 'Add and Edit Data' permission (so that the video could be saved to flash while it's being recorded).

To grant the permission move cursor to application, then select 'Options' -> 'Application Access' -> 'Data Access' -> 'Add and edit data' and set it to 'Ask every time'.

I like it. Nice simple interface. I can see it as a decent alternative to gravity.

Few things I'd like to see added - option to click a link in a tweet to open the browser, show a thumbnail for twitpics etc, as per slandr.net.

Bug report: Getting an unhandled exception when trying to use a wifi access point.

• Advertisement

Ron DMC wrote: »
    I like it. Nice simple interface. I can see it as a decent alternative to gravity.

Few things I'd like to see added - option to click a link in a tweet to open the browser, show a thumbnail for twitpics etc, as per slandr.net.

Bug report: Getting an unhandled exception when trying to use a wifi access point.

Thanks! Will look into adding functionality as requested.

Regarding that exception, the error handling is a bit weak at the moment (it will improve) so I can't 100% sure to what causesd that. Are you sure you're connectivity is ok when working through the AP? It'll throw an exception if it cant connect to a server. I've been using the wifi on N95 with no problem.

I've put the updated version of the app online, it has better error reporting, so if you couldn't get it working yesterday give it a try. Download it from http://pavo.me/invite353

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Works perfectly on the Nokia E71. Downloaded it through sms and was easy to install.

Looks really well. Good layout and it is easy to update your own status :pac:

Nice work

Also I connected through wifi and I didn't get any error messages or anything.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Had a look at it yesterday on my E51.

GUI needs some work. I found it rather ugly.

My primary mobile twitter client would be dabr.

Jonathan wrote: »
    Had a look at it yesterday on my E51.

GUI needs some work. I found it rather ugly.

My primary mobile twitter client would be dabr.

There isn't much of a GUI there at the moment :) What you didn't like, the icons or the list of twits?

There isn't much of a GUI there at the moment :) What you didn't like, the icons or the list of twits?
    The boxy type list of twits. Lot of wasted space. :)

Jonathan wrote: »
    The boxy type list of twits. Lot of wasted space. :)

I sort of designed it with an idea to use space as efficient as possible, targeting feature phones like Nokia S40 or SonyEricsson, so it doesn't have on screen controls and does stuff like flowing text around profile pics on tweets. It looks great on my Nokia 6300, but I have to admit I didn't quite liked how it looked on N95's bigger screen.

BTW, guys why did noone tried to take a video? I thought it would be one of the killing features of that client.

Also, is there anyone around with lower end (not S60/Symbian) Nokia or SonyEricsson phones?

BTW, guys why did noone tried to take a video? I thought it would be one of the killing features of that client.
    I'll try it once I get wifi working on it, don't want to eat up my data allowance. Won't get a chance 'til I get home though.
    Also, is there anyone around with lower end (not S60/Symbian) Nokia or SonyEricsson phones?

I'll throw it on an s40 device later and let you know how I get on.

• Advertisement

Advertisement