Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting in.

Options
  • 09-08-2009 4:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

This has to be the worst drawback of being a teenager. People prostituting their personalities so they can fit in is so false and manipulative. It seems everyone has to be a member of a certain group, it's either hurlers, metal heads, smart kids, dumb kids, scumbags or worst of all those indie posers who think it's incredibly cool to live their life like an episode of skins. It really p*sses me off when people act a certain way just because their trying to be "cool". I myself get some stick for not wanting to change but i am happy that my life cannot be defined by some stereotype from the O.C.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

Eh well I don't think I fit in to those categorys, fit into bits of all of them (except scumbag) and I don't even try. And you shouldnt either OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I've never tried to fit in :/

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Deedeecupcake

Ive never tried to fit in but i think after spending time with a group of people you do tend to lean towards the same music and fashion etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 icanchange49

This has to be the worst drawback of being a teenager. People prostituting their personalities so they can fit in is so false and manipulative. It seems everyone has to be a member of a certain group, it's either hurlers, metal heads, smart kids, dumb kids, scumbags or worst of all those indie posers who think it's incredibly cool to live their life like an episode of skins. It really p*sses me off when people act a certain way just because their trying to be "cool". I myself get some stick for not wanting to change but i am happy that my life cannot be defined by some stereotype from the O.C.

i dont try to fit in either lump but i agree with everything you say!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

i dont try to fit in either lump but i agree with everything you say!
    Your name begs to differ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

people are always gonna stereotype you no matter what you do. if you try and fit in you are a sheep and if you don't you're either a flake or a loner...there's just no winning with some people...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Aye,I know of a lot of them ''Skins'' posers.

''Omg,I'm young and I'm gonna go to party and get drunk and just because I smoke some weed I'll be so cool while dancing to Kasabian''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

I really don't get this... Either you're friends with these people and have gotten to know them well enough to know they're not being themselves, in which case hating them seems a bit odd and trying to help them be happier would make more sense... or, you don't know them at all and seem to be assuming that just because it's not your scene, no one else could possibly want that and it's all an act. Still seems odd to me that you would hate them...

If people are trying to force you to 'fit in' and be unlike yourself, then yeah, hate away, or better still, leave them to their boring predictable lives and hang out with cooler people... I just can't see why you'd have a problem with the people trying to fit in, feel sorry for them and try to let them be themselves, sure, but hate them? Why?

Aye,I know of a lot of them ''Skins'' posers.

''Omg,I'm young and I'm gonna go to party and get drunk and just because I smoke some weed I'll be so cool while dancing to Kasabian''

yeah i hate those people who wish their lives were like a tv series. word of advise, losers-its not reality, its entertainment!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Yeah, I've never exactly tried to fit in either tbh.

I hate those groups of teenagers who all dress and act really similarly, freaks me outttttt!

• Advertisement

they scare me a bit too! especially those girls who have birds nest hair and say oh my god a lot :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

To paraphrase that Ikea ad on tv, you should mold yourself to suit your own needs, not to serve the needs of others. Think about it: don't assholes succeed more often that 'nice people'?

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    To paraphrase that Ikea ad on tv, you should mold yourself to suit your own needs, not to serve the needs of others. Think about it: don't assholes succeed more often that 'nice people'?

i think im the exception to that rule!;)

All i know is when i was in school i was a nice person but i had a few friends because of this. Then in college i turned into a major asshole and became popular. That said the kind of people you attract when your popular tend to be shallow and transparent. To be honest i never gave these people the time of day- people like this are everywhere in dublin :mad: The moral of the story- trust no one!

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    All i know is when i was in school i was a nice person but i had a few friends because of this. Then in college i turned into a major asshole and became popular. That said the kind of people you attract when your popular tend to be shallow and transparent. To be honest i never gave these people the time of day- people like this are everywhere in dublin :mad: The moral of the story- trust no one!

oh yeah i'm nice but im a totaaal loner! dems are the breaks i guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Lol, I'm amazed "hurlers" are their own little group :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Ive never tried to fit in but i think after spending time with a group of people you do tend to lean towards the same music and fashion etc.
    i dont fit in at all with my friends, fashion or other. they're still the best friends ive ever had. if you just be your own individual self you be supprised how many people you can actually be friends with as opposed to "limiting" yourself if you steer towards a single category.

I have 3 completely seperate "clicks" of friends, which dont mix well together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Piste wrote: »
    Why? I would have thought the "jocks" would have been a fairly common teenage clique.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Why? I would have thought the "jocks" would have been a fairly common teenage clique.

Ah yeah they can be. I moved schools after the JC to another part of the country and it's funny how cliques really don't differ too much from place to place other than by the label everyone knows them as...

And in fairness lads, I agree that you shouldn't change who you are just to fit in but at the same time it's not very cool to look down on people who do that. Being a teenager sucks most of the time and if the only way (for the foreseeable future) you can get talking to people your own age is to put on a bit of an act... Ok so I'm not phrasing this well at all but I hope ya get my meaning? Some people don't know any better I spose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

This has to be the worst drawback of being a teenager. People prostituting their personalities so they can fit in is so false and manipulative. It seems everyone has to be a member of a certain group, it's either hurlers, metal heads, smart kids, dumb kids, scumbags (Fat kids. Skinny kids. Even kids with chicken pox!)or worst of all those indie posers who think it's incredibly cool to live their life like an episode of skins. It really p*sses me off when people act a certain way just because their trying to be "cool". I myself get some stick for not wanting to change but i am happy that my life cannot be defined by some stereotype from the O.C.

Anyone else think this reads like a Junior Cert English essay?

I think I've heard this rant so many times before, that those who spew it out are becoming their own little clique.

• Advertisement

Right now as i'm typing this there is a big bunch of skangers across my window all nacker drinking and making noise. No one from my side of the neighborhood dares to cross that road..we avoid it if possible. I could put on a real skanger accent, dress down and act like a gob****e but i won't. Skangers are themselves in a world all their own :pac:

I wont conform,I just wont!!!!11!!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

Neither will I, let's all not conform together!:P

As someone said earlier, at the end of the day it simply is important to fit in- being a loner is no fun (well not as much fun as having many friends, I'd imagine). It is possible however to fit in without changing yourself. There are quite a few people who really feel comfortable with a certain stereotypical look, and at the same time there are loads who are perfectly happy and popular without being a plastic imitation of someone else.

I'm adding nothing new whatsoever to this discussion by saying this, but to each their own.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Piste wrote: »

That's because you're not of us culchies, Piste.

Seriously. In my last school there was the hurler's clique. They all hung out together ALL the time, discussing the GAA (prollllllly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

In Mayo we have Gaelic Football-heads instead of Hurlers but its basically the same little clique. The thing is I actually play football and love going to Mayo matches (sickened after today :() but I hate the d1ckheads who base their entire life around how good they are at football.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

bythewoods wrote: »
    That's because you're not of us culchies, Piste.

Seriously. In my last school there was the hurler's clique. They all hung out together ALL the time, discussing the GAA (prollllllly).

Yes, this is very true. There was one in my school too. No wait, all over west Waterford.

Waterford lost the semi- final today so I have to pretend to give a crap for the next few days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Lawl... stereotypes. Individuality FTW!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Lawl... stereotypes. Individuality FTW!

And remember kids, it takes a very special kind of individuality to use clichéd memes and still sound original!

An File wrote: »
    And remember kids, it takes a very special kind of individuality to use clichéd memes and still sound original!
    The /b/ individuality we all know and love.

Individual individuality is individual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

An File wrote: »

Touché sir *tips hat*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement