Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commerce and Apples

Options
  • 09-08-2009 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Okay, so most if not all the courses in the Quinn school require a laptop with special software to help students during their course or whatever.

I could possibly be going to Quinn school next year, but, am a Mac user and as it so happens have just bought a new Mac laptop.

I'm wondering is it okay that I have one of these in Quinn, like, will they work for what I may need it for in the course?

All macs are able to run windows operating systems and boot windows software these days.

If anybody had any experience with this matter please let me know!

Thanks a mil!

:]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

http://www.ucd.ie/quinn/studentlife/ourlearningenvironment/technologyquinn/quinnlaptopprogramme/supplyingyourownlaptop/

Requirements listed at that link..

I know someone who had a mac last year and never had any problems with it. Just make sure you can boot windows on it and you're away.. Only special software is MS Office, which you can get at student rates, and then free anti-virus from UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

You'll be fine, spent the last year of my course with a Macbook Pro and no hassle. No need to boot in windows at all TBH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭booyah1024

i think the only reason they are strict on your laptop is so they control the laptop user base and don't have to do anymore work than they need to.

not supporting 2003 version of office is completely stupid, as is requiring that your laptop has a minimum of 2gigs of ram, sorry but to run office you don't need that.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

Actually, not supporting the 2003 version of office makes perfect sense. The interface was overhauled in the 2007 version, so trying to teach people to use it and having to deal with two separate versions which look totally different and would be confusing for the students and time-consuming for the instructors.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭c7

You should be fine! I ended up buying one of those useless laptops and regret it but lots of people I know in Quinn use them without trouble. ILTG in Quinn are notoriously difficult even to deal with their own "QuinnBooks" but you won´t be on your own! Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭RuehlTheWorld

Like, am I going to have to put up with a lot of nonsense and hassle from 'I.T guys' and lecturers/tutors, etc.?

If I can boot Windows XP (which Quinn recommend over Vista as it is) I can surely boot any software they want, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

Like, am I going to have to put up with a lot of nonsense and hassle from 'I.T guys' and lecturers/tutors, etc.?

If you come along to class unequipped to run the software required for the exercises in that class and you delay the entire class and waste the lecturers time while this is determined, then you will indeed be unpopular with lecturers and the like, especially if you know full well that your machine is not suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭RuehlTheWorld

Well I wouldn't really know full well if it's unsuitable or not till I get there would I?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I guess once the machine runs (or can run ) XP it's a moot point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

The UI for office 2007 for windows and office 2008 for mac is completely different, also the trackpad drivers for windows isn't great on the unibody macbooks and macbook pro. When using windows on my mbp, I usually use a mouse.

If they don't want you using office 2003, then they won't want you using office 2008 for mac either, but there shouldn't be any problems with you using your macbook with windows XP(either in a dual boot config or using virtualization software). Office for windows is much nicer then office for mac anyway!

• Advertisement
Advertisement