Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disinfect Coins

• 09-08-2009 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,

anyone know the best way to disinfect (clean) money - coins & paper - would uv work?

Thanks,

Andy ;-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

if you plan to sellthem you probly shouldnt.....

brown sauce works :o i think :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

If you clean coins they'll become worthless from a collectors point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dsuser896

Blade wrote: »
    If you clean coins they'll become worthless from a collectors point of view.

Really???? why would that be. I had no idea!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

dsuser896 wrote: »
    Really???? why would that be. I had no idea!

Well you know now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

dsuser896 wrote: »
    why would that be.

I'm only guessing but I think it may have something to do with the patina. Similar with medals really, if there is a nice patina on it a collector wouldn't want it removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Yes. I heard before that you're Not meant to clean coins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 BBQ Guy

Hi there

I am an academically trained metals conservator with coins (numismatics) making up a big part of my business. In no way shape or form should you attempt to conserve a coin. The folks on this thread are 100% correct in that if you remove the patina from a coin it has just lost 80% of it's value not to mention the possible addition of scratches etc. Honestly 40% of my contracts are "fixing" coins private individuals have attempted to clean. Hope this helps.

If you simply want to disinfect coins, soak them in vinegar for an hour then rinse with distilled water.

Advertisement