Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing some Trellis

Options
  • 09-08-2009 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, anyone out there able to recommend someone to supply and fit some trellis for me please. Want to cover up a bare wall in the back garden and think trellis is probably best. The length of the wall is 182 x 75 inches. South Dublin is the area in question. Any info you may have would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Lambo100 wrote: »
    Hi, anyone out there able to recommend someone to supply and fit some trellis for me please. Want to cover up a bare wall in the back garden and think trellis is probably best. The length of the wall is 182 x 75 inches. South Dublin is the area in question. Any info you may have would be great.

I presume the wall is 182" [15 feet] long and just over 6 feet high?

Some of the others here may recommend planting some creepers as an alternative but if u are any way handy I will pen some lines on how to fit the trellis: its easy enough:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lambo100

Thanks Carlow52 for the reply. Yes, that's correct with the measurements. Please do jot some lines on how best to do this, always willing to give it a go, especially at the moment when I have a week off, and that it will save me a few quid in the process. My only concern was cutting the trellis to fit (would a hand saw suffice without messing it up..?). Although it's a continuous wall, made up of breeze blocks, in the middle there is a section of about 35 inches sticking out, so it's not one flat wall. The first piece is 98 inches, then the part sticking out is 35 inches and the end of the wall is 52 inches. Whatever guidance you could give would be great. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Lambo100 wrote: »
    Thanks Carlow52 for the reply. Yes, that's correct with the measurements. Please do jot some lines on how best to do this, always willing to give it a go, especially at the moment when I have a week off, and that it will save me a few quid in the process. My only concern was cutting the trellis to fit (would a hand saw suffice without messing it up..?). Although it's a continuous wall, made up of breeze blocks, in the middle there is a section of about 35 inches sticking out, so it's not one flat wall. The first piece is 98 inches, then the part sticking out is 35 inches and the end of the wall is 52 inches. Whatever guidance you could give would be great. Thanks again.

Breeze block: why do you thing it is this?

The projection is most lightly a pier added for strength, perhaps a double pier with an expansion joint.

Any chance of a picture or 2:) of the wall and the trellis u have in mind.

Anyway the handsaw will be fine.

The main idea I have is that you fix lengths of pressure treated 4" by 2" or maybe a bit less, 3 by 1.5, horizontally across the wall near the top and bottom of the trellis and you can then easily screw fix the trellis to these timbers. It is much easier to get the trellis looking right this way.

You should pre drill the trellis for the screws, u wont spit the timber

If u go for a 6 foot trellis then u may need a third row in the middle, depends on the weight/size.

You should keep it up off the ground as it will last longer.

You will need an sds masonry drill and some good fixings to hold on the 4 by 2: more to follow: must go now:)

Advertisement