Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please?

Options
  • 09-08-2009 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

I just have few questions about internet and stuff.

I live in house which was remade into flats, so there is a lot of people. We have 1 wireless router, for everyone who lives in that house.
    I hate that internet because when someone is downloading something it lags and disconnects. So probably it has a phone line already.

I plan to get my own internet from Smart.

1. Can I ask or install another phone line but going personally into my flat?

2. In my flat, I have a little box on wall with Eircom logo, and it has a port like Internet Card does. What's that?

3. Maybe there is any internet provider that connects cable? not modem or anything, but just straight a cable into pc? Except NTL. because they don't provide internet in my area.

4. If I don't have a phone line, if I pay for it they will install it? Will they rebuild whole house? or just a hole in wall?

Thanks. :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

1. Depends, do you own it, or are you renting? If you are renting you have to ask for permission from the landlord. I don't see any other reason why not, however you may be charged a higher install fee since it is an apartment.

2. That sounds like the phone line, however it sounds like it may be disabled.

3. UPC/ntl are the only people who provide cable nationally in Ireland.

4. It sounds like you have a phone line already.. But if you dont.. It basically just is yes, a hole in the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Well, I have a phone line I think, but I have nothing to do with it, landlord does. And it's only for internet in house. Btw that wireless router is from Irish Broadband. And phone line is going from outside straight into some black box and then into router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You need to ring eircom, ask them to install a phone line, and then get broadband on that. Forget everything else that's already in the house if you don't own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

oh ok, any other possibility why they wont connect new phone line?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It sounds like you need to discuss the issue first with your landlord to get his/her permission and to clarify if he is aware if there are any disconnected lines around the house.

Eircom might not provide you with service if you have a bad credit record or something like that but I am not sure of their policy in such matters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement