Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blow drying your kids hair

Options
  • 09-08-2009 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if using the hair dryer to dry your kids hair after every shower/bath is damaging their hair. I have 2 daughters 3 and 5 and both have lovely long hair but my wife insists on blow drying it everytime. I've told her that I don't think this is good for their hair and that it should be allowed to dry naturally.
    Any thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

Blow drying is one of the things they recommend to kill off nits (heat destroys them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

I don't see any reason to blow dry hair at this time of the year unless the kids are about to go to bed.
    Blow drying does damage the hair.
    As far as nits are concerned I generally find it best to put conditioner on their hair and comb it through with a fine comb. I've long since given up on using the chemicals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭lolly22

Erm i blow dry my daughters hair every evening after her bath she's under 2 but thats because i put her to bed soon after and i dont want her sleeping with wet hair.

I thought having her sleep on wet hair every night would be bad ? but i never knew blow drying her hair was damaging :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

why would blow drying hair be damaging to it - isn't it dead hair already??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lolo26

Heat damages hair so I'd say if you must blow-dry make sure the hair dryer is on a low heat setting. I let my daughters hair dry naturally most of the time and if that means bathing her a little earlier so its dry going to bed so be it. She'll thanks me when she's older and her hair is in really good condition! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I only blow dry my little guys hair before he goes to bed, so that he isnt sleeping on wet hair. I do it on a cool setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Blow drying damages hair. If you are worried about nits, as a previous poster mentioned, just add a few drops of tea tree oil to the shampoo the kids use, it will stop them from getting nits in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

I've blow dried my hair practially every day of my life - its soft and has a great shine on it. 2 daughters have perfect hair too so using a hair dryer certainly doesn't dry out everyone's hair.

Advertisement