Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recessed spotlights

Options
  • 09-08-2009 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭

Trying to make a few home improvements at the moment and thinking about getting some spotlights fitted to maybe sitting room, kitchen & upstairs bathroom.

We're in no way technical so will definitely be getting a pro in to do it but wondering how much roughly it might cost before I start to consider it seriously or not!

I think we'd be looking for maybe 6 spotlights in sitting room, 4 in kitchen and maybe 3 in bathroom. I'd like to have the sitting room one on a dimmer switch. Can anyone give me an idea of what I'd expect to be paying for someone to do all that?

Also, is it possible to get that done without needing to repaint/plaster? We've had some painting done over the last while (should have done lights first!) and don't want to have to re-do it so soon if possible.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

by spotlights do u mean recessed lighting?

Cant help on cost but the amount of work depends on ease of access to the existing lights and routing the cables past the ceiling joists.

there will be some re-plastering painting, depends on how it is done
    can the ceiling be accessed from above.

The bathroom lights will be more expensive because of damp environment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Also bear in mind that regular halogen spots are very expensive to run in the long term and don't last very long - there are LED and CFL alternatives but they're not as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Yes recessed lighting......
    Was was hoping there might be a way it can be done without replastering/painting. The bathroom is upstairs so guessing it could be accessed from the attic, but the other two rooms would have to be accessed through the floors in the bedroom (carpeted floor).

Would still like an idea on price if anyone can help with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

well approx 250 for the 13 fittings

without seeing it and knowing how hard it would be to get at the fittings, move stuff around, maybe 30 euro a point after that, but its too hard to say it would require a site survey, the dimmer switch would be about another 30-50 euro depending on its finish.

oh and think about the left over centre lights, will you want them removed and patched or just the flex removed from the ceiling rose.

Someone might give you a nice competitive all in price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Thanks for that - have a friend of a friend who's an electrician so might ask him to call over and get a definite price. Was only thinking about the ceiling rose thing in centre of the room earlier on...... lot to think about!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 directlight

I also tried the new Robus 3W 48LED GU10s aswell,and the light quality and spread is very very good indeed.Alot better than the last generation of LED GU10s.

I installed them in the bathroom and also the ensuite too.A nice homely warm white colour off these LEDs too.They last for 13 years.

Robus say that they the equivilent to a normal 35W GU10,but they are just as bright as a 50W GU10.

9 euro each.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I also tried the new Robus 3W 48LED GU10s aswell,and the light quality and spread is very very good indeed.Alot better than the last generation of LED GU10s.

I installed them in the bathroom and also the ensuite too.A nice homely warm white colour off these LEDs too.They last for 13 years.

Robus say that they the equivilent to a normal 35W GU10,but they are just as bright as a 50W GU10.

9 euro each.

I sincerely doubt they will...

OP, if you're looking at using LEDs (and you should in this day & age for energy consumtpion reasons) the Philips MasterLED work very satisfactorily... See the other stickey'd thread in this forum for info on LED spotlights and the photos of same...

If you're not going to use LEDs, you should plan for the future when LEDs will be cheaper to buy, and use 12V 35W dichroic spots not, rather than 230V halogens...it'll be easier to switch to LEDs in future, and the LEDs you would buy then will be more reliable fas the heat dissipation will be split from the LED itself & the transformer being separate

For the spotlights in your house, make sure to consider:
    how they are switched
    - you say a dimmer in the sitting room - do you want them all dimming together?
    - in the bathroom, will they switch with an extract fan? does the extract fan run on for 15 mins also?

how they will be fitted
    - you note that you want to not need replastering / painting - don't forget that the creation of holes in the ceiling needs to be air sealed for sound transfer purposes...

Advertisement