Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live on Northside but need accessible transport to get to college in UCD

Options
  • 09-08-2009 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hey Everyone,

I'm starting in UCD this September but I'm having trouble finding accessible transport. I know I could use buses and while the warm weather is here that would be ok but I have lung problems and as the cold and rain come back, it wouldnt be very good for me to be out in all kinds of weather's so I need to find accessible transport.
    I use a motorised chair. Unfortunately, Vantastic arent available at the times I need and Lucan Disability Action Group cant justify coming from the Southside to the Northside and back again for just one client.

So I was wondering does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do :confused:? Am going to start ringing taxi companies tomorrow to ask them what their availability is like but I havent had the best experiences in the past; sometimes they leave you sitting there waiting until a taxi 'just happens to be in the area!'. Also the college will be paying for this, through the European Fund for People with Disabilities so they wont pay for someone charging a huge price.

Any ideas would be appreciated!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Heya.
    I worked as a cover PA in UCD last year for a few students. Probably gonna do it again this year I enjoyed it so much :)

The vast majority of the students I worked for had struck up a deal with a taxi driver to collect them each day to and from college.
    Perhaps ring a company and ask If there would be any RELIABLE driver intrested in a regular arrangment to and from UCD? In the current economic climate you should be able to bargain a decent deal.

Also another idea is to see If there is other students coming from the Northside who would like to share a taxi to keep the costs down.
    You could put an advert up on the ucd forum on boards or on the student union boards. http://www.ucdsu.ie

Hope that helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rachc

Hey panda100,
    I may have sorted my transport problems; waiting to hear from a taximan who used to bring me back and forth to my last college, he said he'd try and sort something out for me! But if it doesnt work out I will certainly try out your suggestion of a shared taxi. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

Hi

UCD has a disability access support officer and it would be advisable for you to make contact - I think John Bennet is still in the post. Maybe you could contact Vantastic which is a transport service for disabled people - or alternatively centres for independent living - to see if they have a list of taxi companies that have on their books wheelchair accessible taxies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

You should try Vantastic , There like a taxi service for people in wheelchair's
    There really cheap aswell !

http://www.vantastic.ie/

They are a great service :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Would you consider accommodation in UCD? AFAIK they have a few specially adapted apartments.

You don't say where on the northside, but there are several direct routes to UCD.

2 - normal services, from the city centre, right into UCD.

3, 10/a/c, 11b - normal services, from the northside, right into UCD.

27x, 32x, 37x, 39b, 41x, 46x, 58x, 70b - mostly quite limited services, right into UCD.

116, 746 - Mostly quite limited services, from the northside, pass by on the dual carraigeway outside.

7b, 7d, 46a, 46b, 46c, 46d, 58c 63, 84, 84x, 117, 118, 145 - pass by on the dual carraigeway outside and operate to the city centre.

www.dublinbus.ie
    www.mkmap.com/dublin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

Victor wrote: »
    Would you consider accommodation in UCD? AFAIK they have a few specially adapted apartments.

You don't say where on the northside, but there are several direct routes to UCD.

2 - normal services, from the city centre, right into UCD.

3, 10/a/c, 11b - normal services, from the northside, right into UCD.

27x, 32x, 37x, 39b, 41x, 46x, 58x, 70b - mostly quite limited services, right into UCD.

116, 746 - Mostly quite limited services, from the northside, pass by on the dual carraigeway outside.

7b, 7d, 46a, 46b, 46c, 46d, 58c 63, 84, 84x, 117, 118, 145 - pass by on the dual carraigeway outside and operate to the city centre.

www.dublinbus.ie
    www.mkmap.com/dublin

The girl has a respiratory condition and doesnt want to get a chest/lung infection from waiting for a bus in the cold wet weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

TirNaNog. wrote: »
    The girl has a respiratory condition and doesnt want to get a chest/lung infection from waiting for a bus in the cold wet weather.
    And I gave several options, including living in UCD and direct buses that she may not have been aware of.

Advertisement