Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live on Northside but need accessible transport to get to college in UCD

Options
  • 09-08-2009 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hey Everyone,

I'm starting in UCD this September but I'm having trouble finding accessible transport. I know I could use buses and while the warm weather is here that would be ok but I have lung problems and as the cold and rain come back, it wouldnt be very good for me to be out in all kinds of weather's so I need to find accessible transport.

I use a motorised chair.

So I was wondering does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do :confused:? Am going to start ringing taxi companies tomorrow to ask them what their availability is like but I havent had the best experiences in the past; sometimes they leave you sitting there waiting until a taxi 'just happens to be in the area!'. Also the college will be paying for this, through the European Fund for People with Disabilities so they wont pay for someone charging a huge price.

Any ideas would be appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

Poot. You're nowhere near the Dart line, I presume? Although actually, now I think, Darts probably aren't all that accessible, are they? I was thinking in terms of door width, rather forgetting about the gap between platform and door. I have seen folk in chairs on the dart mind you, but they may have someone with them to help them over the gap :/

I'm coming up a complete blank unless college will pay for driving lessons and a modified car :(

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rachc

Hey Microgirl,
    I'm near enough to the Dart but again it would be travelling to and from the Dart and unfortunately they are also not the most reliable. They bring down a ramp for you to drive up onto the train and then they're supposed to ring ahead to your destination so there will be someone waiting on you but there are times when I've been left sitting on the Dart panicking about what to do when no one's there waiting!!

I wish the college would pay for a car for me but I think I might be told where to go if I asked them :D!!

Thanks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Is there any way you could make an arrangement with a taxi company to bring you to and from ucd for a flat weekly or monthly fee? With the current economic climate and their constant complaints regarding not being able to make money, surely there's one driver out there who would help you out?

If you could drive, would there be any possibility of them paying your expenses, perhaps on a similar arrangements as businesses pay employees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Yeah I think a local independent taxi man/woman might be interested rather than one of the big taxi companies.

Failing that, I would contact the IWA for advice. http://www.iwa.ie/

Waraf, I got a list of accessible taxi companies and individuals from IWA and thats what I'm going to work on tomorrow. Theres a couple of taxipeople who it says live on the southside so I think I might try them first; I know they'd have to come across the city to pick me up but at least they'd end up back in their own area to continue their day's work.
    Convert, I guess you're right things have changed and maybe the taxi companies will be more accomodating; have just found them difficult in the past!! Unfortunately I cant drive and have had an operation on my neck which restricts my neck movement so I dont think I'll ever be able to drive :(.
    Totally off topic but are you all students in UCD? Do you like it there? I am excited but kinda nervous aswell!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Not me anyway. I'm off to DCU this year at night (easier to get to for northsiders ;)). Good luck in UCD :)

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Have you tried contacting NRC? They're the biggest taxi company (I know of) in Dublin and I've seen plenty of accessible cabs with their name on top so they may be willing to provide you with a regular service.. http://www.radiocabs.ie/ if you want to give it a shot..

As for UCD, it's great! Loved 1st year and can't wait to get back..

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I thought most of Dublin's buses were accessible, with ramps and the ability to lower for access? (More here.) In that case. if you can get to somewhere served by the 46A, you should be OK. They have a free travel assistance program to get you familiarised with the buses, too.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

how come you didn't consider living on campus? I knew a lad that used one of those motorished chairs in tcd and he had a room on campus but would often commute some of the days. swords cabs are a very reliable firm for taxis and i'm sure you could come to an agreeable arrangment with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 lklklk89

Is say you have a very high chance of being offered a place on campus. I know there were a few people with motorised chairs living in glenomena residences last year. It is definitely worth calling the accommodation office. There should be funding in place to foot some of the bill, if there isn't, then I'm ashamed to be a UCD student.

• Advertisement

First off, want to thank everyone for the replies. I really appreciate everyone's input. Unfortunately I can't live on campus because my mam is my main carer, therefore I need to live at home. This morning I called a taxi man I use a lot to get out and about and explained my situation and he's going to do his best to get something sorted for me so hopefully my troubles are sorted. If it doesnt work out with the taxi's, I'm going to enquire whether I can hire a PA who would just travel to and from college with me; they could hold a brolly, help me onto the bus etc. I will let you all know how it goes and who knows maybe I'll bump into some of you on campus! I'll be the blonde in the power chair with the oxygen on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

There's a huge amount of services available from the UCD Disability Support Service - http://www.ucd.ie/disability/ - so if you haven't contacted them yet, then do so RIGHT NOW (especially before you start to contemplate hiring a PA - that's the sort of thing they can organise for you).

Good luck at UCD!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The disability office in UL operates a minibus service, does the same office in UCD not do the same?

Advertisement