Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan's pub, Swords.

Options
  • 09-08-2009 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

I see Ryans has been taken down to expose the castle, makes a big improvement to the Main Street.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Yes. It looks much more impressive. Can't wait for the rest of the abandoned buildings to be torn down.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dylbert wrote: »
    I see Ryans has been taken down to expose the castle, makes a big improvement to the Main Street.
    Only last week I said that I must take a pic before it goes! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Looks great, now if they can only get rid of that barbers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Himself and the parrot are holding out for a bigger offer I presume!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

I have to agree, the main street looks fantastic since they knocked it.
    It was the first thing I noticed when driving down main st yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Himself and the parrot are holding out for a bigger offer I presume!

Apparently he was offered €250,000 back when the goings were good, he'd be lucky to get a fraction of that now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Here's a quick snap (Thanks Kresten ;))
    swords.jpg w604.png

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Wow, that really opens up that end of the street.

And a really nice view of the castle to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Walking down to get the bus this morning and I was like "hello? when that happen".

But looks great. Yeah hopefully they'll get rid of all the other buildings. But I think the barber is there for life! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bombe

I remember going to school in Fingal and you could not really get a good idea of what the castle looked like....well this is a great picture....castle coming back to its former glory....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kcools

sharkman wrote: »
    Here's a quick snap (Thanks Kresten ;))
    swords.jpg w604.png

Glad to be of assistance fella!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Wow! who knew thats what lay behind the squalor :P

Was it like that on Saturday? Round 4ish? because I ran by and I dont remember seeing a castle lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rebelgun

dylbert wrote: »

fair play to that barber, hope he gets at least half a million. terrible shame to see a great pub go. did the council give planning permission to deface that castle.

deface?

If you say so, looks terribly fooked to me haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

rebelgun wrote: »
    fair play to that barber, hope he gets at least half a million. terrible shame to see a great pub go. did the council give planning permission to deface that castle.

Its been closed for about 6 years now, hardly a great pub anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

QOTSA90 wrote: »
    deface?

I think the words your looking for is restore to its former self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rebelgun

former glory, you seem very knowleable, what period was this? during the glorious empire days? just asking
    anyway I thought it looked quaint as a ruin, full of charm and character
    do you think the purchase and demolition of pub was worth €5million?
    so is it a church? a hall? an office or just a useless folly marking the ego of a fingal co co employee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

former glory, you seem very knowleable, what period was this? during the glorious empire days? just asking
    anyway I thought it looked quaint as a ruin, full of charm and character
    do you think the purchase and demolition of pub was worth €5million?
    so is it a church? a hall? an office or just a useless folly marking the ego of a fingal co co employee

I respect your opinion but I think €5m is very little to change Swords main street from what was essentially a very ugly street lacking anything aestetically pleasing to something other than. Its still not exactly pretty but the castle adds a great deal to it.
    I like it:pac:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~aroundswords/swordshistory.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Ryans was never a great pub, unless you where barred from every other pub on the street. They offered the barber a lot of money plus a new shop to buy him out of his lease, bet he’s sorry he never took it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/ryans-levelled-as-red-tape-cleared-1856714.html
    Ryan's levelled as red tape cleared
    LOCAL LANDMARK DEMOLISHED IN DAYS

By Robin KIELY and John MANNING

Wednesday August 12 2009

THE wrecking ball finally got to do its work on the site of Ryan's pub when the building was levelled to the ground after red tape that held the project up was cleared. Demolition work was delayed on the site after the council was told that the works had to be authorised by the Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, John Gormley TD.

' We were originally informed we didn't require ministerial consent to take it down to ground level,' a council spokesperson told the Fingal Independent.

'Subsequently, were informed we a ministerial order was required.

'We have applied for that consent and are awaiting a response from the minister. It is totally in his hands.' On Thursday, the bureaucratic delays were overcome and demolition work resumed on the site, tearing the building apart in a matter of a couple of days. The council shelled out € 5.4 million to purchase Ryan's - which was Swords' oldest pub - and a number of adjacent properties in 2004.

In April of this year, the local authority told councillors it had commissioned a screen for demolition works at the site and other buildings acquired on the street.

It noted there could be no 'wholesale demolition' of the site as some buildings still had tenants and said it planned to erect hoarding depicting various aspects of Swords to cover other derelict structures in the short term.

The removal of Ryan's is set to expose the refurbished chapel area of the castle to the Main Street, restoring it as the town's centre piece once more.

Following nearly three years of intricate work on the Swords site, the chapel is almost ready for viewing, having undergone a complete refurbishment.

Part of the rear of Ryan's has already been cleared, revealing the repointed stone work and stained glass windows of the building, which it's believed dates back to the 13th or 14th century.

The castle's gate house and entrance are next in line for restoration, a project which is expected to take two years to complete.

- Robin KIELY and John MANNING

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/brothers-made-big-decision-to-sell-pub-1856713.html
    Brothers made big decision to sell pub

By John MANNING

Wednesday August 12 2009

THE long process that has led to the demolition of Ryan's pub began almost exactly five years ago when the owners of the property and Fingal County Council came to an agreement.

Deeds to purchase Ryan's public house in Swords were formally signed at that time and the pub and some of its surrounding buildings were bought by Fingal County Council.

The Ryan brothers, Matt and Joe, took the difficult decision to sell one of the oldest pubs in Swords to the council so it could progress its ambitious plans Swords Castle.

Fine Gael councillor Anne Devitt and now retired Senior Executive Officer in the development department, Liam McGlynn, were the two council signatories on the documents which saw the local authority buy the pub for 5.4 million.

At that time the local authority made the purchase to breathe new life into one of the oldest parts of Swords in a multi-million euro development which would highlight Swords Castle and create a 'Parisian-style boulevard' as well as arts and

for crafts shops.

The Ryan properties constitute a block of buildings in front of Swords Castle from the Bridge Street/Main Street entrance to the castle to the Seatown Road/North Street road junction.

It has long been an objective of the council to develop a pedestrian walkway outside the castle perimeter at this location.

Discussions took place with the Ryan's for two years before the sale exploring the possibility of them ceding parts of their properties to facilitate the development of the walkway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Was talking to the barber a while ago and he said he's going nowhere!! He has the upper hand as he doesn't have to move, the council have to get him out, so I don't think the market will dictate the price on his move.

I heard Ryan's went for €6 million not €5 million is this true??

All'n'All, I have to say if they can get the Barber out then the top of the main street will look great.

Some info on the castle in the attached link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭roneythetube

forgive me lack of planning law knowledge but why can FCC just not put a CPO on that barbers and get him out rather than having one greedy geezer holding up the whole project?:(

celticbest wrote: »
    Was talking to the barber a while ago and he said he's going nowhere!! He has the upper hand as he doesn't have to move, the council have to get him out, so I don't think the market will dictate the price on his move.
    As said above they can serve a CPO on it if they so desire. The barber will only get a snip of the 2004 price.
    I heard Ryan's went for €6 million not €5 million is this true??
    Both are incorrect, it was €5.4m
    Some info on the castle in the attached link.
    Thanks, read it from the link above (post 20) already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Tis a pitty, Ryans was a good pub when it was open and it was there since the early 1800's

I wish they would get rid of it quick, I walked in there one day after my other barber was closed - think I sat down for 30seconds before I walked out.
    The small of that feckin bird and the smell of damp was rank. It seems to be caught in the year 1990 with lots of Italia'90 paper cut outs everywhere!

Advertisement